SMART Badminton ASIA Championships 2022 (Manila, 26 April-01 May)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Apr 25, 2022.

1. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    WHY is delaying.

2. Vestige117

Vestige117 Regular Member

LZJ going to for the win.

3. Vestige117

LZJ to the final!

4. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

WHY winning streaks end there…

5. Vestige117

There is a possibility that WHY might become the next Chen Long against Lee Chong Wei, in the way that at first he keeps losing, then becoming better each encounter.

Justin L likes this.
  6. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Good experience for him.

7. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

Play net shot until cannot play net shot anymore, and wait for opponent clear the shuttle to smash it.

Clearly Lee Zii Jia was the king in this tournament.

#187 terrynguyen121988, Apr 30, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2022
  8. cococo

cococo Regular Member

Yea,he adapted his gameplay quite fast,can see he was playing very differently in the second set compared to the first set. Clearly quite an intelligent player,just that this time he was unable to response to LZJ's smashes. I do hope LZJ wins the final.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

9. lurker

lurker Regular Member

Hey hey hey.. it's 8-0 ok!

upload_2022-4-30_18-41-15.png

10. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

I have the right to express my opinion and what I feel. You are not the arbiter of how I am allowed to do it.

And that's your interpretation because you're so hung up on a player who won most tournaments for 2 years.

Apparently that put him above criticism...as saying anything not remotely positive gets you attacked.
    Fortunately, I could care less.

The true masters at the co controlled game that I've seen are:
    Lin Dan
    Chen Long,
    Not only they did it better, they are not as boring to watch as Momota.

Breath of fresh air? I can't see any freshness in his game.

Sorry, I don't get aroused by H2H and victories.

He is very far from displaying any sort of mental fortitude.

The only advantage he had, came from deceiving and manipulating psychologically his opponents and inducing lack of self-belief in them. Now that players aren't that afraid of losing; not that he is unable to force them in a pattern that triggers the premonition of defeat, he himself is confused. Boo hooo.

He was never that good at the physical aspect of the game either, when compared to the great MS players.

It is interesting, though not at all surprising, how much people overlook just for the sake of victory.

Viktor, most likely doesn't care. He became Olympic Champion on Japanese soil after after all.

Any criticism would've been considered uncalled-for by you and some of the other. So, it doesn't really matter.

Woesi likes this.
  11. whatAHassle

whatAHassle Regular Member

He dominated his opposition, but he wasn't superior technically, nor skill wise.
    The players who did well against him were those who didn't let themselves be disheartened, like Shi Yu Qi at the time...and also Ginting after that. (he might not be "consistent", he often gets complacent, but he doesn't get disheartened)

The number of titles per year/ record against VA or winning the WC after a ban doesn't make him great.
    VA is notorious for breaking down and disintegrating when things don't go his way. He did that too many times, so he is not a measuring stick.

If all it took was an accident, (covid and all the other reasons that you guys will find), to bring him to this level, then he was not that great after all.

He had a great ability to read his opponent (as a person - skill that great gamblers have) and finding way to bring about victory. That's the only thing I respect about him.
    In 2018 in China, he played his best game but couldn't win.
    In 2019 WTF Ginting was leading by 5 points in the 3rd game and grew complacent instead of finishing it off. Knowing him, Momota was just waiting for him to relax in order to go for it.
    Skill wise though, Ginting was the better player.

When I say he was good at bluffing, I mean: in the final in the Malaysia Masters in 2020, Axelsen couldn't even see how tired he was until he had himself given up on winning the match and started hitting clear. That's the kind of thing I am referring to. He was good at hiding his internal state and leading his opponent to believe it was something else.

He was good at winning. Not a great badminton player.

#191 whatAHassle, Apr 30, 2022
  12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Good experience from lzj. Jab why backhand. ;) he shd win this bac.

Msia md better win it this time round. Else hopeless pair.

Yama is in control. ;)

#192 extremenanopowe, Apr 30, 2022
  13. dr_strange

dr_strange Regular Member

Would you please just stop using the term Queen for PVS? She certainly doesn't deserve it. She has bad manners and certainly not enough trophies.

Jeremy73 and skhai91 like this.
  14. kurako

kurako Regular Member

Wow! They say that 'love is blind'; but so, it seems, is hatred. That was quite some rant; I hope you feel better now.

You are right; you are free to express yourself. But you need to exercise care, as you will be judged by what you say. One thing that you may consider retracting is the following comment, basically, because it reflects quite badly on you.

"If all it took was an accident to bring him to this level, then he was not that great after all."

Have you made any attempt to find out exactly how grave that accident was? Or what injuries Momota sustained? I strongly recommend that you put a little more effort into researching your opinions, before spewing out this type of venom.

trizzforce and Shamwow like this.
  15. Kingkat

Kingkat Regular Member

> ‘dominated opposition’, but also somehow isn’t better than them
    > 3 years of being number 1, 15 titles since 2018, two WC’s, not a great player though.
    >’all it took was an accident’, like it wasn’t something that nearly killed him and put him out of action for a year. Small thing though right?
    >making excuses for other world class players who got consistently wrecked by him. Saying ginting does well when he’s only won 1 out of 4 finals Vs momota.
    >good at winning but also somehow isn’t a good player.
    >apparently just faked his way into beating everyone else like it’s a comedy skit.

Sure man, your opinion. I’m sure someone will take you seriously one day.

Makkem_1, Aayoosh and Shamwow like this.
  16. Kingkat

Kingkat Regular Member

This guy is something special honestly. No doubt if he keeps on playing and improving he will be top 15 easily.

cococo likes this.
  17. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    I would rather use the word QUEEN for a WORLD CHAMPION than someone who hasnt even won a single major tittle..So for me she is a Queen and will always be one..Your opinion and personal deslike for her wont make any difference to her status as the world's Richest Female Badminton Player and the most prominent one too and her 2 Olympic Medals + 5 WC Medals..So keep your BS to yourself.

You neither worth any further responses of mine nor my attention for my time is too precious to be spent frivilously on nicompopoops

18. thiwul

thiwul Regular Member

why the new lin dan lost? he should have won

queen. lololololol

19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

This ? = " The only advantage he had, came from deceiving and manipulating psychologically his opponents and inducing lack of self-belief in them.". Shouldn't that be regarded as unqualified, even if grudging, praise for Momota if he has such an uncanny ability? I'd have thought it's something true, great winners inflict upon their defeated , driving them to desperation and resignation, with some falling into the losers mentality, if not in awe of their adversaries. At worst, it's a backhanded compliment.

Whatever, whether it's game over for Momota, in which case he mighty just call it quits, or he's biding his time and going through a renewal phase, only time will tell. I myself think it's more likely the latter, if only because Team Japan still needs him as there's no-one at the moment who can fill his shoes yet; at the same time, I feel it's a cultural thing for esprit de corps is very much a Japanese ethos , by extension a prevalent Asian value, generally speaking (let's not go into a debate on Asian versus Western values as my beliefs and understanding aren't necessarily what's commonly defined; a huge topic best avoided here).

Nevertheless, let's give credit where due; on that account, I should think there isn't much for us to disagree or argue about.

Lastly, I wouldn't count Lin Dan, Super Dan, if you know what I mean, as a controlled , rallying player unless you're referring to the post-LOG'12 Lin Dan; in Chen Long's case, I 've half a mind to agree with you, but strictly speaking, he is also a very physical player. So, in all, I still think Momota is a more complete rallying, controlled player - it's quintessential Kento Momota.

Talking about Lin Dan, as a matter of fact, he transitioned into a controlled player, deliberately, after a one-year hiatus post-LOG'12 when he opted to extend his career. And, as we now know, he was quite successful at first, capturing another, his 5th world title and 2nd Asian Games individual gold and, the rest ,as they say, is history. But, unfortunately, age was against him as he quickly went downhill soon after that (his post-AG'14 injury also contributed to it). On a personal level, I strongly felt that the 'new' Lin Dan version 2, if I may call it, is a far cry from what he was as Super Dan, nicknamed by Peter Gade - nay, the two versions are polar opposites, it suffices to say. Cheers.

20. dr_strange

dr_strange Regular Member

You're so funny. You've got a right to brand her as queen but why there's a need to tell that she's a queen every time you mention her?

Jeremy73 likes this.