US Open 2007

Discussion in 'US Open 2007' started by kwun, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    No, they will win all 5. Look at the recent level of US Open, both Chen Hong and Zhou Mi will win the MD and WD also just from picking anyone from the street as their partner. :D

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i agree. if she can play the Miami Pan Am, OCBC is even closer. and it provides better prize money also. it is a good strategy for Zhou Mi, she can easily win these smaller tournaments like NZ and US, the prize money will cover her expenses and with quite a bit left to make pretty good living. better keep that on while she is still fit.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

It sounds a bit desperate, but if that were to happen..

..then i would expect to see a packed full-house & wall to wall attendance during the tourney:cool:..And if the Russian team were to come, again, maybe they'll get a run for their money:p..Maybe we'll even see Master NGP sighting in the stands..;):D:cool:

#23 ctjcad, May 23, 2007
    Last edited: May 23, 2007
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it will certainly attract more players as the prize money went from 1* (US$30,000) to a GP/2* event (US$50,000). but as i mention, the geographical location as well as timing doesn't work out as well so i doubt too many players from the larger badminton powerhouses will come.

5. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Judging by the score, and from what I heard from spectators at the Pan Am championships...

I wonder if Bob Malaythong & Howard Bach, wouldn't mind a rematch against Will Milroy & Mike Beres :D:D:D

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

But...

..isn't Zhou Mi playing for & representing HK now??..HK is "technically" not CHN(large badminton powerhouse), right??..;):):cool:
    As for Chen Hong, well, he's "technically" not playing for the national team, although still playing under CHN, so that means he's free to do whatever he wants...:p:D;)

#26 ctjcad, May 23, 2007
  7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

A bit off topic-Actually..

..they'll have another rematch as soon in abt 2+ weeks in the upcoming Sudirman Cup(they're in the same group)...But now, they'll be playing in a neutral ground..;):cool:

8. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    sure doesn't explain taufik's loss in IO2007 right? :p:rolleyes:

but would love to see a rematch none the less, hopefully the American pair can pull off a win :D
    Nothing like a Canadian & US rivalry in a sport other than Hockey lol

and how this relates to the topic, which it was not off at all... I was drawing a reference to a rematch in the US open.

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-It was..

..on my end/post...such as this post, which is "totally" O.T...;)

#29 ctjcad, May 23, 2007
  10. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student
    Just wanted to apologize for my last post, I was short on time, and running out the door, so I may have sounded rather rude.

What I meant to say was, it would be great if more pros from other nations participated in the US open, and further that we'd be able to see Canada vs US rematch of the Pan Am Championships @ the US open.

CT and I were still sort of on topic lol half on half off, and we ended up in Sudirman Cup territory :D:p

11. govalley

govalley Regular Member

Pharmacist
  12. IndoAmerican

IndoAmerican Regular Member

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    Someone or the organizers should pay appearence fee to Zhou Mi and Chen Hong. Then try to make the $$$ back by selling tickets, photograph sessions and merchandise during and at the closing ceremony. haha

14. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

From what i gathered..

..basically the tournament's prize money, all $50,000, is sponsored by Mr. Don Chew(owner of OCBC) himself..;)

15. Vtec101

Vtec101 Regular Member

Printing
    This year's Open should be one of the better ones in the last few years. As far as I have heard, we've got players from Taiwan, Japan, Korea, Vietnam and quite a few other countries this year. Don't know if Russia is coming again.

16. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

The schedule..

..might not play in their favor this yr, as i notice some of them (at least the ones who competed in last yr's US Open) are playing in the upcoming WC..Hopefully they'll come again (swing by L.A. on their way back), as i want them to come back and try to defend their titles:cool:...But i guess logistics & time wise, it'll be quite hard, as the WC is 2 weeks apart with the U.S. Open..:p..
    Nevertheless, i'm looking forward to the list of players that will be competing; hopefully some of them are quite recognizable..Thanks for the heads-up infos, Vtec101;):cool:

17. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Please note that Surabaya/indonesia Challenge is same week as US open....I know that Korea/China/malay wills end their players to Indonesia..so far it is about 20 countries register for that Indonesia challenge......eventhough US open offers higher Prize money but the points are not much different for winners plus it is tougher for asian players to get US visa....lucky for japanese players who do not need visa...for Koprea, they will have Visa waiver until next year....
    I heard that many japanese will participate due to Yonex...

18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

That seemed..

..to be the problem during last yr's US Open, as there were a few Indonesian players, playing for Philippines, who had to cancel/withdraw their names from the event (one of which was Minarti Timur):p..On the other hand, yes, i would say the Japanese & Chinese Taipei players are pretty regular participants to the U.S. Open, esp. during recent yrs..:cool:

#38 ctjcad, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Minarti Timur could not get visa on time..I forgot which newspaper reported this matter.....

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Don't worry abt which newspaper..

..as long as there is BC, all (badminton) news will probably come in much earlier, sometimes faster..:p;):cool: