new lights @ GGBC

Discussion in 'Golden Gate Badminton Club ( GGBC ) (CLOSED)' started by kwun, Sep 12, 2007.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    GGBC1 recently installed some new light (well it is about time as the old one is too dark for taking photos). the place look so much brighter now.

and hint hint at what you would expect to see in Emeryville too. ;)

Attached Files:

2. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    oh man.... i do dislke back-to-back courts. the backlighting from back-court is irritating.....:cool:

3. GGManagement

GGManagement Regular Member

Reply to Dri fit....

Hello Dri fit!

Wow you are from far far away in Malaysia! I was just there late last month in Aug, and I’d have to tell you that it was SOOO HOT :crying: I could hardly stand up cos I couldn't open my eyes from the continous sweat creeping in them! I could barely breathe! I don't know how you can manage THAT, but luckily the Club Owner Kelly, whose facility in KL is currently the newest & biggest with 28 or 32 courts, let me play in her ONE air conditioned court room which is reserved for Malaysian World Champions if they should visit to practice, or VIPS. What a relief! Do you know Kelly? Or been to her Club there? In Hong and Taiwan all courts are back to back as well with ceiling screens as GGBC's, but with AIR CON thank GOD. Is it like that in Malaysia, faclities have courts in one line? The few clubs I visited there, btween courts were blocked with a wooden board on rollers which serves as a screen:rolleyes::eek:.

Actually... have you ever played in US courts before? After we upgraded our lighting we've heard nothing but very positive feedback, and they are even happier than before! We do strive to provide the best we can provide. Most of the exclusive badminton clubs in the USA are formatted this way due to the configuration of the buildings, which are UNbelievably hard to find and get PERMITS to run an exclusive Badminton Club in the first place, and the cost factor as well. Bay Area property is VERY expensive.

GGBC is very content with our courts.... and aaaaahem....:p we are proud to say.... even the World Champions whom have played on our courts in tournaments at GGBC love our lighting and configuration :D so.... they've expressed much excitement and look forward to the UCB / GGOpen in our new Emeryville Club on Oct 5-7, 2007!

Anyways, hope you don't mind me responding to your comment. I found it a most unusual comment since the majority of the courts I've been in all over the world are back to back. I hope you will have the opportunity to at LEAST COME and see for yourself:rolleyes:;)! Maybe join our tournament in October? We will most welcome International players!

Thank you for your comments once again and we are always, and will continue, in our efforts to raise the standard of our badminton facilities on an International Basis!

Best to you, GG Sally

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    :confused::confused::confused:
    maybe i did make mistake in the above.
    back-to-back court is ok, just the lights. maybe you are just used to it. i oftenly temp-blinded by the back court's lite. if the space between back-to-back court is close, even worse. if can, may place a curtain to separate the back-to-back court....:D

indoor courts in Malaysia do feel stuffy if the air ventilation isnt good. however, we prefer to play at nite due to work and more cooling at nites. is that really Kelly that owns the largest badminton hall in Malaysia? 32 courts? at Puchong?

er... so far, you are the only foreigner from US or Europe that complain the weather at here, in Malaysia. few dozens, i did ask them how they feel about Malaysia. first reply, love the weather then etc..... sunbathing at 12.00-2.00pm at seaside here in Malaysia. lay down on beach and get sunlite at 12.00-2.00pm under hot sun. get a Malaysian whether is Malay, Chinese or Indian do that...... i did ask one of my friend to do that, he ask go to .......blah blah blah blah...:crying::crying::crying:

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    actually, i talked to Mike about that. as you can see, there is a curtain there right now. the problem is that it was designed for the old lights which were much higher. the next day after our talk, he went and order new ones that will block the new lights.

6. GGManagement

GGManagement Regular Member

So hot on the courts....

Oh I think you misunderstood me Dri Fit. I was talking about it was SOO HOT INSIDE the COURTS, not in Malaysia! Oh I love Malaysia. I go there ALL the time and all my best fans are from there. I love the place, just pass out playing badminton if there is no air conditioning :eek: . YES, the place I was talking about is Kelly's place who is also a great badminton player herself! Have you been there? I don't know if it's in Puchong or not but it's just opened a little over or less than a year and it's got 32 courts I think. It looked like ALOT of courts. I got to play against her and Lee Chong Wei against Lee Chong Wei's sparring partner and of course Lee Chong Wei WON!! I say HE WON, because I practically stood in just ONE corner and didn't MOVE except lift my racquet up and down for no real reason and of course not helping with anything.

