What is it about BG80

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by AdamMorin, Dec 24, 2022.

1. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

That makes it so popular. For fun I have been watching CKs latest videos on pro player rackets/tensions and I would say 50-60% of pro players all use BG80.

It's been around forever. It's a string I used on a demo racket years ago but never paid attention. What is it about BG80 that is so unique or wanted? There are other strings that "rank" higher in every facet by comparison. Yet everyone prefers the old school string.

Thoughts?

Cheung likes this.
  2. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Its hard feel so the feedback are solid.
    Its not repulsive string so its control are superior from any other racket.
    Tho its more tiring to play with due to less repulsive but we are talking pros player here, their physical are way above average human.

3. Js11

Js11 New Member

Also to add bg80 is very rough which is not a very common property for a string.
    Especially for the days before aerobite (sticky rubbery texture rather than rough) came into the scene bg80 was probably the go to option for players who wanted to avoid slippery strings.

4. Kuantrz

Kuantrz Regular Member

It is what is available in most places. If you practice and played your whole life with one string and you like it, why change?

Before I started stringing myself the only options I had was 65TI BG80 and 66ultimax.

Yonex stringers seams to try to make the players try the new stuff to make it more marketable. Maybe we will see a change in the coming 5 years.

5. Budi

Budi Regular Member

Nah... BG80 had been here for quite a while & none could surpass it in term of feel & control.

Today new string are kinda all repulsion string. & In any way 11/10 repulsion are funny. What next? 20/10? You could do clear even just touch it a very bit? Maybe if the court length are doubeled it would be fun with that.

Im more about how the current lineup could stay lively for longer periode & durable while keeping the current lineup characteristic.

6. Kwarevo

Kwarevo Regular Member

Many pro players use BG 80 and BG 65 Ti.
    For 65ti for sure durability, but 80 durability is so bad.
    Both have hard feeling.
    IMO BG 80 is like alien in strings competition, but I still want to try bunch of strings

7. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

I've never used BG65TI. It's hard like BG80 but more durable?

I remember enjoying playing the net with BG80, but that's about it. It's very blurry.

8. Kuantrz

Kuantrz Regular Member

65TI is much softer than BG80 and very durable. I have not played regular BG65 os so long but I think its closer to that than BG80.

9. Khamenman

Khamenman Regular Member

I think the top 2 strings that pro players use are BG80 and BG66 Ultimax

10. s6edge

s6edge Regular Member

For you, which new string is more repulsive and durable than bg80?

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    https://www.yonex.com/bg80

I have Aerobite boost in my racquet after using BG80.

When it first came out, I thought Aerobite boost was a bit of a gimmick. When I actually tried it out, I found it a little softer than BG80 at my usual tension.

Overall, I don’t think there is much difference to my play except for netshots. My netshots in doubles are amazing. Of course I practice netshots but in games, I have playing some great netshots.

Durability wise it’s better than I expected.

Why do the pros stick to BG80? Practice wise, I think quite a lot will use BG65 because it’s more durable. It’s a pain to keep stringing your own racquets frequently. When it comes to tournaments they will change to BG80 for a couple of reasons: most importantly, there is a tournament stringer, secondly BG80 feel is quite similar to BG65 except slightly thinner and more responsive which makes it quite a good choice at tournaments.

If pros have been using BG65/BG80 and used to the durability, they are going to be a bit conservative, especially if stringing is needed more frequently with other strings.

BadmintonDave likes this.
  12. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

LiNing #1. Hands down.

At least in my experience. But definitely more "slippery" than BG80.