Toyota THAILAND Open 2021 (S1000) : R/32-FINAL (19-24 January)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Jan 18, 2021.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

He has been tested daily and he is negative in all the results. And BAI contacted BWF and made possible for Kidambi to attend the WTF. And he already started training.

terrynguyen121988 likes this.
  2. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

Yes , here is the conclusion.
    https://360badminton.com/news/bwf-p...ction-in-the-total-prize-pool-of-tournaments/

Here are the possible reductions in prize money.

1. Super 1000 – from US$1.1 million to US$850,000
    2. Super 750 – from US$750,000 to US$600,000
    3. Super 500 – from US$400,000 to US$320,000
    4. Super 300 – from US$200,000 to US$140,000
    5. Super 100 – from US$100,000 to US$75,000
    6. International Challenge – from US$25,000 to US$15,000
    7. International Series – from US$10,000 to US$5,000
    8. Future Series – Less than US$5,000

3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    for the near future this will kill a lot of the tournaments that do not receive financial aid from bwf for covid protocols. they will have to raise the same amount of sponsorship in these current less favorable times, and the reduction in prize money payout will likely not make up the difference for the cost of covid protocols.

what's the most expensive item? in my geographic area it's the testing... around $100/test for on-site services at a private event.
    (($100 * athletes/tech officials/tournament personnel) * 3 tests)

day 1 of a 4 court tournament with full draws = 256 athletes + 16 umps + 50 line judges/misc personnel... 322 people... $32,200
    lets say test #2 & #3 add up to 50% of day 1 because of less athletes/umps/other personnel are still around... $16,100
    $48,300.

now add in ppe supplies.
    single occupancy hotel rooms for umps.
    single occupancy forms of transportation for umps.
    single team occupancy transportation.

i'll stop there.
    what category 3 tournament can afford that? it's still a big expense for a wt 100 & 300 tourney.

i'm curious how suddenly bwf has extra money lying around to support the more important tournaments with covid aid. is it from staff cuts and salary reductions from bwf personnel? must be from all the cancelled category 2 tournaments they didn't have to spend any money on.

Bardie likes this.
  4. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

Not sure where to post this (is there a World Tours Finals 2020 thread?)

Liking the post draw commentary by Gill and Morton. Kind of weird to see them without masks but they need to convey their thoughts clearly and I guess they are already in their own bubble presumably tested negative.

Also, every match to be broadcast live on all networks, is that a guarantee? No geo blocking on Youtube?

EDIT: Just saw the WTF thread created, so posted my thoughts above there.

#444 magnumcyclonex, Jan 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
  5. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Every match will be broadcasted but YouTube live will still be geo blocked in some regions

6. Bardie

Bardie Regular Member

I agree nearly 100%. Even if only two tests are made at some tournaments (before the tournament and in the middle of the tournament) the costs are higher than the savings in prize money. The German Open and Swiss Open in March 2021 originally had prize money of 200,000 USD and has dropped to 140,000 USD.
    However, the BWF has allowed the organizers of BWF tournaments 300 to play the tournaments 2021 without qualification . Of course, this also saves money. So no qualification will be played in 2021 (= fewer players) and only three courts will be played instead of four or five (= fewer referees and linejudges). From a sporting point of view, this will be irrelevant for 2021 because the Olympic qualification means the best players will come regardless of the prize money. In the following years, the savings will be felt in the quality of the tournament. Smaller tournaments have already dropped from 25,000 USD to 10,000 USD. These will only be of interest to local players and some smaller tournaments will actually disappear from the tournament schedule.

7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Can people watch advertise on youtube to give money to the host instead of not buying ticket ?

8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    256 athletes is a full no qualifier draw: 32 ms, 32 ws, 64 md, 64 wd, 64 xd. sure, there are a few playing 2 events but that # is insignificant to the overall extra expense. all coaches & entourage need testing, too. let's not forget there will be $0.00 in ticket sales allowed for most of 2021. all of the non-gov't subsidized tournaments, which is most of them, will obviously be hit the hardest.

1 less court means it takes more time to play. venues charge by the day (8 hours) + overtime hours if you exceed 8 hours.
    of course, but, up to now there's no evidence it would generate any meaningful amount of $. anytime someone brings up your idea i ask them 'how much are you willing to pay?'... i never get an answer.

so, @terrynguyen121988, how much would you pay?

9. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Don't know but I can watch many online advertises.

I can afford 10 dollars, and I have a small group (~10 000 members), I can remind them to watch ad for help.

10. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

USD50 for a year subscription to 'live' BWF matches :p.
    I'd save the $ from subscribing to WoW or FFXIV :D.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

1000 views of a video usually generate less than 1$ iirc, so 10000ppl would probably generate about 5-10$
    What BWF generates with the videos on YT alone probably barely pays the guy who creates the match highlights

Woesi and samkool like this.
  12. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

I wonder if it would be possible for the BWF to use advertisement/product placements like many content creators do nowadays.
    They cut place these ads before the begin and after the end of the match and possibly during the intervals or player warmups.

But since the YT channels targets a diverse and global audiance it might be hard to find sponsors willing to pay for (except Raid: Shadow Legends^^).

Any thoughts on the possibilities of this happening?

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Obviously they can, the advertiser won't be averse to a global audience just because they're fairly local - same with the regular sponsors, those are fairly Asian-centric (can't remember a tour sponsor that was big in Europe or America, for example)

14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    when it comes to running a tournament it's the tournament host/organizer who needs the $, not bwf.

bwf charges the host/organizer a sanction fee to put on a tournament. bwf uses that $ to help pay for bwf's expenses, which isn't much. think about that for a moment... the host organizer pays bwf $20,000 - $75,000 for the privilege to provide a tournament, then bwf uses that $ towards paying for bwf's items: the referees (not umpires), hawkeye, some of the video production and some other cosmetics. so in the end who is really paying?

the sponsors & host organizer end up paying for 90% of the total cost: prize money, venue, umpire lodging expenses + per diem, athlete & umpire transportation (between airport/hotel/venue), staff/line judges/other personnel.

the best way to help our sport is to buy tickets to a tournament (when spectators are allowed again) or send $ directly to the host organizer.

15. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

The umpire for Lee Cheuk Yiu's match is Fabio Betto

#JusticeForLeeCheukYiu

16. lurker

lurker Regular Member

umpire's decision is final. that's the rule
    LCY himself agreed to that in 'TBH live talk with LCY'

what we hope that BWF can review the rules in the future to prevent such occurrences.

Woesi likes this.
  17. justiceforlcy

justiceforlcy Regular Member

Can I get the link for that?

18. lurker

lurker Regular Member

in Malaysian Mandarin + Cantonese

Woesi and justiceforlcy like this.
  19. sen

sen Regular Member

I would subscribe just to support the sport and the player

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

So what if he was? What's your point? He made a mistake, move on, don't hound him. I'd be incredibly surprised if it was out of bias, and it was a judgement call in a very quick scenario. It does look unfortunate in slow motion, and he'd probably make the correct call 9/10 times, but there's no reason to persecute him.

Also, what the heck do you mean 'Justice for LCY', there was a wrong call against him, whilst unfortunate there's not been any discernible discrimination or bias against him. He even got the very same kind of erroneous call in his favor in the past. Maybe there are other issues in your life you could address instead of doing stuff like this...

#460 j4ckie, Jan 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    skhai91, Woesi and Bardie like this.