I don't know how you all manage to play in such heat because the clubs there have those metal ceilings which attract even more heat, but I'm sure playing at nite helps. I know there's ALOT of people in Malaysia who play. When I went there in the afternoons there were alot of players, where as in US, the afternoons tend to be much quieter than at night, when it feels like most of Bay Area is trying to squeeze in some good birdie play! I went to a amateur tournament in KL once at that Michaels facility and they had 1500 player entries from all over Asia! Everyone held a board with the players following behind them and the Country they were from. People even came from Canada and Austrailia! That's how popular badminton is there. I wish the same will be so rewarding for US sometime in the near future!

But anyways, hope you can make it down to US one of these days and play in any one of the clubs in the Bay Area! We might have back to back courts, BUT, It's much COOLER! :D:p

See ya down in Malay or USA! Sally :D:D

#6 GGManagement, Sep 15, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2007
  7. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    found this
    Sally Yeh thrashing Candra Wijaya
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPGCRTQ6Cpc&mode=related&search=

anyway most courts i've played in singapore has poor ventilation..sad eh. how i dream i could ever play in a cooling and less humid environment. But by now i've gotten used to the wet sticky icky feel all over, as well as your shirt(and shorts) sticking onto you. haha.
    But on the other hand, when i run threadmill in an air conditioned gym..the cold air makes my throat feel real cold and dry =/ so maybe the best badminton environment is one that's not too cold, not humid and has good ventilation

8. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

9. Caryne Au

Caryne Au Regular Member

Hi Sally you are right many of our courts here are very stuffy in Malaysia.Ventilation even if playing at night is poor. Hmm....only a few health clubs here have good ventilation but it's not open to public (for club members only) but then poor lightings.
    Afternoon games are definitely VERY VERY HOT!somehow we just have to adapt to the environment, we don't have many choices to begin with.only if all the courts here follow international standards,then our players here will probably have less knee injuries at early age (flooring material) and affects eye sight due to poor lightings.
    Already a challenge to book courts during weekday nights due to the popularity of the sport.Almost impossible to play AD HOC games after work,we need to book one strecth to secure courts for continuity of game.Badminton is such a popular game here! Real "hot" game ya?

Drifit, we must wear dri fits clothing material to match the stuffiness in our indoor courts.Otherwise our usual cotton t shirts soaks after 1 game.And YES, Sally has a big pool of FANS here in Malaysia both as a singer and badminton advocator.Sally no one is too old for badminton, please continue to promote badminton as the most exciting racquet sport!

Hopefully US will soon have such popularity like in Malaysia.

Still looking for robyn flooring her in kl.Sally, what type of flooring you mentioned playing with Kelly & Lee Chong Wei last month in kl?

Caryne

10. DivingBirdie

DivingBirdie Regular Member

student
    Wow........didn't know Sally Yeh is a BC member! And you played well too!:D

By the way who's Candra's partner Stephen? Any chinese name?

11. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Making a fool

Thank you for saying I played well:crying: but in fact, I made a complete fool of myself. I was TRYING to play well :(! I was supposed to partner with Chandra at first, and he was really nice of course, but actually my TRUE IDOL is SIGIT, aiyo...this guy is no where to be seen these days :cool:, but I thought I'd try to be CLEVER and asked to partner with Tony cos I thought I'd had "experience" :rolleyes: with Tony before in OCBC when I went with Mike to visit OCBC Mr. Chew a year back. I guess the moral of the story here is not be GREEDY on a desparately amateur friendly exhibition match and THINK you are playing in a world class competition :p! Here I was trying to "strategise" with Tony and Tony just kept this BIG SMILE on his face and not really paying much attention to my barbling on and on.. about how we should play hahaaa.. :p

I'm not sure what the guys name was but he is BAK FAH YIOWS (White flower Oils) Chairman and I have to admire the guy as he is quite a great advocate of Badminton! He does love it and last week paired with my best Friend Loletta Chu in HER charity tournament in HKG last week. He was a beginner when we played but with his VIGOR, and seems, his love for badminton, I'm sure he is much improved now. Best of all, he has put in a lot of money for Charity purposes for his love of badminton. Alot of events with Badminton he has participated in and really donated ALOT of $$$! :D Now THAT is a GOOD PLAYER!

S

12. GGsally

GGsally Regular Member

Answer to Caryne

Drifit, we must wear dri fits clothing material to match the stuffiness in our indoor courts.Otherwise our usual cotton t shirts soaks after 1 game.And
    Hopefully US will soon have such popularity like in Malaysia.

Still looking for robyn flooring her in kl.Sally, what type of flooring you mentioned playing with Kelly & Lee Chong Wei last month in kl?

