2022 TotalEnergies BWF THOMAS-UBER Cup Finals : The Knockout Phase (12-15 May)

Discussion in '2022 Tournaments' started by CLELY, May 11, 2022.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    It's only human but they are also professional and should act as so, and they are the de facto voice of badminton, whether we like it or not.

Anks likes this.
  2. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    What I love about Miss Gill's commentary is that she never forgets to mention the World Championships Medals and Olympic Medals in her commentary.

I liked how she said "Battle of WC Silver Medalists" in SK and AA game.

I love when my most favourite tournaments and Badminton's most prestigious events on the planet get their due recognition and thats why I love Miss Gill's commentary.

stanleyfm likes this.
  3. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    It's hard to imagine waching badminton without Gill Clark

Anks and Baddie lover like this.
  4. Quentin11

Quentin11 Regular Member

First one

5. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Since Kevin & Ahsan each has higher ranking with their respective partners than Alvian/Ardianto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

"OH my God, what a rally"
    "CAN you believe it"
    "HOW did he manage to pull that back"

"Lakshya Sen ( insert xyz name) hailing from Almora (insert xyz place) at the foot of the mighty Himalayas"

"Fun fact either to Steen or Morten or to viewers"

Her infectious laugh, her grandma type vibes. She always makes it a comfortable zone to watch badminton. I can't think of badminton without her.

oldtaby, Aayoosh, Anks and 1 other person like this.
  7. Justafan90

Justafan90 Regular Member

I lowkey wanted momota vs sen final but oh well

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think this is okay. I like it when he explains more. It’s a shame we don’t have more commentators from other countries who are ex national players and fluent in English. Not all are suited for commenting - however, it is a job you gradually improve in as time goes on. There are some excellent Cantonese commentators.

arjevo, nilesh123, nizze and 2 others like this.
  9. SnowWhite

SnowWhite Regular Member

I like the genuine enthusiasm in Gills commentary. I was watching the 2 matches simultaneously, and switched the sound to whichever match I found more interesting in the moment. It seems like the commentator on the other match was constantly trying to sensationalise anything and everything. Every smash was the best smash ever, even if it was a run of the mill smash and the defender just messed up. Everything was hyped up. Or it's just describing what is happening without any insights to add, simply to fill the silence. She talked in a voice you just know can't be her everyday speaking voice. There is something forced about it.

When listening to Gill, sometimes, even during fast paced mens doubles play, she will just be chatting with her co commentator about whatever, but as soon as someone plays an unusual shot or does something impressive, they are right back to the game. Sometimes, they know to keep quiet when it's approaching the end of a match and everything is very tense, only talking in between rallies. If there is nothing to add or enthusiasm to be shared, it perfectly fine to not say anything.

Sure Gill indulges in exaggeration (surely she should believe 'it' by now;)), but she is still selective with it. If every shot is 'the best shot ever', then what is the commentary for? If a commentator is constantly trying to hype me up, even if what is happening is pretty standard for the pros, then it just tires me out, dampens my mood and makes it harder to enjoy the game.

oldtaby, Cheung, stanleyfm and 7 others like this.
  10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yeah the commentator for INA vs JPN is pretty Nasty , everything ks glorified lol.

but she commentates alone instead of with someone so it could be different too.

Cheung, stanleyfm and Anks like this.
  11. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I dont think India can beat INA from the 3 singles. Unless its LCW vs Tommy Sugiarto style (70-30 or 80-20) , anything can happen in Singles. Thats why they need to mix and match for the MD.

And Prannoy dont think can beat Rhustavito.

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I couldn't stand her and decided not to watch. No substance, only reporting.

#892 nokh88, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
    stanleyfm, kwun and evilster like this.
  13. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Team INA has a chance to retain the Thomas Cup after a 3-2 victory over JPN in a 6-hrs gruelling contest starting at 7PM (SG Time) and ending like at around 1AM.

Credits go to Anthony Sinisuka Ginting (bouncing back after 3 straight defeats) to beat Kento Momota in 3-sets: 21-13, 14-21, 21-12 in the longest match yesterday, lasting 81 mins. Can he do the same against Lakhya Sen in the first match on Sunday? INA fans will be hopeful of that as his victory will be a morale booster for the remaining matches, like what he did yesterday!

I feel Herry IP will still retain Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo/Mohammad Ahsan as MD1 as Kevin has a good record against Satwiksairaj Rankireddy/Chirag Shetty. Yesterday's match against Takuro Hoki/Yugo Kobayashi was a heart-stopper, especially at the ending stage (which I missed because I need to attend to a personal matter at 16-11, thinking that it's all done deal). The INA pair nailed the match 22-20, 8-21, 24-22. This too despite trailing 7-11 in the first-set. The collapse by the JPN pair was beyond belief!

With a 2-0 lead, I thought Jonathan Christie would wrap it up but the match against Kenta Nishimoto was very tight and Jojo nearly took the first set, having a game point at 20-19, only for Nishimoto to save it and win 3 pts in a row to take the first set 22-20! The second-set was a non-event as the Japanese took it comfortably 21-13. Despite losing yesterday, I still think he stands a good chance against K. Srikanth whom he has beaten twice this year in the Swiss & Korean Open 2022.

