Li-Ning 5 snapped after 2 minutes of restringing

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by hosmail, Apr 1, 2021.

1. hosmail

hosmail New Member

Racket - Li-Ning AirForce G2 78
    Strings - #5

Snapped withing 2 minutes of playing (first rally of the match).
    Anyone got any plausible explanation for this.

Also wanna know durable strings w decent power like Nanogy 95.
    Feels like I'm done w Li-Ning strings.

2. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    Where did the string snapped? Like did it snap on the far side of the racket, top of the racket or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yenyesoh likes this.
  3. hosmail

hosmail New Member

Seems like from the far side of the racket.
    Left hand side

4. badmintonpog1

Wannabe
    Just know this, its most likely not the strings problem. Its where you hit it. Far sides of the horizontal strings are the critical point where your strings can break. Same with vertical strings top and bottom of the strings are vulnerable too.

puttguy, yenyesoh and decoy like this.
  5. hosmail

hosmail New Member

Hmm sounds fair.
    What would you suggest then?
    Getting thicker strings? Like Bg 65 or lining 7?

6. badmintonpog1

Wannabe
    I want to use Li-Ning strings as I haven’t tried yet. I use BG 65 Titanium or BG 68 Titanium so far as they are hard feeling strings and high durability. Li-Ning 7 is the most "durable" seen from their advertising so get that if you believe it.

7. hosmail

hosmail New Member

Alright bro thanks a ton for taking your time on answering this.
    Much appreciated
    Regards,
    Hosmail

badmintonpog1 likes this.
  8. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

2hrs is an incredibly short time to break a string, this would usually suggest a faulty string, stringjob or grommet, or you had just very bad luck with a misshit.

The string usually lasts me one to two month with ~10hrs (2 rackets) a week at ~29-30 lbs/13-13,5 kg until I have to cut it (not broken though)

I would suggest you to try the string again, unless every third hit you do is a misshit (and maybe ask the stringer to use a different reel of strings if possible and to check the grommets)

9. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Bad grommet, bad string job, & bad hitting are the common cause of string snap in very short time.
    I remember that i snap a fresh string when im doing warm up (yeah just warm up & not even a games) with friend. He feed me a smash shot & i miss hit when im strike it full power.
    Nowdays when i had very less miss hit, my string last me 2-3 month. Btw i never snap Lining#1 string which is thin string & for LN#1, i always cut it myself.

10. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

If a freshly strung racquet snaps its strings withing minutes of playing it's usually a miss-hit (especially if the tension is high).It's happened to me before I string to 30lbs and use pretty thin strings.
    If it's a common occurance for you, then maybe think about moving to a thicker string, or work on your technique to reduce your miss timed shots.
    If the racquet is well used inspect the grommets as once they're worn the string will make contact with the frame instead and cut easily. Have your stringer change out the grommets. I change mine every 4 string jobs to ensure the longevity of the racquet and strings.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

11. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    It's funny you should mention this. Did you happen to get your strings from mybadmintonstore, or I'm guessing your stringer has an old batch? I've been using number 5s for the past few years. Never an issue, and they're durable, decently powerful and can absorb smashes!

Just this April/May, all my number 5 strings mysteriously snapped in my bag. One by one. At first I was thinking stringer error (me), but I've been stringing for 20 years and nothing has changed. Sure our machine was having a little problems powering on, but the variation still shouldn't cause all 6 of my rackets freshly strung up to break consecutively. I didn't even use some of them! My conclusion is that perhaps once number 5s are of a certain age, the plastic elasticity just hardens and craps out. Same thing happened to my brothers number 5. It's never happened like this before.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    with the pandemic, there must be a lot of strings in storage due to lack of turnover. Possibly strings have become more brittle with lower turnover and longer storage.

Optiblue likes this.
  13. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

That sounds super weird. Where did you store the string reels? Any chance they might have been exposed to sunlight?

I also have two reels of LN5 stored in the (dark) cupboard. Will definitely pay attention to this once the first rackets will go out to clients with them. LN5 normally is a super robust string.

14. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    It was the last pack of white that they found in their storage. In fact, they refused to reorder more white until they sold out all their yellows, and that yellow inventory is at least 2 years old.

15. Optiblue

Optiblue Regular Member

I just show up
    No chance they had sunlight. Store them by my stringing machine which is in the garage. Not too humid, not too dry. Yes, I've never had a single problem with no 5 until this one reel which was recently ordered.

As I mentioned, I ordered a white reel from them last year around this time and they said it was their last white. I messaged them recently to check for white inventory and they dug deeper into their warehouse and found this truely last one. It's possible this one is super old, but it definitley seemed to expire all at the same time. I've never had this many strings break in my bag all within a month in my more than 20+ years playing! Tensions between my brother's and mine varied around 28, 30, 32, 34 all settled. It's the strangest thing I've ever encountered.

Cheung and s_mair like this.
  16. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

My local stringer doesn't use reels anymore as he states the strings go off & snap more easily due to:
    1) store being air conditioned when it's open.
    2) being super humid when the store is closed.
    3) Extreme temperature changes which would happen because of the above.

I'm guessing it will be the same for all strings although I'm not using Li Ning no.5 strings now.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk