Does your stringer suck? Identifying a bad string job [Video]

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by s_mair, Jan 18, 2021.

1. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

How can you say that!!!! :mad:

Only 5 knots, by attaching the new string in the middle ... With a knot in the sweet spot for quality :confused:...

:D:D:D

2. michael5098

michael5098 Regular Member

14:09 glad someone called this guy out.

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Doc Fauci always knows what’s going on.

speCulatius likes this.
  4. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Great video. One objection in terms of the over-/underpulling: Not only the same string and tensions of clubmates is important also the head size and pattern. Comparing a fresh Yonex Z series racket or 96 holes FZ will sound different enough up to 100Hz (roughly 3lbs or 1.5kg difference) compared to some of this oversized heads like Astec Tornado or Oliver/Carlton/Dunlop even done by the same reliable and damn consistent stringer at the same time. IMO this should be added in the video.

Otherwise people will blame stringers on a inaccurate rule of thumb issues. I made this experience a few years back that somebody handed me a cheap Oliver (backup racket) and a ZFII (main racket) to restring and asked me why I strung them different based on ping and feel. Just an obversation. I understand that this is too much background info for somebody who is not in this equipment thing, but if your targetgroup is in stringing interested players it's definitely an issue which should be named. Not only players should be protect from butchers, also stringers shouldn't get unjustified blame.

5. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

There's a lot more that goes into it, I have a feeling that there's be another video just on that... but @s_mair how does that salt feel in this fresh cut? ;)

6. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Completely correct. That was the point where I decided to draw the line. The tenison topic clearly is the most difficult one to cover since there are so many parameters and details to consider. Initially, I wanted to show the actual ping frequency measurement with CarlTune or something similar but again, that would be far too deep into the topic for the targeted audience imo. I have that one on the list for a possible follow-up.

thyrif, ucantseeme and speCulatius like this.
  7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I totally agree that it goes to deep into every detail of "advanced stringing science" and can totally understand that you must draw somewhere a line. Just my shared experience from an issue, where a client asked me.

I don't like stringster that much but it is the only reference which count the frame in and is the easiest fair comparison without any knowlegde for clients. Just some feedback, no hate.:)

8. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I totally get it and I appreciate the feedback. Actually, it was quite a challenge to keep the level of detail away from drifting deeply into the "stringing nerd" territory. I think it's important to generate some awareness amongst the "normal players" for their strings and the importance of a good string job. I'm always very happy when a client approaches me with some specific questions that show, that he/she has spend some thought on their strings. If you have a client that shows interest, it's also easy to explain things like "why does a ZF2 ping higher than an Oliver WaterHead 9900?". Which would be an awesome name for an oversized frame series by the way.

Dekkert, ucantseeme and thyrif like this.
  9. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Like always great videos! Loved it!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

10. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I found a great video!!! Of What not to do!!

11. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

This one is even better!!! Start from side, pull 2 mains on a crank machine while talking on the phone and leaving tension on a crank machine. The best one Yet!!

Dekkert likes this.
  12. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

People in India are so ingenious Stringing your racket on plywood using wood screws and tensioning with a pair of pliers and your hands.

flyingcords, mokomima, s_mair and 2 others like this.
  13. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

Wow! You've found a real gem of how NOT to string your racket.
    - Damaging the frame with the screws. Luckily no high tension is used.
    - Damaging the string with the screws and the twisting with the plier. Surprised me it didn't snap right then.
    - There is no real tension, as he is not clamping the pulled string. Not even by jamming in an awl.
    - Looks like he's skipping a hole at 10 and 2 o'clock.
    - Crossing the strings on the outside.
    - No consistency, as every string is pulled differently.

You can't top this one. This is the worst stingjob I've ever seen.

kakinami likes this.
  14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Three very disturbing finds, thanks a lot for risking your life and sanity during your dangerous research.

Actually, I’m torn apart which one of those is the worst. The one with the plywood at least gets a big DIY-zero-cost-ghetto-style bonus in my book. I mean... there won’t be any tension in that job in the end, but at least he was the one causing the least damage to the frame.

And again I’m asking the same thing: What’s the deal with going side-to-side? I just don’t get it.

kakinami likes this.
  15. mokomima

mokomima Regular Member

This is the future of professional stringing service. I already see the stringing services on big tournaments using this method. Who needs high-end Yonex or Babolat machines etc. Every stringer just has his/her own piece of wood, a screwdriver, some screws and a piece of cloth. And for prestretch they just ask the one with the biggest muscles for pulling. The top players will "love" it...:D:D:D

kakinami likes this.
  16. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

@kakinami where do you find these beautiful specimens of human excellence?

Also, seems like that second guy got ashamed and pulled it down. Was that your doing?
    I noticed that the first guy had #professionalbadmintonstringing in his description, so couldn't resist to comment either..
    I can't decide whether the third guy is a genius or a moron. Perhaps a bit of both.

s_mair and kakinami like this.
  17. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

Just searched "badminton stringing" on Youtube and found them. dunno if using my VPN got me a bunch of stringers in India or how I saw so many videos from India, there was also a stringing contest from Li Ning India

18. Dekkert

Dekkert Regular Member

I bet the last guy got second place, only because he couldn't get it up to requested tension.

19. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

I think my comment got removed from his video.. :(

20. flyingcords

flyingcords Regular Member

It's a pity he doesn't have flying clamps to help keeping the tension during his process. And he could have done a hole in the center of the piece of wood to have more space to clamp and wave the crosses ;)
    About tension accuracy, a cylindric tension calibrator coupled with a strong clamp could help too, when pulling the string.