Caryne[/quote]

Hello Caryne,
    You know I can't really remember the floor at Kelly's place? I seem to recall it was a mat of some kind. I've played on pure cement floors and my knees are pretty BIG so they don't really get affected so I don't pay much attention to the floor but definately the Robbins floor is boootiful simply cos it's like wall to wall carpeting as it gets taped like carpet right to the edge of the walls. When I joined CCC club in HKG they had mats and I remember preferring to play on pure cement cos the mat made me feel like my foot got stuck and couldn't be lifted. It took a LONG time to get used to. As for cushioning, Robbins floor if you push your thumb down hard enough you get a little indent. Robbins floor has a fantastic layers and layers of fine rubber not like a sponge where if you compressed it often (such as in constant stepping, like a club with so many people walking, jumping, running all over), in time, the compression will cause the sponge to flatten out and have no suspension at all. The Robbins floor is Pure rubber. Layers and layers of it, 11 in fact in GGBC's, and the rubber will never compress. It will always maintain its suspension like it was new. It has a lifetime guarantee. It hightail expensive, so much so that I think alot of clubs dont' find it feasable to purchase it but I feel maybe if you look at the long term benefits then it would pay off someday! It's certainly a no brainer to look at and to decide it's really an amazing choice of floor.

As for lighting, THAT"S what I feel is MOST important for ME. I mean I've been in a club in Fremont, not an exclusive badminton club, just a sport facillty, where I would lose the birdie for AGES until it almost hits the net! I was so frustrated and just COULDN"T play there at ALL. I don't know there must be something wrong with my eyes. They are very very sensitive. THey always go blurry. I thought the lighting in Kelly's place was good though in the air conditioned room. Some lighting is better than others. I can tell you my club in HKG which only has 2 courts has the best lighting anywhere for me. It's so well lit that it's quite beautiful, but that club has so much money and everything was custom designed and made to their exact specifications. Everything costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to get 2 perfect courts. Beautiful maple wood floors with a few layers of sponge like matting, suspension underneath and a Yonex mat on top of the wood floor, which is kept sooo clean all these years, and the best wall colors and perfect hanging lights that shine up and down. And AIR CON. They also have 2 very mean attendants that if you walk by them without signing in and paying for that days birdie use, they chase you down only 5 feet away from their desk. It's so funny. They are very good patrol ladies.

As for Drifit, I now understand why it's so popular in Asia. Asia is a hot and humid place a good place to wear drifit. I don't think it's so suitable in cooler climates cos once you get wet, it becomes very COLD and it doesn't dry as fast cos it's so cool and you just start to shiver until it dries which takes a long time. So on this side of the continent, I still prefer the cotton to absorb the sweat and then actually it dries fast cos the climate is so dry.

S

#12 GGsally, Sep 16, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2007
  13. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    i am her big fan......:D
    i did went to Penang to watch Sally Yeh's performance, but stand so far away.....:(

:cool: all of you know why i use drifit here as nick......
    when you plan to come to Malaysia again, please inform, i try to squeeze in or break-in or smuggle myself in, meet you, get an autograph from you on my badminton bag.....:D
    whatever it was before in this thread, i am so :D :D :D :D :D that Sally replied to me here in BC. tonite, i am sure having sweetdream....:)

Attached Files:

• 378b.jpg
      378b.jpg
      File size:
      83.5 KB
      Views:
  14. Caryne Au

Caryne Au Regular Member

GGBC benchmark Olympic Standard - Robbins Flooring

Sally, thanks for the info on 'robbins'. GGBC has such precision on the flooring system and lightings [look at Kwun's pictures] How I wish we have such precision in Malaysia on the floorings and lightings especially with "robbins" flooring. I went to the website: robbinfloor.com to read up more about it & I'm very impressed with the details & news on robbins, .....choices of many world class sports facilities.
    The attraction for me with robbins flooring is the shock absorption that helps in reducing the risks of knee injuries. Hmm, too bad & late, I have already injured my knees so so soon. The pain is always there :crying::crying:whenever I bend my knees, surviving now with special knee guards that hold my knee cap that support my movements like lunges & jumps. I bought a good pair of court shoes that helps to absorb shock but I guess can't entirely rely on it but I think it helps a little.

Sally, perhaps consider to transfer technology & experience by opening a GGBC3 in Malaysia!:):D YOu will be launching your 2nd branch - GGBC2 REAL soon right? After that come to Malaysia to build one here.....:p

Best Wishes To YOu & Your Team in GGBC.
    Caryne
    [​IMG][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]GGBC is proud to present 8 of the most technologically advanced flooring systems in the world.

"Robbins" wall to wall Flooring Systems is utilized in GGBC. We are proud and excited to offer such a quality product to our members. Our badminton courts boasts a 11mm padding with High-tec polymer coating for maximum sports performance during training and competitions. Robbins Flooring Systems offer maximum shock absorption without any compromise for floor integrity. Our flooring system will greatly reduce the risk of knee injuries while providing the state of the art in cushioning and traction.

