How do you cope with the confinement situation?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by LenaicM, Apr 13, 2020.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yeah. I was very careful to put some gradual gym work in for myself and my kid before increasing sessions on court. We had done some outside training but not very serious. My training plan was to maintain muscle strength for joint protection and therefore be ready for when courts reopen.

My kid could get back into more intense badminton faster - it took her two weeks for which she coped quite well and then I gradually increased the sessions. Also told the coaches to be careful initially. I needed an extra three weeks to start to feel confident about increasing work rate. Unfortunately, we cant beat age. It takes me longer to build up and injuries take longer to recover from.

s_mair likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wow. Sounds like long Covid hasn’t affected you. Great!

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Been lucky I guess. Case was very mild. Perhaps due to low initial viral dose or mild variant. Now just the occasional irritable airways with needing to clear the throat of mucus. And my sense of smell is altered somewhat. What should smell fragrant like flowers smell like artificial perfume to me. And what should be stinky like rotten food I can't smell at all!

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

Cheung likes this.
  4. LenaicM

LenaicM Regular Member

In France, badminton is allowed starting from today. The last time we were allowed to play was mid-October 2020. That's 7 months ago. And before that we had few weeks of play in June 2020 and 1 month from September to mid-October.

Given the first restrictions started in march 2020, that's 2 months of play in more than 15 months.

Needless to say badminton is a little further from my mind than it used to be. I only restarted training with some badminton oriented exercices 10 days ago. I am hyped but the perceptive of a potential new confinement in September or October is not having me commit at 100% + the fact clubs will close in 3 weeks again (summer holidays...). Hard to stay motivated within this context.

Cheung likes this.
  5. khoai

khoai Regular Member

If you wanna hear a story from Texas, our badminton center was open back in May... 2020 (yes, you read that right, May last year). Closed for about a month and a half. At the beginning, only up to 6 were allowed on each court and 2 hours a day so contact tracing could be done. Good thing was, courts were empty most of the time. Bad thing was I played too much and got all kind of injuries: thump, tennis elbow, knees and back. Got several positive cases but none was serious. You can tell it's not gonna affect young or healthy people. We even had a couple of mini tournaments. Now it's 100% opened and super crowded. More rest time for me, I guess.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Good friend of mine who lives Austin basically says down in Texas, in ppl's mind COVID doesn't exist. no one wear masks and it is life as normal.

While here, ppl take it really seriously. Even out in the bike trails, most ppl still wear mask while having a walk outdoor, despite the warning level is one of very low level and mask no longer required.

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    As for badminton, it is back to opening over here since a few months ago. However, gym owner has instead of doing open-gym, moved to reservation based. It limits the interaction between strangers, and I think they also make more money that way. I kinda like that system, as we get to play a lot more without having to line up. However, it does cost a lot more than before.

8. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Austin is the bluest city in Texas, like little Cali. No way people there do not take covid seriously. I guess people make judgements based on their own-verse around themselves. Our city is similar. We were really scared at first but then after a few months with enough statistics, we figured the risks for us were really small as long as we didn't spread it to other people. One of my kids went back to school and we could see the joy in his eyes everyday after school.

Our badminton center allows up to 2 hours everyday for free court reservation so we just went almost everyday. I feel pretty lucky we live in Texas listening to what you guys are going through.

kwun likes this.