Yonex French Open 2021(26th to 31st October)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by Jiya, Oct 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Maybe Yoo agreed to give it another shot, thinking that Lee might have changed his ways but…he hasn’t lol.

LjS4 likes this.
  2. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

In that case, I would highly recommend you to watch some of the older matches from 2014-2016. Especially matches between Lee/Yoo and Fu Haifeng/Zhang Nan, Ahsan Setiawan and also matches against Ko/Shin and Kim Gi Jung/Kim Sa Rang.

These usually were matches of the highest quality and I still enjoy watching these today, especially the final of the 2014 World Championships between Lee/Yoo and Ko/Shin.

Regarding independent players:
    The National Associations have a huge impact on the players training, schedules and also their partnerships and take quite a big cut of their earnings from tournaments.
    You would have to check this since I can't remember, but I believe Goh and Chan decided to leave on their own (can't remember the circumstances...)

stanleyfm, nizze and hybisme like this.
  3. LjS4

LjS4 Regular Member

Ahsan/setiawan has different playing style than mfg/kss, and they're actually a smart pair and not completely useless when the opponent force them to play long rallies

The top pairs back then more or less were having similar playing style, the play style that mfg/kss clearly doesn't like

4. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

We choose benchmark as the quality which others should refer to as the best. And prev era MD was the best. How can you use present era as benchmark , on which factors ?

How many times have they beaten EndoWata ? H2h is 2-2. Plus watch defence of prime CY/FHF, LYD/JJS and other pairs. Rallies were at incredible pace, fiercity everything which is lacking today. ShettyRR denotated defence of EndoWata. Not a good enough argument that they'll do the same against above mentioned pairs. Plus above pairs' attack let's not talk about it.

Singling out an exception isn't enough to prove a point in general.

nizze and trizzforce like this.
  5. James blake

James blake Regular Member

Kgj was originally a front court player. So hes much more skilled with his racket and has the creative play making skills. Lyd has a YouTube channel, wonder play. They do reviews of old matches and they give away alot of cool Intel. They all have English sub (except for new ones which need time to be translated)

Yys, kgj, a lot of korean team have been on there.

I highly suggest everyone to watch the reviews. Maybe 5 of them online. They talk about how Indonesian players like to end the rally in 3 shots, how Japanese are very basic but yuta is an outlier etc.

One thing that stuck with me. Yys: "when we play Indonesian players, even when we win the match, it feels like we've lost"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stanleyfm and hybisme like this.
  6. James blake

There's also a cool story about the 2017 sudirman cup. The final XD match, choi was asleep. He lost the MD match so badly he never though coach would pick him to play final game. If u watch the video, chois hair is all messed up cause he just woke up

stanleyfm and visor like this.
  7. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Watched all of them and really enjoy the insights they are giving.

Really interesting to hear KGJ say he prefers to be at the front.
    In his partnership with LYD he clearly had the role of a backcourt player.
    With KSR it was more of a dynamic pair with great rotational play but I still feel KGJ was the better (or more effective) player from the rear court with KSR being better at the front.

8. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My favourite MD pair beat my least-favourite MD pair...:D:D:D

stanleyfm, visor and James blake like this.
  9. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

That's because LYD can't hit a winner to save his life:D

samkool and visor like this.
  10. James blake

Glad you enjoyed them. I hope they have more "review" videos soon.

I agree. Even when he was with ksr, he was more of a back court player. They were a fun pair to watch that's for sure. One thing I'll say though is kgj is wayyyyy better than lyd at serving. Lyd serves are so bad since rule change.

Woesi likes this.
  11. James blake

There are probably alot of members on here with harder smashes than lyd lol but to be fair hes had shoulder issues in the past.

12. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Had the same thought when I saw that thunderous smash from SBC against Gideon earlier, LYD would not have won the rally if he were in SBC's place:D

visor likes this.
  13. Woesi

Woesi Regular Member

Zhang Nan also really struggled, despite being one of the best servers before the change of rules. But considering how much they must have trained their services in the 10 years or so before the change of rules, I can definitely understand them struggling with it.

Shin Baek Cheol on the other hand converted really well and I feel like Ko's serve is steadier than it used to be.

decrepit likes this.
  14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i was at the time the rule was drafted.

stanleyfm and terrynguyen121988 like this.
  15. Naughty Dog

Naughty Dog Regular Member

Pretty sure those were the race for the end of year World Tour Final rankings that you saw, which are different from the overall World Rankings. If you look online, the World Tour rankings are different from World rankings for all disciplines - World Tour rankings are all sorts of weird until the end of the year, from what I remember. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong

16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    it's a stupid rule they needed to implement in order to plug a hole in the quasi team structure they insist on governing the sport with.
    i do not know of any published bwf bylaw allowing an appeal under the grounds of genuine injury or any other circumstance. if there was it would be admitting the rule was added cover a flaw in the overall system. the current structure is blatantly dictatorial and authoritative.

if the 'matsutomo incident' is a fact it just confirms bwf's lack of professionalism by allowing a 'backroom' deal.

17. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Nasty ladies! Surely not! :eek: :D

But you are right. Invoking gender here is quite inappropriate.

18. wade

wade Regular Member

He must specifically talk about ahsan/hendra lol, I remember cai yun used to say the same thing about kido/hendra. I think hendra was the pioneer of this 3 shots thing.

19. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Mentioned before that the top 10 doubles pairing of 2017 to today are not the same as the top 10 pairings of 2007 to 2016. If Hendra-Ahsan of that previous era remained on top No.2 now when they were their top spot were not guaranteed pre 2017 you know that that previous era gave us some of the best mens doubles pairing. Today only Gideon-Kevin of 2018 could match up to those guys and may not even dominate if they were tp play LeeYD YooYS, Ko-Shin, Fu-Cai, Tan -Koo, Hendra - Kido/ Ahsan, Morgen and Boe, even Paaske and co.

Yesterday match showed that Gideon-Kevin style has been found put and many pairs already know how to play them. If Ko-Shin in their twight light years can make short work of them , you know that from 2017-2018 Gideon-Kevin comtemporaries coudnt measure up to them and the previous top doubles players pre 2017 were already on the wane.

Justin L and nizze like this.
  20. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

I get nervous every time watching Ko serves, just like he tried to throw the shuttle away. It looked quite clumsy and I'm really scared he would be faulted, but yesterday he's so stable I'm happy for that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.