2022 HK Open gossip

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by Cheung, Mar 21, 2022.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    As you know, recent HK opens have been decimated by the virus and HK’s very strict quarantine conditions (3 weeks in a hotel).

If you have been following the news, HK has had a devastating wave of omicron which has basically led to the HK government in effect throwing away the zero covid policy.

Quarantine requirements have now to been reduced to seven days in a hotel (because there’s more covid in HK than coming into HK from travellers).

The HK tourism board will put on events to attract visitors to HK. I remember the year of SARS (2003), that year’s HK Open was extremely well funded. I think the prize money was doubled. It was a wonderful atmosphere.

I think the same again will happen this year. HK Open is WT500 at the moment but I am very hopefully there will be an upgrade to WT750. Will it go to WT1000? Perhaps we can hope for something extra from the HK Tourism board because they only have half a year of events to do something to celebrate the 25th anniversary of reverting back to China.

Meanwhile, the board said it will re-launch the Free Tour and Staycation Delights programs soon after the local outbreak subsides, providing support to the tourism and hotel industry and stimulating the local economy.

……

The board will also hold large-scale events to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the establishment of the HKSAR.

https://www.thestandard.com.hk/brea...ourism-rebounds-in-second-half:-Tourism-Board

2. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

good news, I was afraid of HK Open will be cancelled.

Nishimoto has good time in HK Open 2018

3. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

It's time for countries to just accept Covid as another flu variant that exists (provided that 90% of the citizens have been vaccinated)

So it is good that HK is transitioning into this state

Simeon likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think China is the only country in the world to try and keep to zero covid but the restrictions are extremely tough if there’s an outbreak. The restrictions really hurt international sports events in China. I am not so optimistic about any tournaments that are in China and Macau. Those definitely have a chance of being cancelled.

nokh88 likes this.
  5. Hbmao

Hbmao Regular Member

Well, the Asian games for sure won’t be canceled : )

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Yeah that will be ok but other WT events are at high risk.

7. wannaplay

wannaplay Regular Member

the city went from having an anti-masking law to masking law, thank goodness this didn't happen at the same time, would be very confusing for the people, especially those visiting.

8. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    A matter of luck I guess. I got more than 10 students got covid. All recovered. Am still worried. Lol fingers crossed. ;)

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Sad to say that it won’t.

They did apply for 750 status but rejected.

10. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    Jealousssssss. I can't really see the China Open going on (if they have even scheduled one this year?)

I am just waiting for an open HK-China border again so I can go visit! I miss my bi-monthly trips! And I miss HK Disney! ;P

11. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

I'm afraid China Open will be cancelled this year.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Unfortunately, the status of the the tournament is still up in the air. I am not hopeful that the tournament will go ahead.

HK rugby sevens is ‘going ahead’ in November but there’s talk of having them in a quarantine and a bubble. That’s ludicrous considering HK has around 4000 new covid cases per day.

Will badminton players will come for a seven day quarantine?. Perhaps a situation may occur like the Taipei Open - many players who marginally don’t need the points at the higher rankings won’t attend but those who stand to gain a lot will come.

The good news is that the venue will be moving to a purpose built stadium in possibly 2023 and almost certainly by 2024. 7500 seat capacity. Six match courts and six practice courts.

#12 Cheung, Aug 5, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2022
  13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

At least I did manage to attend the Malaysian Open .

lurker likes this.
  14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

And then Bloomberg comes with this article, less than an hour ago

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ls-target-end-to-hotel-quarantine-in-november

Hong Kong is targeting an end to hotel quarantine in November, ahead of a summit of global bankers and an international rugby competition, even as a resurgence in Covid-19 cases prompts health officials to push back on the plan, according to people familiar with the debate.

Chief Executive John Lee is leaning toward scrapping hotel quarantine before the November events to signal Hong Kong is back in business, despite the objections of some in his administration, the people said. Health Secretary Lo Chung-mau is among those who want to tighten restrictions as cases surge, one person added, on the hope that suppressing cases will lead to the reopening of the mainland border.

The momentum is on the side of ending quarantine on the international border over resuming unimpeded travel with the mainland, one of the people said, as many in the government view public opinion in favor of opening to boost the economy. A final decision will ultimately hinge on the daily case count, the number of fatalities and public perception, the person said.

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Looks like Europe leg (DEN, FRA, Hylo GER) in October would be BWF last World tour in 2022 as big question mark whether the tournaments will go ahead at China soil end of this year.

16. lurker

lurker Regular Member

the year ending WTF will be at INA

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

This years HK Open originally scheduled for November has been already been cancelled because of covid restrictions. There is now talk in the media of all covid restrictions on travel being lifted possibly as early as next week :rolleyes:.

There’s a lot of influential business people pushing for the dropping of all restrictions, especially with traditionally conservative economies such as Japan and Taiwan opening up. A huge piece of news was Singapore overtaking HK as a financial centre due to covid restrictions. This would certainly put pressure on the HK government to end covid restrictions. Looking forward to next year, the only thing that could stop HK Open would be monkey pox epidemic. (Element of sarcasm here).

sen and Hbmao like this.
  18. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well Shenzhen also has number of covid cases. I doubt GZ will be saved and there goes the WTF as well.

19. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    I hope they move WTF to avoid cancellation, but maybe its too late to do that now. Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta would have been nice