The U.S. Olympic Training Centers in Lake Placid, Colorado Springs and Birmingham are the model for training centers worldwide. In addition to these prestigious locations, Robbins
    systems are found in numerous international training sites, making Robbins the premier surface for training the world's elite athletes. Again, it is our goal and mission to provide unsurpassed quality and service to our members. [/SIZE][/FONT]

[​IMG][​IMG][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]GGBC also showcases a 35 foot ceiling height, painted to create maximum visible contrast. This is one of the highest ceilings in the United States for a dedicated badminton facility. This will allow our members to play and compete with the enjoyment of never being interrupted by ceiling beams or low hanging lights.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Hello Caryne,
    You know I can't really remember the floor at Kelly's place? I seem to recall it was a mat of some kind. I've played on pure cement floors and my knees are pretty BIG so they don't really get affected so I don't pay much attention to the floor but definately the Robbins floor is boootiful simply cos it's like wall to wall carpeting as it gets taped like carpet right to the edge of the walls. When I joined CCC club in HKG they had mats and I remember preferring to play on pure cement cos the mat made me feel like my foot got stuck and couldn't be lifted. It took a LONG time to get used to. As for cushioning, Robbins floor if you push your thumb down hard enough you get a little indent. Robbins floor has a fantastic layers and layers of fine rubber not like a sponge where if you compressed it often (such as in constant stepping, like a club with so many people walking, jumping, running all over), in time, the compression will cause the sponge to flatten out and have no suspension at all. The Robbins floor is Pure rubber. Layers and layers of it, 11 in fact in GGBC's, and the rubber will never compress. It will always maintain its suspension like it was new. It has a lifetime guarantee. It hightail expensive, so much so that I think alot of clubs dont' find it feasable to purchase it but I feel maybe if you look at the long term benefits then it would pay off someday! It's certainly a no brainer to look at and to decide it's really an amazing choice of floor.

As for lighting, THAT"S what I feel is MOST important for ME. I mean I've been in a club in Fremont, not an exclusive badminton club, just a sport facillty, where I would lose the birdie for AGES until it almost hits the net! I was so frustrated and just COULDN"T play there at ALL. I don't know there must be something wrong with my eyes. They are very very sensitive. THey always go blurry. I thought the lighting in Kelly's place was good though in the air conditioned room. Some lighting is better than others. I can tell you my club in HKG which only has 2 courts has the best lighting anywhere for me. It's so well lit that it's quite beautiful, but that club has so much money and everything was custom designed and made to their exact specifications. Everything costs hundreds of thousands of dollars to get 2 perfect courts. Beautiful maple wood floors with a few layers of sponge like matting, suspension underneath and a Yonex mat on top of the wood floor, which is kept sooo clean all these years, and the best wall colors and perfect hanging lights that shine up and down. And AIR CON. They also have 2 very mean attendants that if you walk by them without signing in and paying for that days birdie use, they chase you down only 5 feet away from their desk. It's so funny. They are very good patrol ladies.

As for Drifit, I now understand why it's so popular in Asia. Asia is a hot and humid place a good place to wear drifit. I don't think it's so suitable in cooler climates cos once you get wet, it becomes very COLD and it doesn't dry as fast cos it's so cool and you just start to shiver until it dries which takes a long time. So on this side of the continent, I still prefer the cotton to absorb the sweat and then actually it dries fast cos the climate is so dry.

S[/quote]

15. meyni

meyni Regular Member

TEACHER
    yup, i also hope that Sally will open the GGBC3 IN Malaysia......we need an international badminton court.....many of our malaysia's badminton court are in poor ventilation.....my sweat drop drop drop.....until my eyes cant open....:mad::eek:

16. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    The "GG" in GGBC refers to "Golden Gate." Do you have any structures in JB resembling this?

-dave

17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    they can call it the PTBC, Petronas Towers Badminton Club!

18. Caryne Au

Caryne Au Regular Member

Did you mean JB as in Johor Bahru, south of Malaysia?JB has a causeway that was built to connect by road to Singapore.new causeway is called Tuas Causeway, ha...ha..you call it TCbc.
    Petronas Twin tower is in Kuala lumpur. No one use this name yet for a badminton club in KL. Someone come invest here open up an international STANDARD badminton club here and name it PTTBC, as suggested by kwun.

Cheers!
    Caryne

19. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Hi Sally
    Great to know to you are one of our VVVIP :eek:in BCers ;)

Sigit is great players with such a high quality of Endless smashed :) One of my idols too ;)

You really have fun enjoying badminton games.. :)
    Hopes to see you soon in HK open :)

Cheers,
    Samuel