I feel I have a lot to work on, but where should I start first?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by precrime3, Jan 31, 2020.

1. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    I'm Not Dead! 11-12

Hey guys, I know it's been a while. Life has been busy, outside of badminton as my career has become a bit more involved (in a good way.)

Since my last update:
    - Took a week off in Mexico city (work related travels)
    - Am cleared from Physical therapy!
    - Have yet to lose the 10-15 pounds I got from not training in September :p
    - experienced what private lessons are like when your coach speaks the same language as you, so feel I learned a lot there

- In/overcoming a mentality slump (some wouldn't call it this)

Slump
    This slump I'm calling it has only been going on for a few days, and may not really even be a slump by some peoples definitions. Regardless, I noticed that lately I've been really frustrated with my game, and not getting as much pleasure from training as I used to. THere' been many times in Thailand where I'm tired or didn't want to show up to practice, but this feeling seemed different - almost a true dread.

Could be burn out, who knows. COuld also be that after I beat Ben, my friend from back home, I didn't have a goal that pushed me as much as the thought of beating him did. Working wth my coach, I've been trying to mentally reframe myself to win smaller goals - reduce serve errors, good contact point, things I can directly control. Instead of worrying about points, which are sometimes out of your control.

It's been working and yesterday was actually a good day for once, but we'll see.

As for gameplay footage below are some singles matches:

at 45:40
    at 47:14
    starting at 10:51 (a buch of single one set to 21)

I def am beginning to feel that the physical is holding me back but technically feel am improving as I am getting better at flatter lifts, being more aggressive on serves, etc. One thing I'd like to focus coming up is faster drops, after I cement the contact point.

Malaysia Soon? Hopefully
    I originally was planning to stay in Raleigh until end of decemebr but the wonderlust in me plus general loneliness is getting to me - only person here I know is my girlfriend and a friend from home who also came up here before me to train!

I've always wanted to go to Tactical badminton but wasn't able to due to COVID but now seems it is possible:
    - Starting nov 29th, vaccinated people from Singapore are able to go to Malaysia via land border.
    - Singapore has no quarantine now.

SOOOO my thinking is go to Singapore for 2 weeks to just explore the place and do a light offseason, and then travel to Malaysia via the land border and start trading with Coach Andrew @ Tactical. I talked with him yesterday about this on Whatsapp and he said that would be fine with him. So now gotta see if that is legally/ technically possible. If so, I'll probably make my way there around mid December and celebrate Xmas in Singapore lol.

That's it for now guys :)

Kowalski likes this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One week in Singapore should be enough. It's not that big a place.

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Hitherto land travels between Singapore and Malaysia ( Johor Bahru) is still closed, only air travels between Singapore and Kuala Lumpur starting from November 29th but details are still vague.

4. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Yeah this is what I'm banking on. I'm assuming they will require you to be in Singapore for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3. It maybe just for citizens of the respective countries which if that's the case then Im toast

5. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    SmashBounce Atlanta Tournament 11-19-11/21 Results
    Let's start with some pro's:

I made it past my first round in singles and doubles (singles on a technicality lol)
    Was def a lot more calm, not nervous? Still made some unforced errors but they were more on misjudging shuttlecocks than straight nerves.
    Performance was better compared to last year.

I didn't even play singles last time haha! Anyways, here's our video from last year:

And the footage from this year:
    (singles game, first game didn't record wtf. Score was 15-21 and 19-21. The second game was def winnable but the guy kept giving dishonest line judges (I counted 4 after reviewing footage). Really upset about it.

(Doubles game. Haven't played with my partner prior to this match and the guys were not too good. The second round we got destroyed but have yet to upload it as still traveling).

For December what is the plan?
    If Korea would open, I was just thinking of going tbh. But I don't want to quarantine for 10 days again. Japan would be fun to travel to but still closed. Am debating going to:
    - Mexico (to learn Spanish and travel)
    - France/Spain (friend + family both traveling there)
    - Malaysia/Singapore (badminton training, but first have to go to Singapore to get to Malaysia via Land border cause COVID)

- Or just stay home... I've gained 20 pounds since Thailand and def feel that's making a negative impact on my health/game.

#345 precrime3, Nov 22, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
  7. matthiascrost

matthiascrost New Member

I am no expert, but with your MS match, I think your takeaway from it is probably unhelpful. I didn't see many incorrect line calls. For example, if you are thinking of the one at the 2.21 mark then you need to consider that your camera is not at a good angle to judge that backline, because the person on the sideline with a better line of sight also gestured that it is out (and the trajectory certainly looks like it's too flat too stay in).

However, you are right in that the match was winnable. My coach always talks about critical thinking, and the question here should be why you didn't capitalise on the obvious opportunities to beat your opponent. He is clearly less fit, his footwork is sloppy and he is also unable to play a proper backhand shot. I would advise re-watching the video with that mindset.

Good examples of what actually you can do to win the game are the mistake in the split step/anticipation at 3.10 to a relatively standard service return, the lack of a proper jump chain + taking the shuttle low at 3.26 and also the service error at 5.14. At 8.15 you manage to construct a good rally, but rush the kill. That's already 4 points, so even if your opponent was being dishonest you should still be winning the game.

precrime3 likes this.
  8. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
  9. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    No absolutely. Even if those 4 points were truly mine, I should've wiped the floor. I go over the points you talk about in my reaction/analysis video of this match but there was far more I did wrong than he did

10. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Quick Update: Flying out to Korea December 8th. After Quarantine, I should be able to start doing full time training again with my coach/partner (transition to front doubles) starting December 19th!

badmintonpog1 and Cheung like this.
  11. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Quarantine finished, had some traveling but had my first private lesson today! Will update at the end of next week :)

12. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

In the rally at 1:09-1:30 in Doubles match 12-25-21 where you lost it, You were standing so far forward and were not at all ready to move back. Had you been at your proper base then you could have smashed that poor cross court clear.

