Review of the Yonex Astrox 77 - Too Good :)

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Nihal, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Hi all, Just got the Ax77 4u4 one month back and I'm absolutely enjoying the change in my game with more power and steeper drops and smashes.

I have the Yellow color 4u4 version strung with NBG 95 25 mains 27 crosses. With AC102EX black grip.

Testing it for the first time: It felt really weird cuz I've been using a really old and not-so-good racket (Voltric ld 100) and using an Astrox racket for the first time felt weird. Clears required more effort and the sound just fell different. However, I noticed more power immediately.

After 1 month of constant use for 2 hours a day: Love it, way way way better than my older racket. As I'm an intermediate singles player, this suited me the most. I never use it for doubles (As I don't want the racket to end up cracked ). Overall, worth the price, definitely feel the steeper smashes and bigger sweetspot.

My Thoughts: Go for it, if you want an upgrade from a racket you don't like.

For who is it: For more attacking kind of gamestyle or neutral in singles and suitable for all round in doubles.
    Just suitable for anyone.

After almost 1000 hours of use: The Astrox 77 feels nothing like what it felt when I 1st tried it. At first it felt hard to generate power and felt weird, but now it feels like a hot knife through butter, can easily cut through the air (4u version) and plenty of power available. All round racket and no specialty other than being conservative and good at anything, no weakness about the racket. It also helps you get out of trouble in deep positions in the court with ease as its not too head heavy or demanding to use.
    Just a suggestion, for those who think the nbg95 is a wet noodle and not plenty of power available, try the nbg99, more bite and more power in it, durability is noticeably less in the 99 compared to the 95 but still very good.

My ratings for the racket and final thoughts, is it the perfect choice for you.

-So the Ax77 was the 1st astrox racket released by Yonex. Even though its the first one, its really nice to use, no visible defects with the racket, plenty of power and plenty of speed and quick movements. Definitely meant for intermediate to advanced players IMO due to the medium flex shaft. The good thing about this racket is that you can get out of bad positions in the court with ease as its not a very demanding racket to play with neither is it oo head heavy.

My ratings
    -Speed: 9/10
    -Control: 9/10
    -Power: 8/10
    -Playability - 10/10
    -Stiffness - 7/10
    -Head heaviness - 7.5/10
    -User-friendliness - 10/10
    -Overall performance - 9.5/10

I really recommend this racket to a person who is looking for a racket with power but also with a pretty fast frame. If you are already using the current flagships of astrox like the 88dp or the 99p to the 100zz, this might not be a choice unless you like the feel of this but if you are transiting from a head light or lighter racket to a more head heavy one, this is your perfect choice.

Comment down below your thoughts, I will answer within few days.

#1 Nihal, Sep 20, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    badmintonpog1 likes this.
  2. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

Regarding strings, the most common recommendation seems to be BG80. Perhaps you could consider lowering the tension a bit - that would help with more power and duability. Otherwise BG65ti are quite difficult to destroy (had mine for 10+ years - with no tension left though).

Regarding the Astrox 77, I had one but it was simply to slow for me, due to the medium flex. I had to change to the 88s in order to get something a lot stiffer.
    I would recommend the 77 for players needing a powerboost, or perhaps singles - but for doubles or power-players it is simply too slow.

Nihal likes this.
  3. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Ok, I tried the 80p and 80 from my friends jetspeed s12, just did not like the high pitch noise :(
    I think nbg95 or nbg 99 should be my choice

4. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

also yes, I play lots of singles with lots of attacking

5. Mikkel Press-Stevn

I really like to play with Aerobite - but it is not know for its durability - hence the BG80 recommendation. But at the end of the day I would say it depends more on how well you hit the sweetspot or make clean hits. If you have a lot of clean hits you could up the tension and the string (fx. to Aerobite). But if that is an issue try lowering the tension (lets just admit - there is not price for having the highest tension on the court!) and using a more power focused string.

Nihal likes this.
  6. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Hi, thanks for the update man
    But I train 5 times a week or over 2 hours, so I think so its best not to go for aerobite, either nbg99/95, or bg 65/ti.
    I don't like bg80 cuz it has too much high pitch noise and just vibrates little but more compared to other strings

7. Mikkel Press-Stevn

At the
    at that amount of playing time - I agree Aerobite would not be a optimal pick. I think you would find the BG65Ti be a bit of a bland pick - but it is duable.

8. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

You are right but I find the nbg 95 to be the most durable out of the pick. 65ti has somewhat a feel I don't prefer, I prefer, nbg 95 or 99

9. badmintonpog1

badmintonpog1 Regular Member

Wannabe
    An unpopular string compared to BG80, BG66 Ultimax, and so on that you can try is the BG68 Titanium. On its package has good repulsion, decent durablity, and is soft feeling. I tried it on my Astrox 77 had it until I broke the string a year later.

Nihal likes this.
  10. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Hi, definitely not going for the bg66 or thinner strings. I tried 6bti but its just the 65ti with a little bit more repulsion and worse durability. I am planning to string my Ax77 next time with nbg99 and my voltric ld with bg 80
    Thanks for your help :)

11. badmintonpog1

Wannabe
    Definitely try Nanogy 99. Let us know how it feels. I have never strung it on my Astrox 77 but I got BG65 on it rn and I don't want to waste it. :( On the package fits what I currently want in a string.

Nihal likes this.
  12. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Will definitely let you know :)
    Yeah, I like the nbg95 but want more repulsion and control, so I think nbg 99 is the way to go in my Ax77
    I will also try bg80 (on my voltric) cuz every1 recommends it
    Btw what is your model and colour of Ax77 and when did you buy it?

13. badmintonpog1

Wannabe
    My model is the 2018 UK coded Blue version (thanks to @ckyew of his video of the cone code on the racket) of the Astrox 77. Weight is 3UG4 which I like :D. I bought it @ tennisnuts.com for $200 (could've gotten an 3UG5 SP coded one instead for $130~$150 :() around March 2020 with Nanogy 95 @ 29 lbs as an intermediate :eek:. Nanogy 95 felt nice with the racket. Durability string just like BG65 Ti.

Nihal likes this.
  14. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Oh Cool! I bought my Ax77 Yellow 4u4, 3 weeks back. I strung it with nbg95 cosmic gold 25 mains and 27 cross. Nbg95 is really durable IMO
    . Definitely gonna try nbg99 next time. Thanks for telling about your racket :)

15. badmintonpog1

Wannabe
    Yeah let us know your opinion with NBG99 when you try it! :)

Nihal likes this.
  16. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

hi guys, what is the overall weight of AX 77 4u? with strings and grip. Is it around 89 - 91 grams? I'd like to know the balance point as well. thanks.

17. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Did not measure it accurately but it is around 88 grams for the 4u version g4 grip which ac10ex supergrap and nbg95

18. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

It is more on the head heavy side, according to yonex, the balance point is "295mm +/- 3 (Head Heavy)"
    It does feel a bit sluggish and head heavy tho not much

19. badmintonpog1

Wannabe
    Would you classify the head-heaviness of it as slighty head heavy?

20. Nihal

Nihal Regular Member

Yes exactly, slightly head heavy not as head heavy as the 88's or zf2 and more head heavy than the Arcsaber 11