BWF video camera angle

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by strongline, Dec 8, 2022.

1. strongline

strongline Regular Member

Why BWF so stubbornly insist using over the head angle? I once read somewhere that it's good for advertisement boards' visibility, but I don't buy that BS. An eye level camera, or a slightly higher than eye level can still adequately show the ads, and give fans much better watching experience at the same time.

It's not that they don't know eye level is better. Many of their videos use eye level snapshots as thumbprint cover. It's so frustrating.

ralphz, speCulatius and Cheung like this.
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

The answer are simply

Its already be like that for century, so why change it. People hate to change their habit or behavior. People fear change. This also what i face when trying to implement technology on the company. Need some young brave to makes a breakthrough & shows if it was better.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I suspect it’s mainly due to the design of sports venues. That angle is suitable for other sports and the platform and wiring for the cameras and equipment are built at a certain height.

Theres a case for re positioning the camera to a lower level. You could build a platform at the end of the court or swing a camera across but maybe that actually stops the live audience from getting a good view.

4. strongline

To be honest, we are better off with a footage by a goPro on tripod from audience. Who cares the "professional" recordings that are pre-wired on ceiling.... plus, how difficult it is to set up a camera at 2nd or 3rd row of benches where it won't block too much view. I think BWF is just being indifference

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

There’s a difference between the cameras for TV viewing and those that stream on the internet. And yes, you are right, you can’t just set a TV camera on benches.

6. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

BWF does have cameras right at the court. However, they seem to think that the best angle to analyze the match is also the best angle to broadcast it.

Other sports have learned that that is not the case. My favorite example for this is American Football and the NFL. They constantly try new angles. Last season they introduced cameras on the field (after scoring pays - in natural breaks). This is done in a (relatively) cheap and easy to set up way using the direct stream of Sony Alphy IVs. This year, one of the broadcasts offers an angle similar to a video game. They let the viewer choose which angle they want. None of the angles given is hood for analyzing the game. If you want that, you need to pay extra (and wait a few days) for the "all 22" angle (showing all 22 players on the field) to be published. Not everybody wants to analyze, especially new viewers.

BWF has adapted streaming tournaments fairly early. They didn't change anything since. They do not utilize the options that would be given now (letting the individual chose which angles they want). Combined with the assumption that the analyzing-angle is the best for all, you get a very mediocre product.

BWF needs to understand what kind of product they're selling at the moment. Then they need to decide if that's what they want.
    I love badminton. I do not watch professional tournaments for entertainment, because I can't. I always end up analyzing, even when I don't want to. That's what a coach does. That's what you can do with the angle they stream.
    Badminton is an explosive sport producing great highlights. The product you can watch online doesn't show that. BWF could also take some ideas from the NFL on how to deal with the natural breaks within a match.

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem like they want to change anything, though.

Not necessarily. See above.

Cheung likes this.
  7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

8. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I am aware of that. I gave an example where a very different setup is used for another sports product that is watched by many millions each week. I'm not saying Badminton should just copy that approach. Understanding benefits and limitations of different solution and not being afraid to try something different doesn't seem to be what BWF is good at. Is there people calling it unprofessional to have not the exact same color grade like the other cameras, to only spend 10000USD on one camera setup and not thirty times as much? For sure, but it's a unusual solution with limitations, but the big plus of having a portable camera, capturing emotions, giving the viewer the illusion of being more involved by creating proximity.
    If the available space is a limiting factor for the camera, there may be other solutions than the traditional broadcast camera.

9. strongline

I couldn't care less what "professional" equipment BWF uses, it doesn't change the fact that the final video is crap. If they want, I am sure they can broadcast off a GoPro - it's all just signal transferring from one device to another. It's not what can be changed, it's if they want to change

ralphz likes this.
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I agree it’s about the end product.

You obviously feel very strongly about it and should contact BWF directly as well about the issue.

https://corporate.bwfbadminton.com/about/office/

I would be curious if they give you an answer on any plans on improving the viewer experience. Better viewer experience leads to better numbers and easier sponsorship.

BWF should be commissioning the tournament organiser. It’s doubtful that they directly handle equipment.

#10 Cheung, Dec 12, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  11. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

For me main thing for analysing or viewing is a stable camera that doesn't just zoom in on one player during the match or change angles mid rally.

BWF are rubbish..

They also have been known to block any other YouTube channels from using any clip from any of their game footage. So any badminton enthusiast YouTube channel looking to analyse shots or make a video tutorial, from a game only filmed by BWF, has problems from BWF.

For me viewing for analysis can be a similar video angle to enjoyable viewing but BWF provides neither. If I want to enjoy watching a game or analyse I prefer to watch video produced elsewhere.

I appreciate the YouTube channels that clip the parts that are between rallies.

A guy called Jonathan the guy that makes some good stuff but spams email boxes, made a good video criticising BWF for some things. They still haven't changed and have only gotten worse in that they block other channels from using clips from their games they record.

#11 ralphz, Dec 14, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  12. strongline

Two channels offer very good videos, BadmintonUniverse, though it was updated for years now
    Badminton Ham