I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I think he meant the video generally.

You would have to point a gun to his head(or at least ask him!) for him to attach a pic ;-)

2. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Update:

Been dieting like I had mentioned in a fat loss thread and got down to 79.2 kg or so. Turns out we had an impromptu mixed doubles tournament at our school, and it was good I had been training the whole time, but my partner.. not so much. I did my best to try to bring her up to speed, really trying to focus on her just doing good serves and covering net.

We won the tournament, but the finals were close. 24-22, 21-14, and 21-12 (we won 1st and 3rd set).

Below is the video of all the footage, and my notes:

- Moving better! Leg strength lets me lunge, move more explosively, am split stepping more.
    - Down side - my contact point has regressed a lot under pressure! I don't like that because I know in training my smashes are a lot harder than this footage shows. I basically finessed it through brute strength (those overhead medicine ball slams helped lol). Compared to a few months back, it is still higher so there's that.
    - Other issues like rotation, partner not covering net, etc. are all things I'm not worried about as again, it was impromptu and those things were largely out of my control.
    - I varied where I stood for service A LOT. Reasoning is to carry partner and try to recover shots they kill when she serves too high sometimes. Other times when I'm serving, I stood ON the line simply because I knew I was more physically fit than my opponent, and so I wanted to make flick more threatening - his lifts were short as well so Getting them from all the way in the front wasn't a problem

Do let me know what you guys think - even if it's the same things as repetition is key for this dense head of mine :p

3. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Update:

Still dieting, and doing a PPL program with plyometrics pretty much every day at this point. Am also doing kneesovertoesguys zero program which has given me a lot of peace of mind for my knees/ankles.

My current weighing is 78.31, and have a month from today for when I'm supposed to leave for Thailand to train for 3 months. I hope to be 160/72.5 KG which is a tall order but it's always good to set ambitious goals.

Training update:

Due to lack of players as this semester is coming to a close, been playing/training a lot of more single focused wise. Have had a lot of helpful people on Reddit improve my swing and footstep, and I think I'm fully pronating and more consistently split stepping at this point.

The most important thing for the next month is really to just lose weight - as I head back home it'll be hard to find court time with competent players (or any at all tbh) so I'll have to manage the best I can.

Here's some singles footage to just see how I've improved:

4. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Last Training Update Before Thailand
    Wow, so much has happened in last few weeks. I graduated college, am relocating to Thailand first then Korea, etc. I'm giddy.

So I had been at home for the last month or so and my day basically consisted of:
    - Gym (4 sets of 12 rep squats + accessories)
    - Training (3 hours a day, mostly playing 2 v1 or mixed doubles, with 30 minutes a day of dedicated half court training)

Since then, for better or for no reason, I have upgraded my racket kit:
    - For doubles, I have bought 2x Astrox 88 pro's (4u). Have tried the new exbolt 63 string and when I played it at 28, it was a dream. The racket is even faster than the OG, and suits my preferred playstyle in MD. I had sold one of the 88's I did have to a friend which helped finance the upgrade. The other one, I exchanged with another member on here for an AX99.
    - The AX99 4U will be singles. I played with it yesterday with 66F at 28 and it felt, good. Don't think 66F is the way to go here, and will first try out my default BG80 and experiment from there. I'm thinking I'll like aerosonic or aerobite or ABB. The racket def generates power, isn't sluggish by any means (but probs too slow for me for mens doubles) and will be what I use in MS or XD. I can see why people say this is a physically demanding racket - it's def got a smaller sweet spot than I'm used to, and it def takes more effort to feel some shaft bend but def felt shots were steeper and more threatening than compared to my 88s pro.

Some recent singles footage - I def am split stepping more consistently, taking wider steps, and remembering to pronate and have good contact point! All basics I know but it def are fundamental and I see leaps of improvements because of it.

Singles 5-17-21 - YouTube

What's next?

As I type this, got about 1.5 hours before I got to head to the airport and start a grueling 30 hour trek to Thailand. After that, it's quarantine for 14 days, regardless of the fact I'm fully vaccinated. Oh well. After that, training should start. Will share more details as I'm not sure what the specifics of those are yet.

5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Thailand Update: Training At BTY
    As I type this, I have completed Day 3 of training at BTY.

It's been a lot of fun, and the days are getting easier as the body acclimates - my hip flexor was killing me day 1 and two simply because quarantine isn't really conducive to staying active... but the touch is coming back and the necessary strength in the right muscles (legs, abs, forearm, etc.) is coming back as well.

The coach has been super energetic and supportive, despite a language barrier. The kids are also in high school or middle school, but have been playing for like 10+ years so basically their whole life. They're crazy good, and I haven't even played with any of them - just have been doing single shuttle and multi feeding training sessions with the coach, and doing handicapped (in my favor) games with the coach and my gf, who is training alongside me.

I have been recording a lot lately, and I'll try to link some stuff below. The numbered list is just a description of them so you can click on whatever's most interesting for you.

