XXXII Tokyo OG 2020 : DAY-10 (2nd August 2021) WD, MS Bronze & Gold Medal Match

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Aug 1, 2021.

1. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Venue : Musashino Forest Sports Plaza

Schedule & Result : https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/badminton/olympic-schedule-and-results.htm

LIVE SCORE : https://match-centre.bwfbadminton.com/4027

List of LIVE TV Broadcasting : https://gtimg.tokyo2020.org/image/upload/production/z2ndaf9j5quvrpbp82dp.pdf

BWF Olympic Games link
    : https://olympics.bwfbadminton.com/results/4027/tokyo-2020-olympic-games-badminton/2021-07-24

Tokyo time : https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/japan/tokyo

DAY-10 ORDER OF PLAY : https://olympics.bwfbadminton.com/results/4027/tokyo-2020-olympic-games-badminton/2021-08-02
    upload_2021-8-1_15-6-48.png

BIG IN JAPAN FOR CHINA
    The unprecedented long hiatus from any international tournaments, China badminton squad denies the naysayers who doubt their capability to roar in Tokyo 2020. But they flex the muscles since the beginning of tournament untill the ultimate day where their players secure final spot in al five categories.
    On the contrary, heartache for host Japan to pocket one bronze medal only through Watanabe/Higashino despite Land of Rising Sun is touted as heavy favourite to scoop more than two gold medals prior to this Olympics. Japan squad downfall starting from Kento Momota shocking exit, fails to qualify into last sixteen round that more or less demoralising team spirit.

CHEN/JIA ON COURSE
    The talented China #1 combination have good prospect to complete their major event collection after grabbed 2017 Glasgow World Championships title, 2018 Asian Games gold medal and tomorrow they will battle out to reach paramount goal Olympic Champions. Fully confident Chen/Jia outclass regular rivals Kim/Kong in second meeting here after group stage encounter. The Chinese will take on hardworkers Polii/Rahayu who show strong fighting spirit to aim final berth including how they outlasted Korean duo Lee SH/Shin SC. A breakthrough for INA WD to earn medal for the first time in Olympic arena since inaugural edition Barcelona 1992. It'll be tough for the Indonesians to topple the on-fire world number 3 but never say never as this is Olympic Games, anything can happens. Two Korean pairs will contest for bronze medal, the same color that won five years ago in Rio, Jung KE/Shi SC beat Yu Yang/Tang Yuanting at that time.

TITANIC FINAL SHOWDOWN
    upload_2021-8-1_14-58-39.png
    Chen Long proves himself as one of best MS player that China ever produced alongside his predecessors Yang Yang and Super Dan, entering two consecutive Olympics final. Taking into full distance for the lanky Chinese to conquer Lee Zii Jia and Chou Tien Chen previously, the well-prepared and vast experienced Chen takes command to dictate his game plan that forcing Anthony Ginting to follow slow-pace tempo and can't develop quick attacking play. A very steady play, solid defense as usual plus accurate placement and sharp smashes troubling the Indonesians mostly to commint unnecessary elementary errors.

Expect the unexpected, the inspiring Kevin Cordon pushes Viktor Axelsen into the limit in opening game as the Dane can't read his unfamiliar opponent well while the nothing to lose Guatemalan player puts good fight to pressure Axelsen with his initiative and pro active quick shots. Former World Champion has comfortable way to close out the match, smashing all the way as 34 years old Cordon starting to produce numerous mistakes.

Save the best for last mantra, a blockbuster match looms when Chen Long meets the consistent Axelsen, two players from different generation, rematch of Rio OG 2016 semifinal round. Chen has big ambition to level Lin Dan record, back to back Olympic Champion plus continues CHN gold tradition in this category meanwhile Denmark will seek Atlanta 1996 glory through Axelsen this time.

TANTALIZING DUEL
    [​IMG]
    Major event title still elusive for Tai Tzu Ying as she's unsuccessful to meet the expectation, lost narrowly to Chen Yufei who staying focus, composed in tough situation. Chen superb retrieving skill, patience, and less errors really frustrates Tai who needs to create perfect shots to earn point. In deciding game, the Taiwanese ace actually had a chance to turn the tables, 3-10 down, she closing the gap but unfortunately the routine numerous unforced errors that hampering her effort to bounce back as Chen looks quite fatigue post interval break and practically only retrieves her opponent shots until the end of this tiring 82 minutes match, 21-18 / 19-21 / 21-18. A heartbreak for Tai TY fans as she's touted as heavy favourite to top Tokyo OG podium, hopefully she will continue her quest in Huelva end of this year.

