TotalEnergies BWF WORLD Championships 2021 : R/64-Final (12-19 December)

Discussion in '2021 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Dec 11, 2021.

1. lodoss

lodoss Regular Member

ya, and LS made it to the semi too. So 2021 coach of the year should go to Viktor.

Woesi, Simeon and dood1234 like this.
  2. Lucan

Lucan Regular Member

History! First BWC gold for Singapore!
    Congratulations LKY!
    Just days ago people were wishing LKY less heavy draw.

I recalled listening an interview podcast with him before, but I don't remember what it was. He seems nice and a likeable person. I hope he won't be burdened by the title & far from injury.

KS almost pushed a rubber. Great fight, reminded me why he was a WR1. Silver ain't bad, not at all.

Congrats for all the champions and medallists for all categories. Especially Dechapol/Sapsiree, Chen/Jia, Yamaguchi, Hoki-Kobayashi, LKY.
    Though I'm pretty disappointed that every single match today was a straight set.

Baddie lover and arjevo like this.
  3. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

Well yes. Let me explain. Once LKY got going it was obvious that he would win. But Kidambi kept pushing the limits and showed a very nice play. He tried to control his usual behaviours and kept calm as much as possible. Unfortunately, he made to many mistakes.

Sumanth99 likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It’s multi factorial but for some people, it’s just the one piece of a puzzle that makes everything fit in. I would like to think that training with Viktor gave an insight on how much work is needed to get that extra 2-3% improvement in performance. Or even, it showed LKY how close he was to the very top and gave him the confidence.

dood1234, Sumanth99 and Loh like this.
  5. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

This reminds me of 2011 WC when Morten said LCW is the better player, but the other commentator said but LD is champion. Morten had no reply to that :cool:

hyun007, Justin L and Cheung like this.
  6. GoodmintonLover

GoodmintonLover Regular Member

If training with Axelsen is the main reason, then why didn't other players who were also in the camp became like LKY. I believe Mulyo has a bigger role to play.

hyun007 likes this.
  7. EastDevil

EastDevil Regular Member

What job?
    It simply doesn't make any good sense to declare the loser as the better player. They are al nervous and tired. A much more experienced player making a lot of errors simply mean that he is not good enough. conceptually, I don't see how in the world can a player be a very good player but makes 21 errors in a set for 2 sets. Making too many errors is a fundamental flaw.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Sen got to the semifinal.

I already mentioned Toby Penty a few posts earlier

9. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

Congrats LKY, great use of the rare opportunity to win a WC title. Held his nerve very well for a first timer, better than SK.

I think LKY is too dependent on his speed in winning points. He doesn’t show that great tactical awareness (SK was doing those half smashes from the first point and LKY still kept falling for it). His shots lack depth more frequently than other top players e.g backhand clears. And his choice of shots expose him a lot defensively. I’m sure other players will figure him out in no time. He made the most of this opportunity though, good job world champion ;)

Kowalski, decrepit, Cheung and 2 others like this.
  10. Airos

Airos Regular Member

That was one of the most crucial errors that Srikanth made.

Had Srikanth won that point, I think he would have won the gold.

11. decrepit

decrepit Regular Member

Well I think tactically, yes. He had the plan but other aspects, unfortunately no.

12. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Loh has had a great tournament, but it would be difficult to claim that he controlled the flow of the match today. It was Kidambi's game to lose, and lose he did, ... through countless errors, many of them unforced. That fact notwithstanding, his racquet work and tactics were a pure delight to watch. A really nice match; shame it didn't go to three games.

13. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Some fans had the same thoughts with LD too.

Quentin11 likes this.
  14. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Yes, this is key! The coaches and other top players have not figured out LKY yet. LKY skyrocketed this tournament and the coaches and other top players have not fully analyzed his weaknesses yet.

Compare this to TTY in 2017 when she skyrocketed to #1. What did TTY do in 2017? She skipped the WC to play in the Universaide in Taiwan, lol. And the irony is, TTY's other Taiwan national team teammates opted to play in the WC over the Universaide in Taiwan.

Fast forward 4 years later, and TTY has not won an Olympic gold or WC gold yet. Part of the reason why she hasn't won? I believe it's because some of the top players and coaches have figured out her game, and use it against her in the Olympic and WC finals. I'm sure TTY's nerves also get to her in the finals of the Olympics or WC. But there is no doubt that the other top players and coaches know of her weaknesses too, and it makes it harder for TTY to win an Olympic or WC gold.

We will see what happens to LKY over the next few years. LKY might win more WC and Olympic titles, even if other players and coaches are able to better analyze his game (even for LD after 2008, it became harder for him to win, look at how LCW generally closed the gap with LD after 2008). But it definitely helps when the top players and coaches have not fully analyzed your game yet and don't know what are your weaknesses.

#1094 galaxyduo, Dec 19, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2021
    skhai91, extremenanopowe and rhoder like this.
  15. GoodmintonLover

GoodmintonLover Regular Member

Why would TTY do that?

16. rhoder

rhoder Regular Member

That’s... a weird statement to say. Winning a point that isn’t even game point in G2 makes one player win gold?

EastDevil likes this.
  17. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Hardly heard or seen pictures of Mulyo training our top players. The local coach, Kelvin Ho, has been seen at various tournaments giving tips to LKY and YJM. Kelvin has once played for Singapore.

EastDevil likes this.
  18. Airos

Airos Regular Member

Psychology matters.
    After mid-game interval in game 2, Srikanth was playing better than LKY. But he made unforced errors at crucial moments. Had he managed to win that point, he would have likely won the game. And had he won the game, he would be in a better position to win the next as well. He was starting to read LKY better.

19. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, come back in 2023 after I have sorted out my game.

20. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Only TTY knows why she skipped the WC in 2017. All I can say is that many of TTY's other Taiwan teammates skipped the Universaide in Taiwan to compete in the WC instead.

You can see the WC 2017 player list year and all the Taiwan players that played in it: https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/players.aspx?id=4A6A351C-463C-4229-8233-F7459FAD92B5.

Even CTC opted to play in the WC 2017 over the Taiwan Universaide. This was TTY's decision to skip the WC in 2017, one that she may regret forever because she has never won an Olympic or WC title.