skill or racket?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by kurty, Nov 11, 2021.

1. kurty

kurty Regular Member

ah long
    been playing badminton for coming to 3 years, still loving the sport.

i wonder, is it worth investing in an expensive racket?
    will it really bring my skill level to another level?

all of my rackets are cheap; apacs feather weight 55, lethal 7, yonex LD 9
    in fact, i only got 3..

on the other hand, i do invest in good shoes, as I'm a flat footer, it really helps.

i guess both are equally important but how do we choose our racket?
    there's ton of rackets out there, can't possible to buy them all like pokemon cards :D

#1 kurty, Nov 11, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2021
  2. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

No.
    And no.

Good choice.
    Shoes are more important! They help preventing injuries and you only have one body. Badminton is a hard impact sport. That's not good for your body, so do what you can to stay healthy. Good, not worn out shoes are more important than an expensive racket.

Cheap is not bad. And you have three rackets already... that's a lot.

But if you really want to go for another racket, lets talk about it...
    True. You already have three different rackets. Do they all have decent strings (read as "no factory strings"), possibly even the same string at the same tension? Then you can see which of those rackets you like best and what you are still missing. Going from that, you can try to find a racket that you like better, going from specs and then trying on court. If you found a racket you like and you're getting more serious, just get two or three of the same rackets and stop thinking about it! Get used to one racket and stop switching around. Invest in a coach rather than rackets.

ojayz, xzavire, ubootsg and 6 others like this.
  3. kurty

kurty Regular Member

ah long
    Hello there,
    i pick up badminton from scratch and with an ACL which i didnt bother to go for the op as i'm kinda old and living with it perfectly fine.
    as a rookie, i started with feather weight 55 and get really used to it.
    control, net play etc.
    recently, i pick up my heavier racket which is the lethal 7, a 4U and start to train my smash and clear.
    apparently, the clear distance seem to be better and smash goes sharp with power as compare to a super light weight racket.

Hence, i start to have thoughts about investing in a better off racket.
    my tension increase from 24 to now, 26. as for the string, i usually go for the cheapest...

Yes, i also had a coach for 2 years but currently, have to stop due to the government restriction.
    I'm still training on my own, with my wife actually.

4. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

How much does the string/tension/stringing affect how well the racket play?

Brand, technology and price doesn't matter. Your hand decides which racket feels the best. Find what racket specifications (weight, flexibility, balance point) you enjoy playing with by trying different rackets. See if other's will allow you to play with their racket for a bit just to see how it feels.

String and tension can have a large impact on how it feels when you hit the shuttle, so if you are trying rackets, take into account the difference in string and tension.

ojayz, kwun and speCulatius like this.
  5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

In simple
    racket regardless high end or low end had their own characteristic due to its tech & material used. So the feel would be different & as long your mind & body like it & enjoy it, why bother if its cheap low end racket.
    Then high end racket generally more demanding. In term of power those demanding racket had higher max power but at the same time require higher power from player to unlock it. Also it had better control due to stiffer shaft or stable frame. The question, do you need those even harder smash & 1mm tight close net shot? If its a battle between GOD (the pros) yes you need a GOD class weapon. You dont want to put handicap on yourself right. But if (let say beginner) the opponent cant even kill 30cm high net shot or your current smash are already deadly enough to break your opponent defense, why need those expensive & demanding racket.
    Also even if you get the expesive racket, would your net shot instantly become tighter? No, does your smash getting harder? Probably if you had the power to unlock it, but would be more tiring than your old one.
    & remember its expensive racket & racket clash commonly happen even on the pros. If your friend use cheap racket & clashing with yours, well.... Its more painfull in your hearth when yours broken. So do you really need those or you just want 1 expesive racket to feel like a pro or you are fans of KM & want to own his racket?

So come back to the subject racket or skill? I would say skill. Spend the money for coaching if you are seriously want to get better rather than getting new racket.

#5 Budi, Nov 12, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2021
    kurty likes this.
  6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Get the wife to buy new racquets and you can try them out. Then you won't feel guilty about buying new racquets

7. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    buy the wife new rackets. then you borrow them. win win. :D

Cheung likes this.
  8. MarketWizard

MarketWizard Regular Member

If you're like me, who finds faults with every product you buy. (e.g. This stupid midrange Galaxy phone is a bit too wide for my hands. I don't like how it feels in my hand! And the processing power is freaking slow! It takes a full 2 seconds longer to load apps. I don't have time for this crap. That's 30 hours extra a year when I have to start X amount of apps every day. And the finger print scanner can't even get it right on the first try 4/10 times. What a piece of junk. Ugh, I'm returning this. I don't care that I have to spend an extra $400 and transfer all my data over, and do the 2 factor authentication for every single thing again..... *True story by the way*), then you're someone who is really sensitive to products and User Experience and needs everything calibrated to the way you like them. For people like that, then you will benefit from a high end racket that is suitable for you. For me, I still haven't found anything that beats the 88S. Just know that the grip size, grip material, and the strings make just as big of a difference for the feel as the racket does itself, if not more.