Big ambition and strong confidence brings Sindhu nails bronze medal, to dominate entire match with her fierce attacking smash to down the error-proned He BJ who doesn’t exploits her quality shots at front area instead of dictated by Sindhu game plan. A tough reality for He for her extra effort to get out of the shadows from her younger teammate Chen Yufei, this time she fails to steal the limelight.

lodoss, ojayz, PoLLuX and 13 others like this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Brilliant and tidy write-up as always from @CLELY

Quentin11 likes this.
  3. CzechKronner

CzechKronner Regular Member

I think VA will take the Gold medal, but I am cheering for the old dragon instead. Hoping it'll be a great match!

4. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Kevin Cordon winning a bronze medal would do wonders for badminton in Guatemala and for badminton in Latin America. And I really liked how Kevin Cordon gave Viktor a good run for his money, especially in the first set. For the sake of badminton and the hope that badminton can become more popular in Latin America, I hope Kevin Cordon pulls off the win tomorrow.

PS. Guatemala has only ever won one medal for all sporting disciplines at the Olympics and that was in 2012 for the men's 20 KM walk: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guatemala_at_the_Olympics. If Kevin Cordon gets a bronze medal, it will be the 2nd medal Guatemala has ever won at the Olympics.

#4 galaxyduo, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
    dood1234, Justin L and Cheung like this.
  5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

That WS match was so tight
    I hope that TTY does not retire after this, especially because Paris is just 3 years away
    She already saw how she could have won the gold if she stayed a bit more solid and consistent with her 'basic shots' (and maybe improve her legs strength just a bit more)

6. mal1988

mal1988 Regular Member

I think for most players who are still around the mid-to-late 20's (plus a few early 30's) they'll still try their best to qualify for 2024 considering it's only 3 years away.

I think Tai Tzu Ying will continue on until 2024, but then again who knows - I thought Setiawan / Ahsan would have retired after 2016 but I was happily proven wrong. I do believe that they've played their last respective matches in the Bronze Medal match loss though.

I am going for Chen Long, and Jia Yifan / Chen Qing Chen in today's finals.

In the bronze medal matches, Ginting and Kim / Kong.

7. magnumcyclonex

magnumcyclonex Regular Member

Ginting played so explosively in his quarter finals and almost gifted away the win to Anders by making too many super smash errors. It would be redemption if he can get bronze. However, I REALLY liked Cordon's playstyle...absolutely stunned and destroyed Ng Ka Long, and played very well against Axelsen (despite losing). It would be massive for someone like him to attain a medal.

For MS, I'd be happy with an Axelsen win. He's been playing phenomenal and if he wins, there shouldn't be any asterisk * because Momota was going through his own issues. Question, where does Axelsen train? Does he still train with the Danish National Team, or is he completely independent with his VA Health line of stuff?

A CL win in MS would be a rock solid performance for the two Chens (Chen YF in WS, and CL in MS). However, if he gets two golds, I'll still hold Lin Dan in higher regard.

For WD, I'm hopeful for a China win. They have been pretty solid throughout the event.

It looks like once again, China is the most successful country, having medaled in all 5 categories (Silver or better). Really sucks and heart breaking for the Japanese team, with only one bronze to go home to. It was very likely a combination of nerves, pressure, over confidence, the pandemic, lack of home crowd supporters, and lack of tournament experience during the lockdown. Hopefully they can reevaluate and come out stronger.

8. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

1. VA has the better badminton right now and fitness and Chen Long has the better mental.

Which shall prevail? We'll see!

2. Kevin Cordòn vs ASG. If Ginting wants the Bronze he will get it. Unfortunately, Ginting is a bad match up for Kevin.

Kevin smash returns are easily 'follow through able'. Ginting will do just that and the match will be over in seconds.

3. Kim for Bronze because she is the cutest.

4. Final WD. I miss Fukushima. She is cute too.

9. dood1234

dood1234 Regular Member

I think Shin Seung Chan’s racket arm is injured since the semifinal. She rarely smash and played front position during her match against the CQC & JYF. Plus her defense was much weaker than usual.

Kim/Kong will probably win the Bronze medals.

#9 dood1234, Aug 1, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    live stream link, please..

11. dood1234

dood1234 Regular Member

Yup, she still got bandage in her racket arm under that Yonex sweat band. Most likely an injury in that right arm.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    How cruel. two pairs from same country playing for bronze.

hybisme likes this.
  13. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

On the good side, at least a medal for Korea

14. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    yea let's goo INA
    :D:D:D
    (fingers crossed...)

15. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Is this a badminton match or a shouting match?

16. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

the ZSW/HYQ vs Wang/Huang was even more cruel......for gold eh.....not to mention the result

17. dood1234

dood1234 Regular Member

China has a higher chance of gold but I will support INA pair.

ojayz likes this.
  18. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    since when Greysia Polii has such serve... hopefully it won't be the obstacle
    :rolleyes::rolleyes:
    haven't really follow them that much

19. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    yea let's go let's go let's go..... not bad for now

20. mal1988

mal1988 Regular Member

Since there's been no crowds at this Olympics, we tend to notice the shouts at the end of rallys more.