Lee Chong Wei should apologise

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by hsengsping, Aug 16, 2007.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    LCW needs more quality opposition within the MAS MS rank, the same that CHN is currently having. Only with good, consistent challenge from his peers can he measure his abilities and be 'pressured' to improve or lose his place.

I do not see Hafiz, Roslin, Kuan BH etc to be on the same level as he is. The only time he could do something about his own development is during tourneys when faced up against equal-leveled competitors whom are more than capable of ending his challenge. By then, with added time to accommodate to a different rival (they don't sit down and drink tea while he practices), it may just be too late.

LD have BCL, CJ, CY right on his shadows. BCL have to deal with both LD and the two Chens. The two Chens know their chances are limited but can improve well from sparring with the country's top two.

I can see the MAS MDs to continue improving with so many pairs ready to usurp KKK/TBH's position and the latter knows that Rexy doesn't care about their names, just performance. Haven't heard of so much emphasis placed on junior players until Rexy came - before that it's always about TCF/LWW.

The problem lies within, rather than without.

Then, how to solve this problem? Unfortunately I have no idea but there is an urgent need to increase the quality of recruits to the national stable.

One championship-level player is never enough. He needs to be on his toes continuously. Stressful? If he can't handle it, someone will eventually take his place. This is what differentiates between a good player and a very good one.

2. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Also, LCW feels very lonely out there...if I am him, I probably pee and **** in my pants looking left right back and front with so many CHN players surrounding me, not to mention Mr. TH himself.....better call my mama...:p:p

3. -wei-

-wei- Regular Member

TH is pretty lonely as well, but unlike LCW, Taufik is his own man.

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It's a fortunate thing you're not him.

5. champion8

champion8 Regular Member

i feel sad for Lee Chong Wei. It is never easy to shoulder the nation responsibility on his shoulder. It is never easy to be a public figure. Anyway who doesn't want to win.

The main thing is to rectify our mistake and climb up again. Give Chong Wei a chance. He will come back.

6. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

LEE CHONG WEI JIA YOU... dont be too dissapointed, we the fans will always support u....

7. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

Chong Wei is back to play in India Open Hyderabad from Sept 4-9.

The report said he will face Chen Yu or Anup Sridhar.
    http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/8/22/sports/18662838&sec=sports

Taufik and BCL are there as well. So far there is no pressure in a lesser competition.

I reckon LCW will finish at least in the top 4. Looked at how he bounced back from the Singapore Aviva Open to win the Indonesian Open.

8. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    It's pathetic, Chong Wei (The New Straits Times 22nd Aug 2007)

CHAMPIONS who have the habit of blaming others when they lose, can be forgiven if they back it with a slew of titles.
    Lee Chong Wei has mastered the habit of speaking his mind but has failed to put his money where his mouth is.

Taufik Hidayat, infamous for his constant feuds with the Indonesia BA (PBSI) and several national coaches, however has always put his nation's interest above all else and has won every major crown except the All-England.

Taufik is the only player who has won the men’s singles gold in the Olympics (in 2004), the World Championships (2005) and the Asian Games twice (2002 and 2004).

Chong Wei, who has not achieved any of this, vented his fury when the chips were down against national chief coach Yap Kim Hock. It was untimely and totally uncalled for.

Players, not only stars, are entitled to voice their displeasure but they must learn to meet their obligation first, and this is where Chong Wei erred as his defeat to eventual runner-up Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the third round looked deliberate.

A player gets little mercy by offering excuses after a poor performance but Chong Wei’s was so pathetic that some of the fans who were season ticket holders, even demanded a refund.

Chong Wei, based on current form, is good enough to reach the final but he has showed he is vulnerable to the slightest of niggles he receives from outsiders and this does not augur well for a player who has played at the world’s stage.

It is the exact opposite for his rival Lin Dan of China, who demonstrated what a great player he is by defending the title despite being under tremendous pressure from his head coach Li Yongbo.

Yongbo had gone on record criticising Lin Dan’s wavering commitment after his defeat to Chong Wei in the Sudirman Cup (in June).

The coach even took a swipe at his top shuttler’s nickname ‘Super Dan’, saying that there is nothing super about Lin Dan and it’s the media who is glorifying him.

Lin Dan responded by becoming only the second player after his idol Yang Yang (champion in 1987 and 1989) to retain the world title.

The World No 1 is now the obvious favourite to win the Olympic gold in front of his home crowd next year, while there will be doubts about Chong Wei if continues throwing tantrums.

Many feel the BA of Malaysia (BAM) made a horrendous error by leaving out Wong Choong Hann from the World Championships as the veteran player could have given Chong Wei the able support as the rest — Hafiz Hashim, Lee Tsuen Seng and Roslin Hashim — were out of depth.

