Taufik's stamina

Discussion in 'India Open / Japan Open / Chinese Taipei Open / Ma' started by ye333, Oct 7, 2007.

1. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Actually when think about it, reaching 3 finals in a row is really impressive. If we compare:

Earlier this year, LD played German, All England and Swiss in a row, he didn't finish, got injured (partly due to fatigue should be a reasonable guess) in Swiss SF. LCW played one local tournament, Japan and Chinese Taipei in a row, got beaten by Simon Santoso in QF of the last one.

So TH's stamina should be OK. What is not OK is that his smashes are much much weaker than even last year, when he can constantly smash 290-300km/h (in 06 WC).

2. well-son

well-son Regular Member

I would also say that TH's stamina is OK, he is not too old yet (compare with Tony/Chandra or Nova or Peter Gade or many more...). At this age (around 26) usually many players reach or still in their peak performance, I think.

Reaching 3 finals in a row... proving that TH's stamina is just fine, just imagine high tight his matches againts LCW in JO and CJ in this MO. He could be win, but badly he lost in the very tight scores, both in rubber sets, as well as his match with SDK in CTO.

If he is now lack of energy, how could he manage to reach 3 finals in a row and played in those tight rubber sets? I think he can still play in 2-3 years more in high level.

3. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    I don't think stamina is such an obvious issue anymore in his 3 final losses. I think Taufik's game is studied well by all his opponents and his backhand smashes no longer a secret weapon that use to gain many easy points for him. Furthermore, his rivals have improved and more mature including Chen Jin, Lee Chong Wei, Lin Dan, Soni Kuncoro, Boonsak Bonsana, Ronald Susilo, Chen Yu ...
    It's just not easy to win any title from Gold or Super Series as big time players are participating on these 2 series to accumulate points for Olympic.
    The most important thing for Taufik now is not to get injure and keep his ranking within top 8 so he doesn't need to over-work before deep into the round and be fresh when the real challenge comes. Veteran Choon Hann learns a hard lesson playing against Bao and Chen Jin in successive days in rubber due to his low ranking of #16.
    Taufik may not win any title prior to Olympic but that doesn't stop him from winning the Olympic title twice. In Olympic, he doesn't need to face that many top notch players due to quota limitation per country hence his chance is greatly enhanced, so is Chong Wei.
    Isn't this exciting? I love this sport!!

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think the problem now is TH does not have powerful smashes as his big weapon anymore. Back last year, although he did not smash that many, but when he did, his smashes are lethal. They are so deceptive and powerful even LD can save only a few of them. This actually made his netplay more powerful since his opponents needed to worry more than just tight netshots.

After watching his recent play, I would say TH relied way too much on his netplay, due to his weak smashes. His game is becoming a bit boring to watch and things become simple for his opponents, if they are worried about TH's netshots, just lift/clear to the backline, then they are safe.

TH's jumpsmashes are also getting funny to watch. He is like at most 10cm in the air and then drop to the ground.

If he cannot get back some of his former smashpower, I would say his chance in OG08 is really slim.

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Absolutely agree. TH's smashes are less powerful and lethal and he had developed and matured into smart plays, deceptive shots and tight net drops. Yes, it's getting more predictable to read his shots compare to LD coz TH relies on his tight net and follows with jumping smashes. The problem is, his jumping smashes are less lethal now, and it panics and confuses his own game plan.

I do not see how TH will win OG08 if he doesnt improve his smashes coz he cant rely solely on tight net shots. Bear in mind that the probability to fail the tight net shots is high if he anticipates perfect net plays. Thats got to do with the 'feel' of the touch of the birdie and if TH misses few net shorts, he is doomed to fail and lose the game...

I still think LD's game is the most impressive in term of quality and variations. TH doesnt have the upper hand as he used to be, and with his temperamental game, he may lose to another "anup" or "wacha" in OG08. And to me, that's a nitemare...

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think some of u r emhasizing TH's smashing degradation too much. I think he still has decent smashes. Look at LD, he use to be a jumpsmashing machine but now he rallies way more than before. As mentioned by Han, TH's weapons are well studied now. LD, CJ, and BCL can beat TH now (dont know if chen yu had the pleasure beating TH yet). TH is still very dangerous if his opponent don't maintain his winning tactic. In 07 JO, i think TH could had won it (over LCW) if he didn't snap his string on match point.

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    Players now play more competitive badminton. More competitive play means improvement for all, just like lions and their prey today who are much improved specimens than lions and prey of old. Also the NSS and the Super Series play a part.

8. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

It's totally different. LD deliberately chooses to smash less now. But when he smashes, his smash is still as powerful as before. The efficiency of LD's smashes remains the same, if not higher. TH's problem is that his smashes are not efficient anymore. If you watch TH's matches in the latter half of 06, you can see although he did not have enough stamina to do many smashes, but when he smashed, it was lethal.

