88s vs 88dpro

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by DF123666, Sep 15, 2021.

1. DF123666

DF123666 New Member

I play mainly doubles and am playing the old 88s with 25/27 BG65, which was the only string I had. I would go for the 66u with 24/26lbs. I'm happy the racket, however I feel like it's lacking a bit of power. It's partially due to the softness of the string and also me not having the pure power for big smashes. I'm considering getting the 88dpro, which is about 30-50€ pricier than the new 88s. I've read many reviews of the 88dpro and all of them are fairly positive.
    Opinions/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks a lot!

2. Hoang_Ks

Hoang_Ks New Member

Same as me, I used to play 88s 2018, but now I will stick with 88d pro. 88d Pro is a amazing racket, it give me very good feeling for all strokes, fast enough for defence and much power for smash if compare to OG 88s. So I think you should try 88d pro :)

Sent from my Redmi Note 9S using Tapatalk

3. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I own the 77,88s,88d (latter should be very similar to the current pro models).

I currently prefer the 77 for singles mainly, I can generate a lot more power with it (due to medium shaft) than the 88s (stiff) and much better than the 88d(very stiff). Best to try it out first, before buying 3 rackets of it.

4. Zalmon

Zalmon Regular Member

88d pro is a way to go. I upgraded my racket this year too from OG 88s to 88d pro since I feel it lacked a bit of power from the back. There is no regret in my decision. 88d is way more powerful . It is only a bit slower than the 88s , but it still is faster than any others. If the speed for 88s was 10, I would say 88D pro is 8.5-9 for speed.

5. DF123666

DF123666 New Member

Have you also tried the 88dpro? I'm choosing between it and 88s. I'd also like to try it out but I don't know anyone who owns the 88dpro.

6. DF123666

DF123666 New Member

Did you feel like the 88dpro was harder to handle than the 88s? How long did it take for you to get used to the racket? Is the head significantly heavier than the 88s? For me it didn't take too long to handle the 88s, although the first two times playing with it I felt a bit uncomfortable. I'm glad that I kept trying and it got better and better.

7. Ballschubser

Ballschubser Regular Member

I only have the original 88d, but as far as I know, the pro is more or less the same. The new naming convention of yonex seems to be
    pro = best material, best technique, manufactored in japan (most expensive)
    tour = same(?) material, same(?) technique, but not manufactored in japan (mid range price)
    game = lower quality material, less technique, not manufactored in japan (low price range)

The original 88s/88d are manufactored both in japan, so I believe, that the specs are similar, but I'm not sure about it. The yonex racket matrix although displays the 88s/88s pro/88s tour and accordingly the 88d/88d pro/88d tour in a shared spot.

8. Hoang_Ks

Hoang_Ks New Member

88 s/d pro are much difference with OG, but I can say that Yonex bring this Astrox 88 closer to everyone, not hard to play as OG. You will not have to spend too much time to familar with it :)

9. DF123666

DF123666 New Member

Wait the pros are easier to handle than the originals? Have you played all of them?

10. Budi

Budi Regular Member

many comment say 88 pro less stiff by just abit. So it mean it less demanding to use. Also a very bit less HH which also mean easier to use for us club player.

But well... Each of us had different preference & describing one skill are not as simple as saying beginner/intermediate/advance. So still, you might like it or you might not. It might be easier for you or might feel ackward with the change. Best thing is to try it yourself if possible.

DF123666 likes this.
  11. Hoang_Ks

Hoang_Ks New Member

I upgraded from 88s 2018 to 88s pro, after one month I sold it and changed to 88d pro. Sure 88s pro is easier to handle, quite faster than OG, but less power than OG, it is more suitable for net player. Less power than OG is the reason that I change to D pro.

DF123666 likes this.
  12. DF123666

DF123666 New Member

Ok we might have quite similar playstyle. Do you smash a lot? I tend to play 50/50 drops and smashes playing doubles.

13. Hoang_Ks

Hoang_Ks New Member

My playstyle was very few smash (30/70), that why I used 88s racket. But now I like to smash more than before (maybe 50/50), due to 88D pro can give me lot of power smash.
    My playstyle has changed, like you will like smashing more when you holding 88D pro in your hand
    I almost play double, just rarely play single, and D pro also help very well when you play single too.

14. DF123666

DF123666 New Member

You are pretty good at convincing people... Any regrets or sth you miss from the 88s?

Hoang_Ks likes this.
  15. Hoang_Ks

Hoang_Ks New Member

Im not good at convincing , as I said at begining, D pro is a amazing racket for me :)
    If there is sth that I miss from 88s that is the feeling when I play near the net, 88s still very good, fast and precise with drop, net spin, net kill...
    All racket I played are 4u, I hope I have chance to try 88s Pro 3u version, many people said it also very surprise to try.

16. DF123666

DF123666 New Member

I didn't mean it in a bad way. I meant that I'm leaning towards the 88dp after reading your comments. I've heard that the 3u version is too heavy and slow for doubles.

Hoang_Ks likes this.
  17. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

I have also just made the switch from the Orginal 88S to 88D Pro, and I am not as convinced as the others in this thread - don't get me wrong the 88D pro is a great racket, no doubt about it - but I am not certain it is that much of an upgrade.
    You should really consider what you like with the 88S.
    The 88D Pro will feel heavier and will give you more power, but the 88S is a faster racket with more control. But I would argue that the differences are 5-10% between the two.

However in my opinion the 88D Pro looks better :)

justforfun and DF123666 like this.
  18. DF123666

DF123666 New Member

Lol I think they both look meh... What do you mean by 5-10%? In which areas?

19. Mikkel Press-Stevn

Mikkel Press-Stevn Regular Member

Looks are personal - hence my own opinion :)

It is my impression that all a great racket - however for different reasons. Based on my time with the 88s and 88d Pro i would say the 88s i 5-10% faster whereas the 88D Pro have 10% more power. But this is not an exact science - just estimates.

DF123666 likes this.
  20. DF123666

DF123666 New Member

Yeah that makes sense. I think that I should work on my smashing technique first. I feel like the racket has a smaller impact than the raw power and technique. My smashes won't suddenly become more powerful just by switching rackets, maybe just a bit. Also the price difference is around 50€, which is not really worth it in my opinion. What do you think?