Zhang Jiewen where are you?

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by Just4Kicks, Jul 3, 2007.

1. lilayzunboi

lilayzunboi Regular Member

I guess ZJW is being nudged very strongly to retire by LYB since there are a lot of news articles where he's plainly stating that she's always sick, incapable, not needed, unwanted, too old, etc. He mentions he would do his best to keep her on the team but always states that if she wants to leave he won't stop her. I read one article where he talked about how YW/ZJW were still high in the world rankings and that he would keep that in mind, but I don't really get why it was mentioned if he has no intention to put them back together. I think he just likes having them at the top rankings because when they don't play, his lower-ranked player all get to qualify for things that they normally wouldn't - like WC etc.
    LYB only does this for his WD since they're still dominant and can be interchanged and still produce a top pairing. Look at Xie Zhongbo/Zhang Yawen combination for instance. They haven't won a title this year and only took two last year I believe, and have been consistently losing to foreign players (a reason that LYB split up ZJW YW was cause they kept losing to foreign pairs) in the quarters and semis yet they are still paired up.

#81 lilayzunboi, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

Well, it was from the mouth of LYB that suggested she "most probably" will retire even before ZJW saying anything about retirement.
    The explanation part wasn't from LYB personally but I believe it was an elaboration by the reporter itself FOLLOWED by the comment of LYB.

赛后李永波接受采访暗示张洁雯可 能会选择从国家队退役。

It clearly stated it was LYB hinting that ZJW may choose to retire from the national team, in an interview after the competition(China Master 2007).

#82 V3i HoN6, Jul 16, 2007
  3. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    All I am trying to point out is the difference between the post headline and teh article. A non-Chinese reading member would get a wrong idea just by reading the post headline (the only English text!).

As you rightly pointed out, the main article is not 'LYB's explanation" but the reporter's account of ZJW's career so far.

4. V3i HoN6

V3i HoN6 Regular Member

Agree with this, just something to add.
    We should always question the credibility of the source, and avoid taking it for granted after it being repeated several times.
    But in this case, other than the one and only source, it was more than that which contributed to the badminton fans giving little doubt.
    Anyone who follow badminton long enough, including the chinese themselves know well about this and it's no secret to the world. It's the norm in China team for like years and it happened way before ZJW and involves way bigger star. The recent one I recalled was Chen Hong, Gong Rui Na, and ________ (fill out any name of competitve WS expatriate from China).

You may still argue that it is still not right to generalize but afterall we are not autobots, but humans. I'm just saying that we do not make speculation based on one single news but rather than this is just a confirmation to us, for deep down our heart, we know this is how China team operate.

Nonetheless, a very good reminder to us. Just like how yesterday a Chinese news that write about LD complaint of line calls being reject, which we dont really know "In" or "Out", being quoted as the umpire actually helping LCW. I suppose if they are watching the games, they should have see 10 times more challenges of line call being rejected when they are against China, the judge helping the China team? You figure.

5. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Linus, the topic of "LYB's explanation of ZJW's retirement" was direct translation directly from this article entitled <<揭秘羽球奥运冠军缘何濒临退役 21分制竟是诱因>>.

#85 robin7, Jul 16, 2007
  6. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    尊重张洁雯的抉择

杨维/赵婷婷的失守牵涉到另外一个人,她就是张洁雯。杨维/张洁雯原本是当今世界羽坛实力数一数二的一对选手,不过,在今年初,中国队女双教练组决定将其拆对,杨维改与赵婷婷配对。张洁雯在短暂地与高崚配对后“落单”了,至今未被安排女双新搭档,而她在本次比赛中仅参加了混双项目,在第2轮中莫名其妙地输给了队友于洋/何汉斌后,她自己赛后委屈地躲在卫生间里失声痛哭,而这也惊动了广州市体育局局长刘江南,后者专门致电慰问张洁雯,并表示支持她的一切决定。

在谈到张洁雯的去留问题时,李永波首先解释了为何作出拆对的决定。“杨维/张洁雯曾夺得奥运会女双冠军,但是,4年是一个周期,每名运动员的状态都可能发生变化,我们教练组对此十分清楚。”李永波以两届奥运会混双冠军张军/高崚被拆对为例,“由于伤病的影响,张洁雯在年初的状态并不好,她与杨维曾输给日本队组合和中国台北队组合,所以教练组决定让杨维与赵婷婷尝试配对。我们发现,她们基本上没有输球,在世界大赛中也只是输给队友,而这次算是两人第一次对外输球。”

李永波强调:“张洁雯本身很努力,现在她暂时没有拍档,而参加北京奥运会的中国队女双组合最多是3对,目前的世界排名显示,高崚/黄穗、杨维/赵婷婷和杜靖/于洋是相对最稳定的。”李永波暗示已经没有位置留给第4对组合,“张洁雯如果觉得自己没有竞争力,觉得参加北京奥运会的机会不大,像陈宏那样选择返回地方队的话,我们一定会尊重运动员的抉择。”

中国队女双组主教练田秉毅对此问题避而不谈。而杨维则表示,这只是教练组的决定,并非如外界所说的自己与张洁雯关系不好,“我和阿雯现在还是很好的朋友。”对于与赵婷婷的配对,杨维透露:“以我的感觉来说,应该是固定了。”至于张洁雯目前所处的尴尬局面,杨维露出无奈的神色,她意味深长地说:“我已经尽力了。”

Source

7. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Thanks Robin.

The correct translation for that should be:

'Revealed: The 21-points scoring system was an factor that may lead to the retirement of an Olympic Champion'

If you read the full article, the main content was not from LYB's but the reporter own's reserch. So there is no explanation actually given by LYB except the quote that LYB hinted ZYM may choose to retire.

8. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    To be fair to non-Chinese reader, I would try to translate the above article as follows: (The article was quoted from Guangzhou Daily)

- start of translation -

"The lost of YW/ZTT (in China Master) involved another person: ZJW. YW/ZJW used to be one of the top pairing in the world. But at the start of 2007, the WD coach decided to split them up and pair up YW with ZTT. After a short spell partnering GL, ZJW has since not been paired with any new partner in WD, thus she only entered into XD in the China Master.

After the unexpected loss to teammate YY/HHB in the second round, ZJW hide in the washroom and cried. This incident has alerted Guangzhou City Sports Minister's Liu Jian Nan, who called and consoled ZJW, and expressed his support in whatever decision she may take.

Talking about if ZJW would stay or leave the national team, LYB said 'YW/ZJW was the Olympic WD champion. But 4 years is a cycle for any athelete and their condition may change. The coaching team is well aware of this.' LYB also cited the spliting up of Olympic XD champion GL/ZJ as an example. 'Due to injury, ZJW was not in top condition at the start of 2007, she and YW lost to Japan WD and Taiwan WD. Therefore the coaching team decided to try out YW/ZTT pairing. We found that, this new team has not lost in tournament. In the World Championship, they only lost to fellow team-mates. Hence this (refer to China Master) is the first time this pairing lost to a foreign team.'

LYB stressed, 'ZJW is very hardworking even though she does not have a partner now. Beijing Olympic only allows 3 WD teams to participate, and base on current world ranking, GL/HS, YW/ZTT and DJ/YY are relatively stable.' LYB hinted that there is no chance for a 4th team. 'If ZJW felt that she was not competitive enough and has little chance to take part in Beijing Olympic, and wanted to be like CH who chose to return to provicial team, we would definitely respect her decision.'

The headcoach of WD, TBY, chose not to comment on this matter. YW said that this is a decision (to split up with ZJW) of the coaching team and not because she has a bad relationship with ZJW. 'ZJW and I are still good friend,' said YW, 'my feeling is my pairing with ZTT is now permanent.' 'As regard the current situation of ZJW,' YW expressed helplessly, 'I have tried my very best.'"

- end of translation -

#88 Linus, Jul 16, 2007
  9. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Not to argue.:) I never commented anything on this article but probably just the title. Seems like u r the one who put words into my mouth.:)

Btw, good translation but some correction:
    'Revealed: The 21-point scoring system was a factor that may lead to the retirement of the Olympic Champion':)

10. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    My bad grammer! Thanks Robin.

11. the_way

the_way Regular Member

Well, Liyongbo should retire zhang ning because shes too old. LOL.

Actually liyongbo realised that the new batch of chinese ladies in WS are not strong. Look at Zhulin, LuLan, Wang Lin, Wang Yihan, Jang Yianjiao. Though they win tournament sometimes, but they will lose sometimes to players like tracey hallem, wong mew choo, pihongyan, xuhuaiwen, wangchen, yip pui yin and cheng sao hsieh. If XieXingfang were to play without zhangning, i think she wont make it to final in big tournament because she knows she has great great responsibility. Everyone knows that her mental game is not so good in crucial stages.