The most interesting match of the night was MD2 between Fajar Alfian/Mohd Rian Ardianto and Akira Koga/Yuta Watanabe. Watanabe must be a jinx to Herry IP's pairs because his defense is just so formidable and it's very difficult to kill any pairing with the nimble Japanese in it. Fajar/Alfian experienced that yesterday throughout the 3-sets, even though they took the second-set comfortably 21-13. They seemed to be cruising too, playing well at least till the interval of the rubber-set, leading 11-8. It was at this pt that the JPN pair rose to the challenge. With errors from the INA pair and Yuta in magnificent form, the JPN pair won 5 pts in a row to make it 13-11. It was neck-to-neck from this stage onwards until it reaches 16-16. Since then, the JPN pair was more clinical and made less errors and they took the match 21-18! Expect Fajar/Rian to be fielded again tomorrow against IND's 2nd pair.

The decider match between Shesar Hiren Rhustavito and Kodai Naraoka was a non-event too as Vito won in straight-sets in the shortest match among the 5 matches. He is Mr. Dependable in the Team Events and has won all 4 matches so far, 1 better than last year's 3 matches. If he is fielded on Sunday, he could just win the Thomas Cup for Indonesia for the second time in 8 months!

14. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

India creates historic final to stun more fancied Denmark, 3-2 in terrific and enthralling atmosphere.
    2016 winner Denmark leads earlier as expected through reigning Olympic Champion Axelsen who controlled the under-pressure Lakshya Sen, no chance for the young Indian to play his game as his tall opponent dictated pace throughout the match with similar pattern that forced him to lift shuttlecock then punished by deadly smash. Rankireedy/Shetty nearly did blunder when they blew away match points in second and third game, luckily the flick serve becames trump card to end this match. Srikanth outlasted the inconsistent and vulnerable world #3 Antonsen made India team 2-1 ahead. Scratch combination Rasmussen/Sogaard once again keep DEN chance on track to power past Indian second doubles pair. The thrilling part coming in last match, Prannoy had tough start when he fell and twisted his ankle which provides worrying sign for Indian camp but his impressive determination killed the pain as the show must go on, the valiant Indian was unfazed after dropped first set, choosing fully focus to outmaneuver Gemke convincingly in next two games.

India will be tricky test for defending champion Indonesia particularly singles department though the latter is strongest contender but nothing is impossible in team competition when mental aspect playing bigger role than any other elements.

UBER CUP
    Japan succumbed to pressure, the bad omen initiated by first singles, the World Champion Yamaguchi leading all the way in second and third game but she couldn't fine execution line at the end, An SY who very familiar opponent knew her chance is on and capitalise the Japanese nervous shots and giving crucial victory for her team as morale booster. All England champions Matsuyama/Shida also can't expel big pressure facing the highly motivated Lee/Shin and lost in two quick games. Then Kim GE performed beyond expectation to shock Okuhara even though two-time World Champion trying to regroup in second game and had healthy lead 11-4 in final game, after interval game the dramatic turnaround happened, Kim produced magical comeback to display excellent feat including the last point when her defense shot surprised the dejected Okuhara.

Meanwhile the mighty China blanked home team and took sweet revenge over their painful defeat four years ago in same venue. Intanon was helpless to meet steady nemesis Chen YF also Chochuwong can't endure He BJ powerful shots, only Kititharakul/Prajongjai stretch the Chinese to paly extra game, had good start but waned in next circumstances. China will take on long-time foe Korea as last obstacle to defend the trophy, both teams had met eight times in Uber Cup final prior today's duel (1988, 1990, 1992, 2002, 2004, 2010, 2012, 2016)

CHN-KOR saga in Uber Cup Final (01.00pm)
    upload_2022-5-14_9-18-5.png
    China is still favorite considering their depth and more balanced team but never rules out the Korean as the Ginseng team had shocked giant China in Kuala Lumpur 2010.

Cheung, stanleyfm, Sundis and 6 others like this.
  15. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    For me it’s “Here’s Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia” Idk how many times I heard it.

Woesi, stanleyfm and Baddie lover like this.
  16. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

Great summary.
    I think you meant two time World Championship Finalist when you mentioned Okuhara.

Anks likes this.
  17. wade

wade Regular Member

I believe ahsan/kevin lost to chirag/rankireddy in BATC 3 or 4 years ago

Anks likes this.
  18. Anks

Anks Regular Member

Poet,Student,Fighter,Thriver
    Miss Nozomi Okuhara is an Olympic Bronze Medalist ,2017 World Champion and 2019 WC I Silver Medalist

19. terrynguyen121988

terrynguyen121988 Regular Member

India didn't bring Sai Praneeth to the team this time, I don't know why ?

The squad still have slot and Sai was a good player.

I don't know that Prannoy can play the final match or not.

#899 terrynguyen121988, May 13, 2022
    Last edited: May 13, 2022
  20. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

Sai has not been in form since 2019. I think Sameer Verma would have been good choice, but I think he is injured.
    There was also a selection trial where Rajawat qualified as the 4th MS for the Indian squad.

Anks and terrynguyen121988 like this.