Strings nipping when stringing

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by ocm001, Feb 15, 2021.

1. ocm001

ocm001 New Member

Hi All,

I have just started stringing my own rackets with a Pros Pro Shuttle Express and notice the strings a getting littles cuts\nipping causing the string to break after a couple of games. I have had a couple of string break during the stringing process causing me to open a new pack of string to replace the broken one.

Does anyone know how i can fix this issue? Is the gripper gripping to tight causing the cuts in the string when pulling?

Please help, i feel like i'm wasting my strings.

I have attached some image of what i mean.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

It's either the gripper or the clamps. Check both for for any sharp edges or burrs. Or the string gets caught and damaged on any other object on the floor around the machine. Also make sure that you are not stepping on it accidentally.

If it's the gripper, then you can use the cardboard inlays of a single string set as protection.

#2 s_mair, Feb 15, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2021
    speCulatius likes this.
  3. ocm001

ocm001 New Member

Thanks, I have some flat rubber piece that i might use in the gripper for testing to see if i get any of the cuts

4. Kaelhdris

Kaelhdris Regular Member

Looks like the string stripping in your clamps, make sure they are properly tightened.

5. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

It's the gripper. I'm 99% sure of that, maybe more.

Use the cardboard solution, fold it up with the folded edge at the bottom and cut off the excess. That way you also prevent the string from getting too deep into the gripper, which can happen with that machine, too... You should change the cardboard after a few string jobs, but that's not a big deal (it gets slippery after a while).

Make sure to also check the calibration, that can be far off as well.

6. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

That looks to me like the diamond coating in the clamps got some crystals sticking out on the edges of the teeth and cutting the string when clamping. It often happens on cheaper clamps.

The reason I don't think it is the gripper as you can see that the damage is happening very close to the frame, exactly were you would clamp the string, the gripper would be much further away from the edge.

What you need to do is figure which clamps in what exact spot do it by inspecting the string and the clamp every time after clamping to pinpoint the spots where it happening. Than you need to take apart the clamp. Make sure NOT to loose the springs and also note how everything is attached. In order to take it apart safely, tighten the jaws of the clamp with your hand when loosening the adjustment screw so that the springs will not jump off when the screw is not holding the jaws together any more. There are at least two springs inside every clamp, some times three. DO NOT LOOSE THEM.

Take a small needle file, or whatever tool you can find and start checking all the teeth around the inside edges for rough spots then cut them away with the file - especially where it corresponds with the damage in the string.

When done, assemble the clamp back same way you took it apart, you will have to tighten the jaws quite a bit to compress the springs before the screw start catching the threads. Good luck!

Donny Ajie Ramadhan likes this.
  7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    when you release the clamp, do you release the clamp first, let it drop, and then release the base? or the reverse?

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Oh wait. Shuttle Express. flying clamps. Which flying clamps are you using? Can you post a pic?

stradrider likes this.
  9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    do you use pliers or other any tools? some can have serrated edges which need extra care.

10. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Ah, right... It's the flying clamps on this machine? Wow, forgot they even existed :rolleyes:. But still probably the culprit...

11. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

Most certainly not. The distance to the gripper is much shorter than on other machines (you can go all the way to the frame if you want to), that's why the spot is not unlikely. I had damage on the strings that looked exactly like that when using a friend's shuttle express. I cannot see flying clamps slipping that much without ever noticing.

12. ocm001

ocm001 New Member

I'm using the [​IMG]

I have put a piece of thin card board in and tested, it works great no more issue with strings.

Thank to all for your suggestions.

Attached Files:

13. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Glad it helped for now.

Can you post a picture where we can see the inside of the flying clamps? Perhaps it's fixable, perhaps it's time for some new clamps

14. ocm001

ocm001 New Member

Will post tomorrow

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

15. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

just to get that straight - did you use the carboard in the gripper or the flying clamps?

16. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

I had the same pb with this exact same flying clamp, and after I had taken care of the obvious rough edges on some teeth, I also had issues of spring strongness, seeing movement and slipping clamp during the string process... After that I stopped using this clamp and bought a YONEX flying clamp (I already use a copy of yonex and never had pb with it).

#16 flyingcords, Feb 20, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2021