Change string tension 3U and 4U?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by Cheung, Nov 8, 2021.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I'm a long term user of 3U racquets.

Usually I use BG 80 at 28lbs

I have been trying 4U racquets and messing around with other strings.

For the same racquet, 4U vs 3U, do you string at the same tension considering the mass is different between the two racquets? Or do you adjust it down or up?

2. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

I don't adjust string tension based on the weight of my racquets. It's common to lower string tension if the string is thinner than your last set.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

3. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I can definitely tolerate a higher tension with more overall/headweight. I factor in weight and also shaft stiffness when choosing my tension.

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

puttguy likes this.
  4. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Cheung, heavier racket moves string more so it makes you feel like string a little softer. I went through similar change from AX88D 3U to 4U and did feel it more comfortable and more comparable with 1 lb less (28 to 27 lbs). But it only matters for fast drive/defense or maybe backhand clear/drive. Overhead shots should not be affected too much.

5. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I would lower the tension on the 4U when I come from the 3U, because the shaft would play stiffer due less head weight.

I would lower the tension on the 3U when I come from the 4U, because due more head weight I will likely swing the racket slightly slower.

visor likes this.
  6. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I never thought about it before, because I never switched only the weight while keeping the same racket, but...
    ... this was my first thought, just the other way around. When having adapted to the new racket, the 4U is likely to be swung faster, thus I might need stiffer stringbed on it.

ucantseeme likes this.
  7. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    This was also one of my thoughts. Normally I keep my tension and see in which direction I should go 1 up or 1 down. So less weight in head, but stiffer shaft should neutralize each other. I personally didn't mention it, because playing with a lb less give hardly any disadvantage. One lb more can be crucial for some players who keep toeing the max of tension they can handle, so I was just careful.

speCulatius likes this.
  8. boby

boby Regular Member

ime... lowering tension, doesn't make it feel better. i prefer use same tension and same string or a bit more repulsion string on lighter racket if possible. (i always play with 3U first, then folow with the lighter racket when tired)

iirc.... i was used both 88d OC 3U & 4U. the lighter racket a bit faster and feel stiffer, it's better for control, but need more effort to produce similar power than a 3U version, in the end beefier 3U make more addictive to use.

puttguy likes this.
  9. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    This is something which never got. Playing a more demanding racket first and than changing in between to a tamer one is IMO a clear sign that you use a racket which you can't handle. If it is weight, stiffness or tension, I don't know.

Very slightly lowering has many advantages and no disadvantage. I doubt that anybody is so sensitive to 1lbs. E.g. YOU don't need an easier spare because you run out of steam. If you change from 3U to 4U or vice versa (depending with is the default) 1lbs is low enough to get a few mm in size of the sweet spot and comfort to help a bit the timing issues to adjust. Especially for many people the change for 3U to 4U is huge enough so they don't wanna change the string to a more repulsive one. Especially in @Cheung 's case you have no option if BG80 is the default to find something which feels close. I doubt that many follow the rule of @DinkAlot to play the lowest tension they can tolerate. I would lower my default string first if I need a bit more repulsion instead of seeking for a more repulsive string I like which is more costly.

boby likes this.
  10. puttguy

puttguy Regular Member

I can understand changing your racquet for one with different properties if you are playing singles vs doubles.
    For regular players; experimenting with different racquets and string setups is something you might want to do when you start getting more into badminton but once you've found the right combo why would change that? Unless you can no longer get the same string or racquet.
    I would say you're better off working on your fitness or technique than using a racquet/string combo to compensate for your lack of fitness, technique or mood on the day.

Sent from my SM-N9750 using Tapatalk

boby likes this.
  11. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I don't get the reason for your post and why you point it to me?

12. Budi

Budi Regular Member

I come up with some question similar to this one out of curiousity.
    Rather than 3U & 4U, how about frame size?
    If you play normal frame then go to compact frame or the opposite, do you change string tension?

13. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I recommend to try. Sweet spot gets slightly smaller and higher on a compact, the stringbed is slightly more dense due shorter length of each segement. So 1.5 to 2 lbs sounds reasonable if you got your normal racket strung to the highest playable border for yourself.