In 06 AG MSF, why LD fighted TH at the net? Maybe there was some ego factor, but the main reason I believe, is he really cannot afford to allow TH to comfortably smash. If you watch their AG group match, you can see that TH's smashes are as efficient as LD's (Yes I counted, one by one).

I basically don't buy the "well-studied" theory. TH has been using net area to win points for many years, and ppl (including very smart ones like PG, WCH and LD) have not realized, for all these years, that all they need to do is lifting the shuttle to the baseline? Ridiculous. The real reason is that TH used to have two weapons, delicate net + powerful smash, not any more.

9. fabcargo

fabcargo Regular Member

badminton
    Agree with YE333

Yes I agree with you. Its not his stamina but rather his power. Smashing power and explosiveness. Also the accuracy in his smashes.

Anyone????? ANy other ideas????

10. gundala

gundala Regular Member

private
    he just needs some extra lucks :) :)

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

why go back to 2006 AG when one can see how lethal taufik's forehand and backhand smash in MS final of JO against LCW on sept 16, 2007. Don't tell me taufik's power had degraded so much since only 3 weeks ago. Why dont u give credit to chen jin for making deep lift and great smash retrieval that make taufik's smash look ineffective instead?

"The real reason is that TH used to have two weapons, delicate net + powerful smash, not any more." How would u have known this if u didnt employ and buy the well studied theory?:rolleyes: God told you that in your dream? LOL

Anyway, I would chalk this up as another 'why taufik lost' long list of excuses, he has no power.:p

#11 cooler, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

TH's smashing in JO is visibly weaker than his smashes in 06. Just watch any 06 WC match, he actually smashed harder than LD, with a speed about 290 - 300km/h. Do you think his recent smashes are still around that speed?

In fact, since you mentioned, TH's smashing power indeed degraded through the 3 tournaments. Just watch his games against LCW, LHI, Sony, PSH and CJ consequtively and you will see. Attending 3 tournaments in a row has some effect, is that hard to accept?

13. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    TH coach forgot to get some leng lui Korean ladies to pump some gin-seng to TH...now come to think about it, after 3 sets I am half dead playing baddy and Cooler is still running like a chicken with its head cut off, hmmm, is it the ginseng strategy....hehehe!!!LOL!!:p

14. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I really don't understand what is your problem with TH. PG lost to many ppl these days, I would say the main reason is that he is not fast and powerful anymore. Same goes to WCH. Do you think these are "excuses"?

15. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

And..

..what could be the main reason for the supposedly "dropped" in his powerful smashes??..Is it because of:
    * lack of stamina/fitness?:confused:
    * lack of training?:confused:
    * he's getting older by the minute..:confused:
    * he's been playing in too many tourneys lately, which have drained his energy..:confused:
    * his opponents are reading & anticipating his smashes better??:confused:
    * or all of the above??..:p

#15 ctjcad, Oct 7, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2007
  16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

YES. Because taufik was deadly at the japan open only 3 weeks ago.
    why are you asking me to repeat my answer twice?

17. maryanne

maryanne Regular Member

The more basic reason for me is his lack of focus to clinch the win until the end. When things don't get his way, it seems to bother him too much and his over all play is already affected-- his smashes are weaker, his drops are not as poignant, and his choice of shots become predictable, which makes him go through a cycle of dissatisfaction with the outcome of his game, and thereby missing the goal of winning altogether.

Being in 3 consecutive finals is enough proof to show that his skills are still in tact, and he does not lack the stamina for these highly competitive tournaments. Dropping the 2nd set against Sony at the Taiwan Open, just like that without exerting an effort to recover is not exactly the best path to take if you want to win. If it is true that he was fuming over the alleged tipping of the shuttlecock by CJ during the Macau Open, then, that may be another factor. At their level of play, skill becomes secondary. Consistency through focusing on winning spells the difference

He is undoubtedly one of the best players of his time, but it seems that he is struggling within himself too much, which makes him miss the opportunity to beat his opponents

Even the young CJ did not let his frustration get the better of him, when he made a service error on the last crucial points of his match w/ WCH in the semi finals. That kind of mindset made the difference in clinching matchpoint-- not a stronger smash, not a better stamina, or not even luck

18. bic33

bic33 Regular Member

TH has recorded a 300kmh jumpsmash in JO... watch the one with the english commentary... i heard it there... anyhow, the best thing to do is to ask taufik why his smashes are getting weaker...that way, you'll get the answer first hand... :D

19. Hitman71

Hitman71 Regular Member

My guess is TH is trying to collect as much ranking point for himself and at the same time try not to get injured. Yes his smashes are not as hard as before, but I doubt that he actually have lost that skill.

20. RSLdude

RSLdude Regular Member

Manager
    the main enemy now of TH is himself. if he wants to win, he needs to overcome his "inner self" first. ;)