With ZhouMi representing Hk now, I think Liyongbo is in fear. If Mia were to make a comeback, I think LYB is going to have sleepless night. :cool:

12. Just4Kicks

Just4Kicks Regular Member

Chef
    For those interested about zhang jiewen's sad fate..check the latest forums on the 07 china open..

i was almost in tears when i read the latest posts..

it is sad especialy when you are still on your top of the game yet your coach thinks otherwise..

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    Wake up, LYB is only interested beating other non-chinese pairs.
    :rolleyes:

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Since most of u guys aren't a coach :D, u can't understand what and why of LYB's doing. As stated before, Zhang jiewen's health(ie power and consistency) is dropping or questionable. LYB can't afford to bet only on the wei/jiewen pair for the 08 OG. LYB is jigging the WD. LYB moved ting ting around from XD (wif XXZ, then zhengbo) to now WD. Yes ZTT lacks refinement of jiewen but ZTT has more smashing power, and has 1 year to be refined for 08 OG. lYB fixed MD. LYB fixed XD. LD is #1 if he want to. WD is the least important event so LYB is fixing it last while all u nay sayer thinks china wall is crashing down LOL

I bet LYB mind set is the 08 OG. He is testing and refining his team now in preparation for that. I bet he would give up 07 WC fame and glory for a sweep in 08 OG. U can laugh at LYB if u want, his renovation WD team still made it to the final. Just look at MAL, the famed MD pairs are still IN THE REPAIR SHOP. Outlook for INA's specialty, the MD, looks like the weakest of the all event.

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

lotta if's there LOL
    u r too short sighted.
    LYB has like 8 different WS guns to work with, plus 12 months to calibrate them.

tracey hallem, wong mew choo, pihongyan, xuhuaiwen, wangchen??
    LOL, in 2008, they'll be 1 year older and 1 year slower LOL
    These girls are on the downward trend while the chinese newbies are on a upward trend.
    stop looking at your feet when walking, u might bump your head into a light pole LOL

#95 cooler, Jul 16, 2007
  16. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Not sure how many WS players can participate in OLY08. If 3 or even 4 are allowed, the gold-silver-bronze are for CHN WS players to lose...I can't see anyone threatening them, esp with homecourt advantage. If only ZM can play OLY (I don't think so) therefore can provide some challenge or the draw pits CHN vrs CHN in early round, then CHN sweep may be denied, otherwise my bet in gold-silver and maybe bronze for CHN. Too powerful.

17. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
  18. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Thanks for infor. In that case, gold, silver or sweep is a CHN possibility. I sympatize with the 4th, 5th, etc. ranked CHN WS players that could not make the CHN OLY team, as they are good enough to make the top team in any other countries. If ZN, XXF or Zhu Lin make the team, then Lu Lan, JYJ, WL, WYH, etc etc would be left out...thats is a pity. My bet, gold, silver and depending on the draw, bronze to CHN...simply too powerful.

19. Linus

Linus Regular Member

Manager
    Quite true. But they ought to half-expected that when they decided to join the national team set up that you have not fight to win a spot.

Most of the names you mentioned would probably be around the next Olympic, with the exception of ZN. So they do have another chance to try their hand to become an Olympic Champion.

You would also pitty those who excel in the 70-80s when badminton was not even a recongnised Olympic discipline. Even the like of Yang Yang, who won the 1988 Seoul Olympic badminton event when it was only an exhibition game - he is not considered as an outright Olympic champion.

But that is life - sometimes you just have to be at the right place and at the right time.

20. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I agreed. I can't imagine CHN WS without ZN in OG08. Suppose LYB decides to send XXF, ZL & LL/JYJ without ZN, XXF will be under tremendous pressure because she's the greatest hope of CHN WS and might not even reach the final. I guess that's the main reason why LYB's still keeping ZN for "double safety". XXF, to me, is still not very stable despite beating ZN twice in last two WC.

Remember how CH, LD & BCL fared in OG04.
    LYB doesn't want to repeat it by sending XXF, ZL & LL/JYJ in OG08 without ZN.
    ZL, LL, JYJ, WL & WYH are good players but still far from XXF & ZN. I believe that they can make an impact in 2012 but not 2008 yet.