2022 TotalEnergies BWF THOMAS-UBER Cup Finals : Group Stage Match (08-11 May)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 7, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

After this competition there can be a highlight about all the slips, it’s probably an hour video.

anyways I hope all the players don’t get injured so worried when I see them slipping unnecessarily

decoy, Anks and Gigabit like this.
  2. cococo

cococo Regular Member

I dont understand why Korea split Seo Seungjae and Choi Solgyu. Their two new younger partners should pair together and grow together. Seo Seungjae and Choi Solgyu were once able to beat Hoki/Kobayashi at the last Thomas Cup.

Now Chia/Soh went off form, and Kevin/Marcus hardly play. New Chinese MD players aren't that good either and they have shown they have the capability to beat the Japanese MDs. If they stuck together maybe they would have been at the top. Now the new Korean MD combination is struggling to beat Singapore.

Sent from my SM-A307GN using Tapatalk

3. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Personally i don't like this new KOR MD pairing. IMO i don't think they are moving well as a pair on court. Seems like they are rushing for the same ball; Don't seem to have good chemistry / understanding too

While the SG pair played well in this game, but tbh they are not a strong pair. For KOR MD (who is a traditional MD powerhouse) to be struggling against the SG pair, it doesn't bode well for them....

Sent from my Mi Note 10 Pro using Tapatalk

cococo likes this.
  4. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

Its juz weird when they obviously have a much better pair and they split them up for no reason

5. nizze

nizze Regular Member

Agree. Perhaps experimenting new pairings?

We won't know for sure but IMO KOR MD is going downhill from the heydays of lyd/yyd, sbc/ksh.....

6. Naughty Dog

Naughty Dog Regular Member

Another player slipped on the court. Jason Teh from Singapore slipped twice this match… both his ankles…

Anks and Thebestbees like this.
  7. Thebestbees

Thebestbees Regular Member

Jason Teh from Singapore slipped and injured his ankle…

8. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

True but sbc/ksh and lyd are still playing, that need to be more active to be competitive again though. Anyhow their best shot right now csg/ssj, and splitting them up means they dun have a top pair anymore. If you look at the new pairing, its literally all depending on ssj.

nizze likes this.
  9. trizzforce

trizzforce Regular Member

SSJ is Korea's Yuta Watanabe. Their men's double (regardless of pairing) rely on his form to produce results. He's also the best player they currently have in the doubles department, which is kind of sad if you think about it. There is no depth in the team at all.

nizze, Gigabit, Justafan90 and 2 others like this.
  10. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Victor mats are slippery!

Gigabit likes this.
  11. Phanou

Phanou Regular Member

So, what do we think about the Kevin/Maulana pairing?

12. ojayz

ojayz Regular Member

Academic
    I think it’s more of an experiment for INA’s team… in the match today we can see that they’re not showing their 100% full skill-power yet, and can beat Thai’s young pair without much difficulty. It will be interesting once INA meet a strong/stronger opponent, if Herry IP dare to bring Bagas/Kevin again…

But I think Bagas has bit more power and angle on his smash (compared to Gideon)… But in terms of consistency, we’ll see if he can be more consistent than Gideon.

(I don’t know, I feel like INA should have brought Pramudya/Yeremia and Chico as well for Thomas Cup for a stronger full-team… but of course SEA games nearby should be a consideration as well, thus splitting the squad for those two tournaments)

13. sen

sen Regular Member

His high ranking is a blessing right now. It is hard to get point in MS1, especially if facing Denmark so just let Ginting play. Sometimes in the future, he will be better again.
    Meanwhile the younger players need to improve first and get more match with high ranking players

14. sen

sen Regular Member

It would be interesting if one of the young player playing against Korea MS3

For the doubles, should be interesting to see if they will pair Kevin with either Fajar or Rian and Bagas/Fikri playing against Korea. Bagas/Fikri have not had much match-up with Korean doubles yet

15. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

so marin will play today

16. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Chico is not in the Thomas cup team. If JC is slotted to 1st MS, an unknown MS4, Sulistio Tegar, will move up to play MS3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Team INA and KOR progress to the QF from Group A. KOR did so after a tough 3-2 victory over SIN. They nearly lost in MD1 as Terry Hee/Loh Kean Hean force Kang Min Hyuk/Seo Seung Jae to 3-sets. The Korean pair narrowly won 21-19 in the rubber-set.

Not much problem for INA, except for MS1 and MD1 where Kunlavut Vitidsarn beat the off-form Anthony Sinisuka Ginting and Mohd Ahsan/Hendra Setiawan conceded to the unknown THA pair in the tightly contested second-set 26-28, before taking the rubber-set easily 21-12.

Jonathan Christie beat Kantaphon Wangchaoren in straight-sets 22-20, 21-16; and the scratch pairing of Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo/Bagas Maulana beat a junior pair 24-22, 21-11. The INA pair was leading 18-11 in the first set, before they toyed around for a bit and suddenly the THA pair caught up. The junior pair even had 1 game point at 21-20. Alas, they were too inexperienced to handle the situation and lost 22-24.

Finally, Shesar Hiren Rhustavito continues to be dependable in team events as he beat Sitthikom Thammasin 21-19, 21-14.

Against KOR, INA will field its usual 3 singles and hopes to secure at least 2 pts from MS2 and MS3. They may even win in MS1 if Anthony Ginting plays to his ranking against the similarly off-form Heo Kwang Hee who has only won 2 matches in 2022 (against Kalle Koljonen and Lee Chiuk Yiu).

It is the doubles that are tricky. No INA pairs has beaten the current MD1 Kang Min Hyuk/Seo Seung Jae and I think Coach Herry IP will mix things a bit. He will likely field Fajar Alfian/Mohd Rian Ardianto in MD2 to secure the point and play Mohd Ahsan/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo as MD1, whose notational ranking is still above that of Fajar/Rian. Alternatively, he can field the combination against THA.

18. Habisin-Habisin

Habisin-Habisin Regular Member

I mean for the next team competition

19. badMania

badMania Regular Member

For the Uber Cup match to decide who will accompany JPN from Group A, Team INA has to win two singles and at least one of the doubles.

Yvonne Li (WR25) should take WS1 and WD1 can go to GER too as they have the more experienced Linda Efler. I am surprised she is not fielded with her usual partner (Isabel Lohau). They just recently won the Bronze in the European Championships 2022, beating 2 seeded DEN pairs. Yet, Ayu Komang Cahya Dewi (WR203) surprised as she beat the much higher ranked Qi Xuefei (WR43) in her first match. Similarly, Febriana Dwipuji Kusuma/Amalia Cahya Pratiwi (WR104) can spring an upset too as they did to the French pair (WR68) on Sunday.

Aisyah Sativa Fatetani and Nita Violina Marwah/Lanny Tria Mayasari are expected to win their respective matches, before two 19 year olds, Bilqis Prasista and Florentine Schoffski round up the tie in a decider, should the score goes 2-2.

20. nizze

nizze Regular Member

No breadth either, i would say

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.