TotalEnergies BWF SUDIRMAN Cup 2021 - Group Stage Matches (26-30 September)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    DEN and INA will go through no matter what based on my calculation

2. Sirppi

Sirppi Regular Member

So far, I'm quite pleased to see home favourites Koljonen and Oldorff put up a decent fight in MS against high quality players. Koljonen, in particular, has really been upping his game as of late, and he's truly due for a breakthrough. I hope he can maintain his current level of play and keep improving during this Olympiad.

As of now, Oldorff is destined to be Koljonen's successor, and he certainly keeps improving year by year. Finland is such a small badminton nation, which presents its challenges when a youngster is considering turning pro, but we'll keep our fingers crossed. For his age, he seems to be a patient player and stays on top of his game most of the time. They'll be sure to work on his physical attributes and buff up those legs in years to come.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Exactly, both INA and DEN have won twice in their group matches and won't be eliminated.
    But losing 2 matches to CAN was unexpected, especially Jojo's defeat to Brian Yang. I can't see him being fielded against DEN for sure.
    And why wasn't Putri Kusuma Wardani fielded yesterday?

Lineup against DEN will be definitely:
    XD - Praveen Jordan/Melati Daeva Oktavianti (a crucial pt they have to win)
    MS - Anthony Ginting Sinisuka (will be good to see if the Tokyo 2020 Bronze Medallist can give a fight to the Gold Medallist)
    WS - either Gregoria Mariska or Putri Kusuma Wardani (vs either Mia Blichfeldt or Line Christophersen)
    MD - I think the Minions will be fielded against likely a scratch pairing from DEN? (have to win this tie!)
    WD - the Gold Medallist Greysia Polii/Apriyani Rahayu will certainly be fielded to secure this point if it ever gets to this tie

Overall, INA should take the tie either 3-2 or 4-1.

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

CHN, THA, INA, DEN have all qualified for the knock-out rounds.
    JPN and MAS would be the next to qualify today; followed by Korea and either TPE or GER.

Surprise surprise, TPE didn't bring their Gold Medallist and Silver Medallist. With only Chou Tien-Chen holding the fort, I think GER may just beat them 3-2 (through their strong XD, Yvonne Li and WD). Their MD can also give TPE's second stringer a good fight, having pushed Choi Sol Gyu/Seo Seung Jae on Sunday (losing 21-23, 19-21). This will be the tie to watch today!

Looking ahead at the QF list, if INA emerges top, they will face either MAS, GER/TPE or THA. Does the draw permit meeting team from same group?
    The job will be tougher if they emerge second, having to face a daunting task against KOR, JPN or CHN.

5. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Against CHN, despite them fielding their youngsters, INA will be having a hard time and have to win MS (against Shi Yu Qi), MD (He Jiting/Tan Qiang) and the 2 super tough matches in WD (who else but Chen Qingchen/Jia Yifan) and XD (Gold Medallist Huang Dongping/Wang Yilyu). The WS match will be a foregone conclusion against the Gold Medallist Chen Yufei.

Against JPN, the match against Kento Momota is 50-50; and INA simply has to take MD (against second stringers). WD and XD once again will be the key and I am not confident. WS should be JPN's.

Against KOR, once again XD and WD will be tricky and INA has to win one point! MS and MD will also likely secure 2 points if we are not complacent.

So, it will be JPN and CHN once again that will be the biggest hurdle to recapturing the Sudirman Cup. INA's Gold Medallist will play a huge role once again, starting from QF onwards and who knows they may just deliver the goods once again.

As for the Thomas Cup, hopes are high with CHN and JPN being depleted in MS and WD. It is DEN that may be the biggest challengers with their 3 strong MS in Viktor Axelsen, Anders Antonsen, and Rasmus Gemke. I am not confident either of our singles can beat them; when we have to steal at least a point. With Ginting's ranking above Jojo, it is not possible to field Ginting against Antonsen again. TPE can be a dark horse but I think they can at most only win 2 points.

Cheung likes this.
  6. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

She's younger sister of Chico Wardoyo, 16 years old teenager who performed well in domestic simulation match.

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

upload_2021-9-28_10-42-58.png

8. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

That's my question too why they didn't field Putri KW?
    Well, Brian Yang is Canadian young aspirant who looks to watch out next, he almost stunned Chou TC in Tokyo OG plus put tough fight against Antonsen in opening day.

On paper scenario it's 3-2 for INA, the singles category might go to DEN.

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Yes, the repeat group stage match will not happen in last eight.

10. pp35

pp35 Regular Member

Hsu/Lee got called fault on their serves like 6 times in the first game. Could that pole thing that the service judge uses be wrong??

11. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

12. hybisme

hybisme Regular Member

Wondering y TPE didn't bring their best TTY, WZL/LY... they'll have better chance

13. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Don't really understand the strategy of Germany, not fielding Lahmfuss/Lohau for the Mixed and Lohau/Efler for the WD...

This is a crucial match for Ger and TPE, most likely deciding the 2nd spot in group B...

14. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

From what I knew, Isabel just left Vantaa yesterday so she cannot compete today. I think chance of XD would be higher for GER if they fill Mark Lamsfuss with Efler.

15. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Do you know why she left?

16. kurako

kurako Regular Member

stanleyfm and trizzforce like this.
  17. pajrul

pajrul Regular Member

The 15 year old Finn girl could be a future world beater..she seems to have the right attitude and work rate. I hope she gets the coaching she deserves

Simeon likes this.
  18. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Nice to see the Korean WD player go easy on the Thitian WD and taking shots that were clearly out, allowing the Tahitian girls to play some rallies and get some confidence on such a big stage.

Sumanth99 and Simeon like this.
  19. lurker

lurker Regular Member

not awed by KM current performance so far...
    maybe he just warming up

20. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

Feels bad to see him struggling against a World No. 205.