Yonex Comfort Z 3

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by DinB, May 24, 2022.

1. DinB

DinB Regular Member

Attached Files:

2. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Ah, was wondering what it was that Ardianto was wearing at Thailand Open but couldn't find anything on it.

Definitely looking forward to these. I was turned off by the weight, but if they are close enough to the 65z, I'll give them a try

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

3. justforfun

justforfun Regular Member

The new redesigned outsole pattern is a mess though. It's grip is nowhere near as good as the previous generation despite Yonex claims of 'improved grip'.

4. mew1838

mew1838 Regular Member

Here's my review of the new Comfort Z:

Previous shoes: Victor A930ii, YY 65z2

Sizing: consistent with my previous shoes. I'm 275cm in all of the above shoes.

Fit: width is wider than the 65z2 but narrower than the A930. These shoes wrap the feet the best because of the bootie design. I also noticed there is some material protruding in the outside heel area to help with heel locking. The tongue although is integrated into the shoes feels just like a traditional one that consistently stays in place, if that makes sense.

Cushioning: Here's the part everyone's waiting for. I love the feeling of 65z2 and it allows me to have quick footwork. However, I play on a hard court and the lack of cushioning really punishes the knees and shins. I switched to the A930 which has superior cushioning because of this. From a pure cushioning perspective, the comfort z is between those 2 shoes. However...

Repulsion: repulsion and cushioning are often opposite attributes. Harder shoes are more responsive while heavily cushioned ones can make you feel sluggish. This is my main issue with the A930. There is almost no rebound effect to make your footwork flow from one step to the next because all the force is absorbed into the cushioning material. My search for a well cushioned pair with good repulsion continues.

The Comfort Z is REVOLUTIONARY in it's repulsion. I've always thought that if Yonex is less stingy with the amount of power cushion in their shoes, that will fix most of their problems. Well, the Comfort Z has more than the 65z3 which is known to have poor cushioning. But...the new midsole material adds so much repulsion that footwork is now effortless. The best way I could describe it is like Adidas's Bounce midsole which is super responsive as well. You will literally bounce in these shoes.

Weight: A930 is heavy, I find the 65z2 light. This is between those 2 but feels less heavy than the Victor in actual usage.

Grip: best among the 3 shoe. I have twisted my ankles 2x with the old YY pattern. This new one is much improved.

Build quality: this is one area where Yonex usually falls significantly behind Victor. The 65z series has pretty crap build quality and finishing. These are much improved but I would have to say the Victor is still ahead.

Conclusion: Best shoes ever, nothing comes close.

#4 mew1838, Jul 1, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
  5. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

What's the weight of it? Based on your review, it seems I might end up getting these

6. mew1838

mew1838 Regular Member

Don't think of it as an aerus. It's probably a little heavier than the 65z3 but it's the way it feels that makes it light

7. DinB

DinB Regular Member

I just realized that the white color way is for women and I just can't take the black one :(. I guess I'll have to wait for them to release new colors who knows when. I'm not for about the first generation, but I remember the comfort z 2 having 4 different colors at least.

Attached Files:

8. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

It's either women sizes or wide version for the white. While normally I like black clothing, when it comes to these shoes, I really do not like the black. It'll be a bit until I get new shoes so I'll wait and hope for new colours. Otherwise I'll just suck it up and get the black.

9. lurker

lurker Regular Member

really? Momota was wearing the white version

[​IMG]

10. lurker

lurker Regular Member

maybe he just has tiny feet?

11. mew1838

mew1838 Regular Member

Ever thought Momota could get any color made for him?

yenyesoh likes this.
  12. MusclePower100

MusclePower100 Regular Member

In Japan version is wide and mid fit and unisex. Outside of Japan they are the female versions

esppy, SomeoneElse and yenyesoh like this.
  13. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Yup which is problematic. I have no trouble buying from the jp market, but unfortunately wide fit is too wide for me. The mid ankle is only available in white as well.

14. Casperwinde

Casperwinde Regular Member

Student
    The white one looks really great. Sad case we cant get the wide ver outside of japan

15. Rommel Alastra

Rommel Alastra Regular Member

no wide version for this?

16. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Wide version available from japan

17. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    Was in need of new shoes so bought the comfort Z3 and the black Z3 to try both and see which I preferred. Found the Comfort to be a bit stiff and a bit "clompy". Ironically, I found the Z3 to be more comfortable and more agile.

SomeoneElse, Schultzier and SinggihSW like this.
  18. Arisuin

Arisuin Regular Member

Since many other series have been getting colour refreshes, eclipsion, 65z, and 88 dial, there's a possibility that the comfort series will also receive other colours in the (near/distant?) future

19. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer
    So any updates on this comfort z3? I'm in need of a need pair of shoes and I'm coming from a 65z2. Is the comfort z3 better than the 65z3? Or are Victor shoes all in all better?

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

20. kevindd992002

kevindd992002 Regular Member

Engineer