Football 2007/2008

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by wilfredlgf, Aug 11, 2007.

1. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    ... or the tourney commentary threads. :(

2. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Ok , Liverpool got 18 of em' league titles. How many does your United got?? 15? ;)

United, I know is finding it tough to win in Europe. Jagoh kampung macam tu la.

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

haha, the pic is really funny.... BTW, taufik, where do you get those pic??:confused::rolleyes:

4. gundala

gundala Regular Member

private
    hey pemuda..

i'm liverpool fan too.. but i've been frustated to see the reds always suffer in domestic league.. soccer competion is different with badmiton competion...

in soccer(england) jaguh kampung is better, the local fans will be happier if their team win the domestic league ,they have contributed alot to the club by buying season tickets, they must demand their team to win domestic league more and more :D

5. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    i found it in a football forum... i don't remember its url :D

6. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    wow, it's getting really busy in here!

Another good weekend for Arsenal as well as both the red and blue sections of manchester. I have to say, biased though I am, the 3-2 scoreline flattered Sunderland.

So we've got Arsenal fans, ManuU fans and Liverpool fans. Any others?

7. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Chelsea fans aren't brave enough to come out to speak about their glorious last three years of history. ;)

8. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    AJAX ! AJAX ! :D:D

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You Never Walk Alone, dude!! ;)

Dont worry, Liverpool will rise again. We got the history 18 league titles and 5 European Cups. No English team can match that.

Benitez is a good coach and I agree with his rotation policy. However, we need to reinforce our defence a bit more. We need another centreback as Hypia is getting old.

10. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    The Mancs are getting a little too close for comfort (2 away) and will match or surpass that count unless we improve.

Oftimes I wonder if Rafa had been a little over tactical in the game compared to his compatriots at Arsenal and Man Utd (Avram who?), forgetting to actually attack and fight towards a goal rather than opening lots of chances and having little chances. I'd believe that the standard of football is highly technical in Spain but it's a lot faster, physical and direct in England.

Still, we'll see what happens in May - we might be having a pretty torrid time (Aye, we're not too far from the top and is unbeaten) but we always have that late surge of form that would've won us the league if it began then.

11. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I have a lot of faith in Benitez. His cautious approach is typical of the today's modern game. I believe to be successful, you need to build from the defence up. Look at how successful the Italian and Spanish teams are in Europe.

Yes, English football is faster and direct and I think thats the downfall of English teams in Europe. You need technical and tactical discipline, and I think these are the areas England and English clubs are lacking as compared to the Germans, Italians and Spanish.

Give Benitez sometime, and soon we will see Liverpool dominating again.

12. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    That has always been the case, mate. When your defence is solid and reliable, the midfield and forwards can spend more time building attacks than chasing the opposition to get the ball back.

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

451 thats my preferred formation.
    5 across midfield with a holding midfielder screening the back four.
    Torres as the lone man upfront with either Kuyt/Voronin in a slightly withdrawn role supporting him.

----------------Reina----------
    Finnan---- Carragher ----Agger---- Arbeloa
    --------------Mascherano-------------
    Benayoun------ Gerrard----------- Riise
    ---------------------Kuyt-------------
    ---------------Torres---------------

This would be my ideal formation for home games. For away games, especially in the Champions League, I will withdraw Kuyt and replace him with Alonso as a centre midfielder alongside Gerrard.

It wont be pretty to watch, and I think we will be winning most games with a 1-0 margins. But heck, as long as we win, I be happy.

#193 Pemuda, Oct 11, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  14. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Hey, winning ugly is fine with me. 3 points is all that counts at the end of the day.

Arsenal seem to be the current team with the right balance at the moment, combining both attack and defense well.

We'll see how they'll do when the key players in Adebayor, Toure will leave for the African Nations Cup.

Pompey might feel the pinch the most as their great early season form was down to the likes of Muntari, Benjani, Kanu, Mwarurari(sp?) and Utaka.

15. crosscourt

crosscourt Regular Member

Legal
    Do you think Torres would fit in this formation? The problem with being the lone striker is that you always get the ball with your back to goal and then have to turn. Normally when teams play 1 up front they play a big man who'll hold the ball up until the midfield can push up. Personally I think that Torres wouldn't play well in that position and would need a strike partner to play alongside him. I have to stress that I haven't seen that much of Torres though.

16. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Torres had been playing in such role for as long as he's been a Liverpool player, with either Kuyt or Voronin buzzing around him. His role is that of one sitting on the shoulder of the last defender and using his pace to charge towards goal.

Rafa's team formation is pretty fluid with players able to change positions depending on the situation in an almost semi-total football style like the one he had at Valencia, hence his liking for signing versatile players who can fit into many positions.

It might look like 4 - 4 - 2 now, but it could become 3 - 4 - 3 the next minute, then 4 - 3 - 3 and even 5 - 4 - 1 off the ball.

17. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I would say yes. The main essense to play a lone striker upfront is speed. And Torres has tons of it. Torres is strong and can hold the ball up and is very quick on the turn, and to me this is the key. With Kuyt providing the link up between midfield and attack and Gerrard bombing forward each time Liverpool has the ball, Liverpool can very quickly hit their opponents with a quick counter attack. Both Kuyt and Gerrard has pace to go along to support Torres upfront as well.

I dunno about playing two upfront. It sort of takes away some weight in midfield. Having 5 across the middle will squeeze out your opponents, leaving them very little space and time on the ball. And I believe today's football is about hitting your opponents on the break.

18. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

this week ENGLAND vs ESTONIA in the euro qualifier.... England should be no problem taking 3 points from this match but i hope that Estonia will snatch 1 point in this match:D:D:p...
    wats you guys prediction? who will start between Barry and Lampard?
    wats the right choice for steve mclaren?:confused::rolleyes:;)

19. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Barry should start with Gerrard in the middle. Lampard is -beep-.

20. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Should be a walk in the park for England.
    Barry should start.
    Hmmm I would say a 2-0 win for England