1. FUll recording of a lesson (well most of it, gopro overheats and stops because we practice in a 31.5 C warehouse on most days that isn't AC'd lol. Will have to buy a second one)
    2. A vlog style video, with some training footage in it. I youtube some, and yeah.
    3. My Instagram, where I am making daily posts about my training and some thoughts about it. The link below is the latest one.

Nigel/미소 Dollentas (@nigeldollentas) • Instagram photos and videos

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I like the way he pushed you to skip rather than just walk. That’s exactly the sort of thing that will get you respected as a serious player rather than a social player.

Tiring stuff though after just coming out of quarantine.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Those squeaky shoes!
    Orthotics?

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

How did they last 14 days without fork knives spoons chopsticks LMAO

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol... I think they had food delivered then due to quarantine. So likely had disposable utensils.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk

10. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah, superfeet insoles. Not sure why these make so much noise tho, think I didn’t cut them properly lol.

11. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    this is correct answer. Wel actually our room came with stuff and we had a sink so we just washed dishes.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Why were you eating with your hands?

how are both of you feeling after the first day training ? The training looked like hard work. I thought you both did pretty well to last so long.

13. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    They didn't include cutlery in the bag lol.

The training is hard, and that was apparently an easy day. I'll try to link some more footage, but you can also look for yourselves on the same links provided above.

14. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Training Update 6/21/21
    Finished first week or so here, today's rest day but is technically Day 10.

The first few days were particularly brutal but body is quickly adapting (like to think that's part youth, part muscle memory, and part massage gun/normatech legs and supplements lol).

We basically spend a lot of our time doing clears and footworks. Our hardest days are usually are most boring days, and we'll also do a lot of shadowing footwork or modified 2v1 singles stuff.

When I watch my games, even though I'm still getting rekt, I notice I'm a lot faster, endurance is better, shot quality is better/more correct, etc. Crazy how fast I feel I'm growing but yet feel still so frustrated losing at the same time lol.

Getting a lot of things finally fixed like my grip, contact point, etc. Wondering what I'll look like in a few months time!

Physical is a fairly even split, with abs hit 2x a week on easier days.

We have a really hard day a week where we do 6 2x laps that are 10 courts wide, then 6 x1 laps the same width. Brutal.

The shoulder is showing some mild overuse symptoms but am taking care of it and keeping an eye on it. Not too worried as I'm being mindful, have good diet, and we do lots of stretching and strengthening. Other areas I'm watching are the ankles and knees but proper footwork and losing weight due to rigor should ease those worries as well.

Here's a "day of my life" type vlog for those interested:
    What's My Day Like At A Top International Badminton School? - YouTube

If you just want to watch some footage of me this is a video of matches ONLY (it's not the most recent, couple days old)

But I try to upload my full physical + on court session everyday to my YouTube just for personal reference and archives.

Other updates:
    Stayed same weight at 80.7 KG while starting creatine again meaning I'm losing fat at roughly the same rate I'm bloating which is crazy.
    Bought another AX99, and have lowered tension to 25 pounds. I think I'm happy with it, may try 24 depending on how I feel after this week. Usually would play at 28.
    Still sticking with new favorite string, exbolt 63.

Bangkok doesn't reopen until 6/30 meaning I have to stay on campus and only train (can't leave premises) until after that. Am in desperate need of a sports massage....

Cheung likes this.
  15. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

Watched your singles and I think, that your footwork is already pretty good. Speed, explosive start, anticipation will come with more training, but all training does not work , if you have the wrong technique, so great job so far.

The most important stuff in badminton is the most boring, as you already said, footwork. All this shadow runs etc. will improve your overall game tremendously over time. Althought you play a lot of standard shots, which is really good. When you get the basic game down, your game pefrormance will take a great leap forward. There's really no reason to jump smash, reverse cut, tumble every shuttle until you are very confident with your basic game (thought you can already start practising this). Until pretty high level, most games are won by the one who make less errors, not the one who do some crazy shot combos. Once you are able to play a standard neutral game (almost no errors, need some good endurance thought), you will get already pretty far.

Khamenman and precrime3 like this.
  16. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A

G thanks! Yeah I was quite pleased with my improvement after just one week.

And I totally agree, even just polished fundamentals will get me to high B or low A level I’d reckon.

and I know there’s no improvement without pain

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You are looking a lot thinner. BTW, coconut water is a mild laxative… go easy on it :D

#237 Cheung, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
  18. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    BRO WHAT?!

Me and my gf be splitting 1L a day everyday.. love that stuff. Literally just bought 24 L off of Thailand Amazon.

And ty haha, must be the laxatives lol

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

500ml each ‘should’ be ok, but everyone is different! I love the stuff as well and it keeps me clean.

20. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Lol that's good to hear. Love that stuff, especially this high quality cheap stuff.

So I feel like I'm getting progress in most things - except in my smash power.

I mean they do feel stronger, but i really think that's just cause I'm getting more used to to the pronation movement and physical training is getting me muscle but as far as incorporating hip rotation or putting my legs into the equation, feel no progress on that front. What should I be be keeping in mind?

Footage from matches today: (8) Matches only 6-23-21 - YouTube