India Badminton

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by limsy, Dec 13, 2009.

1. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

They wanted to play as much tournament as possible to get reflected in the new ranking list when it is unfreezed.

Airos and Cheung like this.
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    1998 Thomas cup final. Ina played China. First singles. Hariyanto Arbi against Sun Jun. Arbi had a lot of strapping on his thigh. I had watched the previous round and noticed he wasn’t moving as freely as usual with the strapping. Sun Jun was in great form that year. Ina doubles were far and away better than all other pairs in the world. By fielding Arbi in first singles, Ina gave up the first singles and were banking on taking the second or third singles. If Arbi had not played, the Ina singles all have to move up to and Ina would have had it much harder to win. If I remember correctly, hendrawan beat Luo Yigang in that second singles. Hendrawan was on great form but doubtful he could beat Sun Jun if moved up to first singles.

In this years TC, having LS not in optimal form from food poisoning and not withdrawing him was a really important tactical decision. It meant KS and Prannoy played 2nd and 3rd singles respectively. If they had moved up, a less experienced Indian 3rd singles might not made that crucial win. Good tactical call by the Indian team that brought them the title even with an ill top player. Fortunately, LS had an extra day for recovery from Friday to Sunday.

yeah, it was a lucky but you make your luck as well. Well done to India.

#4802 Cheung, May 16, 2022
    Last edited: May 16, 2022
    Airos, arjevo, Baddie lover and 3 others like this.
  3. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Airos, Cheung, Anks and 1 other person like this.
  4. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

BAI made some good decisions in it's executive meeting on Sunday.

1.Increase the talent pool of upcoming players across India. (Particularly players not part of the core group of 60 players.)
    2.BAI to pay salary to the best 30 local Indian coaches from former players to existing local coaches and distribute them across small training centers all over India. These coaches would also be taken to Gopichand Academy and Prakash Padukone Academy for best practices.
    3.Host 2 low level International challenger tournaments in India. Requires BWF approval.
    4.Develop more high quality coaches with a special program hosted in Bangalore and Hyderabad.

https://www.newindianexpress.com/sp...tal-bai-general-secretary-mishra-2454476.html

5. ong huigen

ong huigen Regular Member

I was just looking at the Thai Open draw.

Isn't
    Manu Attri (IND)/B. Sumeeth Reddy (IND)
    More established then the current 2nd MD for India?

6. Sumanth99

Sumanth99 Regular Member

Software Engineer
    What is the grade of TC, I can only see small bump in ranking points 1k to 2k for Indian players.

7. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

They finished No.4 in the selection trials. They lost to the pairs which came here. Only players in the top 15 were exempted from the trials.

8. Baddyforall

Just watched Rajawat vs Li shifeng.
    Rajawat lost in 3 games after saving 4 match points in 2nd game . But the chinese definitely has some problem. So much delaying tactics. Whenever Rajawat equalise score, he has a tendency to take a break by asking to tie shoe laces, medical break etc. Those who does this kind of delaying tactics will never survive in the long run . I mean if you believe these practices to win a game, then you are not a player. Not only him, another chinese player who played srikanth did the same.

badmuse, mohans, Anks and 1 other person like this.
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

They had a meeting on Sunday??? That’s very…umm… efficient. :)

Good initiatives. A basic salary for coaches is wonderful.

Airos and badmuse like this.
  10. Baddyforall

Kiran, Dey , Rajawat everybody lost in qualification round

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Even the BBC news writes about India badminton. That’s so rare. They never write about China or Indonesian badminton :D

Unfortunately they missed out in the article that India does have a world championship winner. The team effort and lack of personal agendas are again emphasised.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-61461987

badmuse, Anks and Baddie lover like this.
  12. Baddie lover

Baddie lover Regular Member

Taken from the above BBC article:

"I've never been a part of such a team in my career," Prannoy told the BBC. "Week after week, when you're playing for yourself, it's sometimes tough to suddenly think as a group or let go of personal ambitions.

"Srikanth and I decided early on to hold team meetings of our own with the players where everyone gets to speak," he explained. "There were quite a few quiet players in the side and in a team event made up of individual sport players, egos can quickly fester. It's happened in the past.

"There are no ranking points to be won, no prize money, it's just your hunger for the title. It's what everyone wanted, and that fire drove us," Prannoy said.

"I held that trophy in my hands just to tell myself it's actually happened. If you ask me, I would place this win above every Olympic and All England title we've won. Simply because we won this as a team through collective effort and belief," Vimal said.

This week the female players, led by Sindhu, turned up in the stands for the men's matches. The women's team had lost in the quarterfinals of their respective team event - the Uber Cup - and most of them had been set to fly out of Bangkok soon after.

But they had their tickets rescheduled by the Badminton Association of India so they could cheer for the men's team and combat the noise of the rhythmic chants and balloon clappers of the Indonesian fans.

"We wanted their support, we wanted them to stay back and they did," Prannoy said.

"This is a huge moment for Indian badminton. It's not just about one or two of the players. As a nation, we've marked ourselves as the best in the world. We've never done it before in the sport. There's beauty because this gold medal and everything it signifies and goes onto create, belongs to all of us."

Airos and badmuse like this.
  13. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

Rajawat lost to LSF but after beating Christo. He could be one to watch , but still too early to say. India needs a second wave of MS as prannoy and srikanth are both 30.

Anks likes this.
  14. badmuse

badmuse Regular Member

Unnati played her first WD match outside India at the Thailand 500 Open. They lost to a Brazilian pair 18-21, 15-21.
    Not bad for playing a tournament above her level. Unnati plays her first singles match as a qualifier at the Austrian International Series.
    17 Indian WS players are registered for this tournament! Indian players are going to be knocking each other out.

15. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I still don’t understand how ranking points are calculated for team tournaments. VA earned whooping 12k points after all win record here in Bangkok, however KM as well earned around 12k points after his underwhelming display.

What I heard before in the forum is- in team tournaments, if you win a higher ranked player, you get more points. But I don’t see SK gaining much points even though he won 2 players ranked higher than him. May be because he played MS2. I don’t know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Baddyforall

No ranking points for Thomas cup

17. Airos

Airos Regular Member

India winning the TC, though somewhat unexpected, was certainly not a miracle.
    We have 4 players of MS in top 25 and 1 pair of MD in top 10.

I predict that Thailand will soon win an UC or at least reach another final. They have 4 WS in top 25, 1 WD in top 10 and yet another WD in top 20. So they have good chance of winning an UC(or at least reaching another finals) before Ratchanok Intanon retires.

18. mohans

mohans Regular Member

Is it so? I do see ranking points added in the bwf rankings webpage

arjevo likes this.
  19. ChildrenOfBadminton

ChildrenOfBadminton Regular Member

ranking points for TUC :
    existing total points of the player / 10 + Total points of the best player they defeated/100 (Antonsen in kidambis case)

20. mohans

mohans Regular Member

I see. That was helpful. Thank you