Having said all that, advanced players tend to be more picky about things because if something helps their game even 0.1%, it's a pretty big margin when you get up to the professional level. But I find that there are plenty of people who are better than me are far less picky than I am, and frankly can't even tell the difference between 21lbs of factory string tension versus 26lbs of tension of BG80 Power (*also true story*). So if that gives you any kind of reference point, I think you'll know the answer whether it's worth spending money for a high end racket.

kurty and Cheung like this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This is true. It head light, medium balance and head heavy are also factors that can help. Truly, the variations are a lot and confusing.

Recently I bought 4U slightly head heavy (I had 3U) before. Because now I switched to doubles, I don't need to do so many clears in a match. Previously, I really couldn't use 4U very well, but with some extra coaching and time, it's getting better.

It's a very individual preference, all designed by racquet manufacturers to squeeze as much money as possible out of us.

kurty likes this.
  10. MarketWizard

Consider selling your high end racket too if you don't like it. It's very easy to find a buyer on this site and I've sold 4 high end rackets so far, $40-$50 below what I paid for it. I think that's pretty good considering I was able to try it out for a few weeks. After all you'll never know what you like unless you try them.

11. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    The main thing for me is to have 1 racket that I play with all the time, so whenever I buy rackets I will buy 3 or 4 of the same. Whatever racket you have you will adjust to over time.

A couple of decades ago I went through MP99, Ti-10 etc. high end yonex, I could never settle with them and bought a few lower end karakal rackets as I knew the manufacturer. I played on the national circuit with these and loved them. I was still playing with them until a few months ago and I wanted to carry on but I've only got a couple left and so I need to make a switch sooner or later. I have bought some similar spec apacs rackets which were on offer and they are just fine. When factoring in the fact I need my rackets restrung they work out about £30 each, so for the price of 1 yonex I got 4 rackets, they are fine by me and will give me a good decade of service.

It's what suits you, not what costs the most. And usually what suits you is whatever you stick with and keep playing with. All rackets have advantages and disadvantages.

It's really not going to make much difference unless you are playing as a pro and need the extra 1 or 2% difference to your game. That said I remember a pro a while ago playing with one of Karakal's bottom of the line rackets.

As long as the racket can be strung to a decent tension and feels ok the main thing is to practice with it a lot. For example I know with the same racket, string and tension, my strokes are going to be predictable and this consistency is what makes the difference.

Shoes on the other hand I will spend on.

#11 UkPlayer, Nov 13, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2021
    ubootsg, kurty, badmintonpog1 and 2 others like this.
  12. kurty

kurty Regular Member

ah long
    unlikely... she even more frugal.. only have 2 rackets, 1 shoe.. :D
    while i have 3 rackets, 3 using shoe.. 1 gonna donate away soon

13. kurty

kurty Regular Member

ah long
    my itchy fingers bought 2 new rackets from shopee
    Astrox 88D & JETSPEED S12F, got them with strings less than SGD 30 each..
    many reviews, i doubt they are real. From taiwan

well, still on its way here.

i guess the default strings gonna sucks.
    will replace them with BG66 once snapped.

14. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

So you wanted to upgrade your game with buying highend rackets. And yet you end up ordering obvious fake rackets which -I hate to break it to you- are nothing but some standard low-level OEM rackets underneath the paint.

This is most likely the worst possible outcome of this whole thread.

15. kurty

kurty Regular Member

ah long
    :D i know i'm in wrong but i'm trying them out, come on.

#15 kurty, Nov 19, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
  16. MarketWizard

Why would you ask for advice about buying high end rackets and have people dedicate time explaining to you the difference, and then knowingly buy fakes? What an insult.

StanDa1, ubootsg, Shamwow and 3 others like this.
  17. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The first question was skill or racket & majority answer are skill.
    Now the next question skill or brain:rolleyes:

ubootsg and badmintonpog1 like this.
  18. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    As Gillian Clarke would’ve said “I don’t believe it … I’m absolutely gobsmacked!”

19. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    Trying out fakes? As long as you know they won't be representative of the genuine racket!

Sent from my SM-A315G using Tapatalk

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Ouch.