Hafiz’s form is going nowhere fast and he is destined to lose a place in the Olympics squad and this probably leaves Choong Hann as first choice for the second spot.

Roslin and Tsuen Seng are past their prime and BAM should be firm when it comes to selection, which should be based on quality and not the world ranking if another debacle is to be avoided.

Even the newspaper is bashing Chong Wei now.

9. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hope that CHONG WEI will bounce back and won the INDIA OPEN...

10. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

CHAMPIONS who have the habit of blaming others when they lose, can be forgiven if they back it with a slew of titles.
    Not logical. Just like give you a slap n send you a bunch of flower
    A player gets little mercy by offering excuses after a poor performance but Chong Wei’s was so pathetic that some of the fans who were season ticket holders, even demanded a refund.
    buy insurance first for a refund before they get to the venue
    It is the exact opposite for his rival Lin Dan of China, who demonstrated what a great player he is by defending the title despite being under tremendous pressure from his head coach Li Yongbo.
    during the last olympic he fell tamely to susilo
    Yongbo had gone on record criticising Lin Dan’s wavering commitment after his defeat to Chong Wei in the Sudirman Cup (in June).
    The coach even took a swipe at his top shuttler’s nickname ‘Super Dan’, saying that there is nothing super about Lin Dan and it’s the media who is glorifying him.
    pouring gasoline to extinguish the fire???
    The World No 1 is now the obvious favourite to win the Olympic gold in front of his home crowd next year, while there will be doubts about Chong Wei if continues throwing tantrums.
    who knows??? why worry???

11. -wei-

-wei- Regular Member

I hope Yap Kim Hock can bounce back, I feel sorry for the guy. Must be feeling quite s*** to talk up your own lad and have him embarrass you in public.

12. Joyous

Joyous Regular Member

Not logical. Just like give you a slap n send you a bunch of flower

If I am not wrong, I think you misinterpret the journalist.

13. KlasseE

KlasseE Regular Member

they thought what LCW had complaint about YKH could be forgiven if he has the ability to gain some major titles back later, like TH did before?

14. gitee

gitee Regular Member

self employed

I won't feel sorry for Yap Kim Hock if what I heard about him from the MAS team is correct. They said he often likes to crack dirty sexist jokes before , during and after training. And always at expense of the female species. What a 'chee go pek' if it is true. Not appropriate for a chief coach to do such acts !

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    True...I rather keep my daytime job...thank you very much.

16. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    TH is not lonely! I saw him being surrounded by friends when he parties at night! :D

17. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I have not heard that word too often" Chee go pek"......:D:D:D how to say that word in English...it is between " S" word and "H" word ( it is not swearing words but I do not want to put itand I may get banned ...:D:D)

18. milady_aries

milady_aries Regular Member

Student
    Just my opinion, might be childish :D

Isn't he suppose to focus on what important now, to be the best and make a comeback. I mean we are just fans after all. We nomitate the best and support them. We give them constructive critism when needed and cheer when they made it!

They're not celebrities just players who have an amount of fanbase behind their backs to support them. Chong Wei should focus more on what needs to be done rather than weep about anything and narrate everything to the fans. It's pressure yes, but who doesn't come across that in their life? It's the strongest who remain calm and collective during crucial moments. So then, why apologise? If he did his best he don't need to tell anyone I blame here and I blame there and I'm sorry. Sure fans will feel sad and stuff but after all the spirit that doesn't give up lives in all of us

Mercy and refunds, so what? They are the one who hope too much before they could actually count their chickens. I personally went to Bukit Jalil eventhough I'm attending an exam month just to see how they play with their skills.

The issue of Yap Kim Hock being a live embarrassment, even how much people view him, a good coach will accept all failures and retrain them as long as he can continue to produce good players under his wings. This is the basic personality of a dedicated teacher which I came across during my youth. But humans have different personalities after all.

My hope is Chong Wei to settle his problems like a senior so that he can continue to focus to be the best. Target to strife for the best, if you have to sacrifice certain things. Lin Dan despite his arrogance, I have to respect him for his focus and talents.

19. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I'm not sure what has actually happened between YKH & LCW.

YKH could've been wrong but LCW's complaint has made him a fool. And now LCW has put himself in a even more difficult position to bounce back.

I agreed with u that LCW should focus more and learn from his rival Lin Dan on how to handle pressures.

20. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Lin Dan and LCW are different.
    They are surrounded by different environment and people.they have their own style.
    LCW is maybe not as matured as lindan is.it maybe caused by their coaches and government policy.I dont have to explain further.
    compare LYB and YKH.
    and how our government treated our players ?compare it with China's government.The difference is huge.