Home ground advantage, big government funding and local fans support...

Discussion in 'World Championships 2007' started by Pemuda, Aug 19, 2007.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Just like the probability of Malaysia winning the football world cup in 2010 :rolleyes:

2. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    But you weren't comparing SAF with Wenger. You were comparing SAF with the Malaysian badminton administration. You were the one who brought SAF up originally, so if he's not apple enough, who is to blame?

Malaysia has (officially) the least badminton-playing population among the supposed big 5 countries (maybe Denmark has slightly less, but it's about the same).

Our juniors denied exposure? You must be kidding. I consistently see their names in overseas tournaments.

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I was not aware you look so higly upon our footballers.

4. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Dare to dream but must back your dream with results? What nonsense is this.

So, we should have said we would all lose in the first round. Then maybe the results would be easier to swallow?

You are thinking negative. You only think you are telling the facts. In fact, neither you nor me know the facts.

There are many kind of fans. Some go overboard with minor achievements. Some are more realistic (I hope I am in this category). Some go overly miserable and lash out at everything. We are fans, alright? We sit on our arses and cheer for our favourite players whether they are up or down. The players suffer in training every day, and you don't even know it. Do you realise the number of players who quit or think of quitting because of the harsh training and the battering their bodies are taking? I would have quit long time ago if all my fans do is tell me to go home and fly kite.

5. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

No nonsense at all, dude. It is about putting the money where your mouth is. Walking the talk. But I guess this is all alien to you.

I am a realist. Unlike you, I do not swallow wholesale the nonsense fed by BAM. If we fall flat on our nose in the WC on our homeground, whats the chance of us bagging that elusive gold in Beijing next year?

You need to know as a national badminton player or a professional sportsmen, pressures and expectations comes with the job. If you dont like it, too bad. The country dont owe you a living period. If a player wants to quit because of pressure or etc, so be it. Quit. There will be others to take his/her place. In the end, only the winners will stay.

6. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Somehow I am not surprised that you missed my point :rolleyes:

7. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Putting money where mouth is? Walking the talk? Seems all you are good at is coming up with cliches. It's easier spoken than done.

I do not swallow wholesale nonsense by both BAM and also the doom-sayers. Was I insane enough to believe Rexy when he said "4 pairs in the semis"? Of course not. Perhaps you did, that's why all this backlash.

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    He must be only following the major BADMINTON tournament ... The 1st half of 2007, BAM sends more than 30 Juniors to 1. Smilling Fish International Series; 2. Cheers Asian Satelite Badminton Championship in Singapore..
    HH not even participating in both tournament..
    People who doesn't know about the World Ranking System wouldn't understand that the Juniors players of any country can't even get the chances to play in the Qualification Round of SS. That leave BAM no options but have to sent their promising juniors into smaller satelite opens..
    Even WCH needs to get as much Ranking points by participating in this kinda "Small -Fish " Tournament..

9. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
  10. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    From my observation, the MAS Juniors and youngsters are given tons of chances to play internationally. Dutch Junior, German Junior, Austria Series, Bahrain Series, Thai Series, Singapore Series, Vietnam Challenge [55 MAS total], Indonesia Challenge [but they cancelled], Philippine Open, Thailand Open, ...tons of tournaments, just in the first 8 months of 2007...

I once saw the number of MAS in MS and MD listed by the BWF. I have to say the number of actively competing young MAS players have to be the highest in Southeast Asia and maybe the world...

#110 Krisna, Aug 29, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2007
  11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

When did I compare SAF with Msian badminton admin????? :confused:
    Please, go and read again my posting. You are lost and disillusioned.

I mentioned SAF in relation to a coach like Li YongBo. They are both alike in their management style. Keyword = management style. Understand, now? :rolleyes:

Denmark's population "slightly less" than Malaysia's. Well, fyi Denmark's population is 5.5 million. Malaysia's 27million. I dont know how can 5 million is "slightly less" than 27 million :confused:

I guess I will leave it at that.

12. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Your English is good; well, better than mine , grammar-wise but the Maths dept need some unsolicited help here, if you don't mind.
    Your ranking sense is a bit mixed up.
    MAS badminton ranking is good, counting from the top end.
    MAS football ranking can also be good but counting from the bottom end.
    The probability of Malaysia winning the football WC is similar to the probability of Guatemala winning the badminton WC (don't even make it for R1)
    The probability of Malaysia badminton winning an OG08 gold is similar to Italy winning the WC10, ie always a contender but with no guarantee.
    Hope this clarifies your thinking.