Your female partner kept clearing it, clearly because it'd have been better if you were at the back(she can set you up to smash).. I understand if maybe you didn't go sides if you thought you lacked time to.. But at the part where you lost the point, was after your partner had lifted it and then after your partner had done a clear and you are standing there too near the front with straight legs. You're in the wrong place and not ready to move anywhere. And your choice of shot was odd too, a cross court clear besides that hardly went anywhere, so they just smashed it at your partner. It's really shockingly bad actually.if seen from the standard of intermediate or strong intermediate club level , Normally in clubs the female players are on average much worse, because it's hard to find half decent female players.

Also watching another rally she's clearing it and you're just standing there , this time the camera is opposite you, and it looks like you aren't even considering going sides! You must be driving your unfortunate female partner mad!

#352 ralphz, Dec 25, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2021
    precrime3 likes this.
  13. returntobadmin

returntobadmin Regular Member

You can travel to Malaysia via Langkawi Travel Bubble.

14. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    First of all its funny you think she's a decent player - she's actually a coach here HAHAHAHHA. As for this I totally agree. I don't ever play mixed doubles, I have no idea what positioning and rhythm is supposed to feel like so you got me there.

I think here it was because I don't think she wanted to go to the front. The skill levels were quite unbalanced and this was more of a recreational game than anything. The guy on the other side only drops and clears so I wasn't scared of a smash

15. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Two Weeks +/- of Training in Korea Update
    If you guys have been following on my Instagram/ YouTube you know I have been in Korea for some time and getting true 1/1 training for a while now. The body is getting back into shape now, and moving faster/hitting harder as I'm switching to doubles. I still play some singles but I notice that some skills are slipping, - especially tight hairpins and drops from the around the head corner (but that has always been a weakness).

Got around to buying a second 100zz 4u, to get me back to 2 3U's and 2 4u's (a 3U of mine broke) :(

16. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

Good player doesn't mean not a coach.

If a game is "recreational" that doesn't mean you shouldn't take it seriously.

If you didn't want to play mixed doubles you could have played level doubles.

And if you are playing with a coach that is every reason to take it seriously.

If I am in a tournament and my partner is a lost cause, can't communicate, has funny positioning.. , then maybe I won't take it seriously, because it's hopeless.

How seriously I take it depends on my partner.

You'd benefit from a coach that communicates to you when you go wrong during a game.. Or if not that then reviewing a game with a coach. And you can get pointers on here too.

I suggest you go through the video with her , the good player female coach you played with,, and ask her where you should have been. Then you can do it better next time!

In some clubs , even somewhat selective ones, it's possible to go a whole evening with all poor partners or strange partners, And the game isn't even worth reviewing, and that can be most games. You should recognise how valuable it is to get to play with a good player, especially one that is a coach, and make use of it in reviewing it. And reviewing it more than many other videos.

#356 ralphz, Jan 14, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    precrime3 likes this.
  17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think your rhythm and quick footsteps timing have improved heck of a lot. Before Korea, you were working more on the basics, how to place the feet in the footwork patterns.

I think the previous singles footwork has benefitted your doubles training a lot. Because you understand the footwork better, you pick up the doubles footwork really quickly and the court doesn't doesn't feel as large when training a set sequence of shots.

I would say that's very good progress indeed and although you might not be as fit and strong as before, you use what have better - more efficient and more effective.

You also look leaner than before!

Obviously things are going pretty well but to add one thing, can you fix that turning out of the racquet head when you do the overhead shot? It would be a real shame if you don't fix it for long term. (Plus , it irritates me no end to see not fixed LOL)

precrime3 likes this.
  18. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A

Yes I am trying to work on the overhead racket thingy :pppp

xDuusk likes this.
  19. precrime3

precrime3 Regular Member

N/A
    Hey guys, new update soon. Korea is going through like lunar new year, which is a huge deal here lol. I'll share some footage next time I train!

teaser is I'm definitely improving. Feel and am quicker despite being heavier. Going on a miserable 60 day cut starting from Feb 1 to lose some weight to improve the physical. Consistency is better but still making unacceptable amount of easy mistakes.

Drops in terms of speed and consistency remains my worst tool I think. Smashes are plateauing and need to work on technique more (can't use 4u rackets at all anymore lol for some reason)

Cheung likes this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Had a look at your post video which oddly is labelled singles when the games are doubles. LOL.

There are a few areas to address:

Not used to the tactics for doubles. It means you are a bit slow in anticipating the next shot.

You can't turn a return of serve to your advantage. You stand pretty close to the front but at the time you hit the shuttle, it's already dropped below the level of the net and you have to hit the shuttle upwards first. This makes you automatically less threatening. You need to make a focussed effort into trying to reach the shuttle as early as possible.

Overhead drops and other overhead shots look different. You'll need to work on playing the dropshot with a quicker arm speed.

Need to use more finger technique and also be able to change quickly backhand to forehand and vice versa. You get stuck with the wrong grip on occasions.

For smashes, it is a much better action compared to before but needs some more fine tuning with your hip movement and timing , your left hand / arm and need to contract your core more on hitting the shuttle.