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

What has maths gotta do with the ranking system especially after your statement: "Fantasies do get realised but not that often. And the Olympics is an event that is not that often either"

Since you are talking about fantasies, what has ranking system and maths gotta do with it. And like the Olympics, the Football World Cup 'is an event that is not often either'. Fantasy wise, Malaysia may just win it ... according to you ;)

Hope the above helps in getting you to be consistent in what you say.

14. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Ranking comes under the Maths field. But I have come to recognise that either I'm too advanced as a teacher or you are too behind as a student or both. In any case as it seems you don't understand and I couldn't explain further,just consider this a free lesson since it's ineffective
    Thank you for your time and interest.

15. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Yes, I am sure everyone who disagrees with you is lost and disillusioned.

Read "badminton-playing" population. There were official figures supplied by BWF a few years back.

16. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Teacher?? :confused: You seem to enjoy glorifying yourself, eh? I guess thats part of the fantasy thingy you are preaching about.

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Well, for someone who thinks 5million is only slightly less than 27million, I can certainly understand the being lost and disillusioned part.
    All I can say is that it is no wonder our badminton fans in general accept the excuses for failures dished out regularly.

5million slightly less than 27million ... looks like our current education system is one big failure as well :eek:

18. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    After 50 years,there's still malaysian who doubt our own people ability.
    I will voice out my opinion as a malaysian.
    We still cannot win the badminton WC,any gold in Olympic,qualified to world cup etc...Thats the fact and we have to accept that.
    But to create a statement that describe all the dreams are fantasies? we are far away from the dreams?.i think that's inappropiate.We will just enervated our people's spirit.

I wonder if tunku did the same thing in his age (for example : saying that we are not capable to lead our own country),can we celebrated the 50th years of independence today ?

Nobody have the confidence that Malaysians can lead malaysia all-together.nobody expected that.But we believe in our ability and always stand by each other.We are able to do everything if we give our support to our nation.thats our freehold.now, the results show begins...

im not being off-topic or trying to show my patriotism towards my beloved malaysia but Malaysians,please stop doubtig our oppurtunity to do well in world big events.its really really inappropiate.

now back to the topic.
    homeground advantage.big government funding and local fans support..
    its subjective anyway.Fans can lift up the spirits sometimes give pressure.
    specifically,Malaysians badminton player sometimes cannot cope with this.most of the time actually.
    When they lose,fans can be a factor.ironically,they will repeat the satement if they wins.its confusing me.so i dont have any solid statement on this topic.

19. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

It is not about Msians doubting fellow Msians :rolleyes:
    It is not about blindly supporting for the sake of supporting.
    It is not about not being allowed to have dreams.

It is about our badminton, or sports in general in Malaysia where we tend have false inclinations that we are world beaters when in actual fact, we are not and are actually far off the mark.

When there are criticism on our shuttlers, it is very typical to have fellow Msians jumping that the critics leveled are unfair. We need to wake up from our Msian slumber and subsidy mentality or else we will continue to live with excuses while other nations go on and win the titles. if we dont remove or take away our milk bottles, crutches, drips we will always come out short.

The WC in KL proved that. We failed big time despite the home court advantage. And as long as BAM continue breast feeding our shuttlers, we can dream about winning the All England, WC or the Olympic gold.

20. KaSoon

KaSoon New Member

Consultancy Manager
    Most of the Malaysia government organization always topsy turvy one...Kalau ada yang concern bagi some idea yang boleh pakai, cepat-cepat dia oramg kata "dia apa tahu"...

To me its not 27million population that matter much but how we make the best that we have thouugh best organisation...In today's world trying our best promises is not good enough...We have seen too much of such scenarios...

Australia has a population more or less like ours but they are world beaters in many fields...Many smaller populations of the Scandivanian countries are small and yet they are world beaters...Even poor countries like Kenya and
    Ethiopia have their own world class athletes...Think, especially our national badminton players are just overfed and pampered lot and most of us like to dwell on past glories which we have very few (as I can remember)...

I am not too much concern about being world beaters but get upset on events that we can excel...Kita ni mostly suka syok sendiri sehinggakan nak jadi hero kampung pun sudah jadi susah...Macamanalah nak beat Chinese, Indonesian or Koreans in Badminton at their backyard!...fattest of all hopes, eh?...