becoming a pro player

Discussion in 'Thomas Laybourn Forum' started by olle_whitehead, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

Sandakan,Sabah, M'sia.. currently in Auckland, New
    hi nickchan ... im staying in north shore..and the obviously the clubs i joined r in north shore. we play in north harbour badminton court as tht's the only badminton court in north shore. th court is istuated in forest hill.

2. TLCal

TLCal Regular Member

Ryan, I like the last sentence so much!!! Anything can happen if you're willing to do so, no doubt!!! Ryan, I think I've seen you on court before, :cool: it's great that you can train 8 hours a day:rolleyes: I love to do that but I just don't get enough time:p . (approximately I am training 4+ hrs a day, 7 days/week at UnitedBadmintonClub for little bit less than a year now) My coach Zhou Lei has encouraged/supported me a lot, besides physical/technical training, she constantly shared/me the road to her proessional career; what amount of hard works spent to achieve her world champion title; given me tons of great experiences that I couldn't seek for elsewhere! I also have the same goal with you that is to become a professional one day and the champion in U.S. I guess from now on I have to increase my hours on training otherwise next time when I meet you on court, I may lose badly:D :D

Let's all work hard and achieve our goals together!!

Heng

3. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

nothing is impossible in this world. I read Eddy Choong's article and it says: if you want to be a school champion, you have to spend 1 hour x 3 session per week to train.
    To be a state champion, it takes 5 hours x 4 session per week. To be a national champion, it takes 6 hours x 5 session per week. and to be world champion, you have to spend even more time for the training.

4. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

yes this is all very well and good and i'm well aware that if i spend X amount of hours on court then i stand a good chance of being a top player some day

but of course this comes at cost of around $40 NZ dollars an hour now if people are saying that i should be on court for 5 hours 5times a week then that works out to be $200 NZ dollars a day and $1000 NZ dollars a week so thats $52,000 a year and with the average wage being $25,000 NZ dollars and me being a poor student oddly i cant afford to become a pro the easiest way so that was why I started this thread to find out if anyone had some loop holes to becoming a Pro player

P.S i would appreciate if people didn't HI-JACK my thread thank you

5. Syndrome_B

Syndrome_B Regular Member

IT
    There is no easy route to becoming a pro player. It may amount to lots of dollars and lots of pain to endure during practice, but nevertheless self fulfilling. You have to invest money, time and patience if you want to achive your goals. But remember, you've got to get fit to play badminton rather than play it to get fit. Lack of money is not a reason not to pursue your dreams, its a matter of how creative you are in finding ways. If I were you, try to do OFFCOURT conditioning , to include, biking, running or jogging or marathon or any activities that can help improve your stamina and legwork. , Then if you already have a decent raquet, pick up at least 3 shuutle and do some walling for 15 to 30 min every other day, this exercise will improve your wrist power and eye coordination. Then do some aerobics at the comfort of your home, lets say 1 hr a week to improve agility. then insert light weight training or preventive strength training to avoid injuries, you dont need to lift too much pounds but you will have to increase repetitions per sessions, for example, i do calf raising 3 sets of 20 with a weights around my waist, so i can improve my jump smash.
    You can create your own workout routine, design them like a game, do them religiusly, and take note, these are just examples of offcourt conditioning. You can also regulary watch videos of pros playing, take some video instructions, watch local competitions. etc
    You can also do your footwork exercises or shadow drills at the comfort of your own home or garden.
    There are so many posibilities even if you are poor. Dont make being poor as an excuse..If you reaaly want to afford coaching fees, then try saving money little by little on a daily basis. Doing offcourt conditioning can reaaly bring great results. All you have to realize is that you have to embrace POSSIBILITY THINKING.
    Hope to see you guys on court!

6. olle_whitehead

olle_whitehead Regular Member

it gave me great pleasure to read your post for at the moment i am already doing alot of off court activities like i am running daily i do alot of biking (simply because i enjoy it) and i do heaps of footwork drills (NZ has alot of open fields) and i even bought myself a badders net so i could practise returning simple shots like blocks

i think the only thing i'm not doing is watching pros on video and doing wieghts but i can assure you i am if i dare say so myself in excellane physical shape but what i am lacking is time ON court if only i can get this sorted i will well on my way to achieving my dream

for the on court situation i have asked around so see if anything is happening over the summer (yes its summer in the southern hemisphere) and i have got myself involved in some summer clubs and i have also implemented a suggestion on hear of doing my coaching badges so for the next seaon (around March) i will be helping out some juniors which will improve my basic shots

but as many true badders players know you never want to leave court which is why i kept this thread open just incase anyone has any further ideas

7. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    You should get hold of some Chinese dvds or vcds on the techniques and fundamentals of badminton. They teach you the way and techniques the Chinese national players play. Although you may not understand Mandarin you will get the big picture.
    For example they explain the 3 ways of imparting power unto your strokes and 6 ways of using the wrist snap. Also explained are the complete footwork, the 3 variations of going foreward towards the net, 2 variations of covering low or flat shots on your sides, 2 variations of taking the shuttle high on your sides, 2 to 3 variations of footwork playing the around-your-head stroke, 3-4 variations of covering the extreme back forehand corner for low and high shots, and 2-3 variations of taking a backhand stroke. Also covered is how to handle and smash down a flick serve in doubles when standing near the front service line. Then they explain in great detail all the strokes, from how to serve, how to receive a serve, etc covering 7 hours. Also covered are the basic strategies/tactics (1 hour), physical training, injuries, and prevention of injuries (2 hours+).
    With these knowledge your coaching sessions with your coach will become more productive.

8. Syndrome_B

Syndrome_B Regular Member

IT
    Act like a Hero

When i do jumpsmash, i think of myself as Peter Gade or Lin Dan or sometimes Lee Chong Wei, when playing doubles, i imagine Tony Gumawan as my partner..by wathcing videos, u can absorb how they think and play esp during winning moment..You dont just admire them on tv but you are being inspired deep within, giving the idea that that your dream is definitely achievable..Taneepak is right! watching fundamentals lessons in dvd esp from chinese players like Zhao can be tagged along with your sessions.

9. Jaireh

Jaireh Regular Member

None
    I too wanna be a good badminton player. i still have no badminton coach by i want a coach to train me. i'm still not good even when smashing. i can't make it a drop-shot. and i can't control wheather my hit should not be too high so that the opppnent will not be able to smash. maybe u can help le with this..

10. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    I'm Zhi Wei, 17 this year...currently a player representing school !!! I got a dream of becoming a national player just like all of u here, but my dreams are always objected by my parents !!! they go against me, ask me to focus more on studies, but somehow my studies are not that good either, so i would want to give a try on my luck !!!

Currently i train once a week, 2 hrs, In schools i play around 4 hrs, and dis year, i managed to achieve Doubles Champion in school...started playing badminton at the age of 14...

Can i still make it??? Can i?? I been doing all these physical exercise, shadows footwork and shuttle drills against the wall everyday, but currently due to some MAJOR EXAMs, i was unable to resume my normal training sessions...until December...is it possible for me to stil catch up???

Btw, Dimitri, How long will u be in Malaysia, if got chance i would like to have a match with u and gain some advice and experience from u...

11. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    it's all about politics if you want to go pro...you gotta know people...gotta have connections...gotta have the dough....it's really tough in fact, for a regular person to make the jump....now it's not utterly impossible...it's more improbable...for someone to get all the money through sponsors, through working or anymeans....to count all the travel costs and tournament costs....coaching costs, court costs...food, living arrangements...and even when you do make it...the lifestyle is probably something you wouldn't expect...to earn less than you spend...to have little to no recognition beyond your own city etc...it's a tough life, even though you aspire to be it...maybe deep down, you're just looking to have recognition or fame, and that too comes with connections...there are only a handful of people that ever get to live this lifestyle...and it's hard for someone to say it, maybe even depressing, but sometimes it's time to face reality and see how utterly impossible it is...now i'm not saying give up...hell, i'm not giving up and i'm still training with bad knees a wrecked wrist and limited resources and going to university at the same time...but there comes a time when you have to realize how hard it actually is, even in a non-traditional badminton country...you'll be suprised at how many other people in your region/country that strive for the same...but good luck! and i hope you make it!

12. Paulet jr

Paulet jr Regular Member

student
    you didnt answer the question of are you either oliver pike or oli leyton-davies, cos if you are either of them, i have played you at either JB or CP haha

13. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Erm...im malaysian???
    Haha XD
    well....nice to meet u guys...i know it will be living hard to be a national player...u sacrifice everything...everything, including time !!!
    Well..at times sacrifices must be made to achieve something in life...thats why this world is so unfair...

14. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    I want to be a pro too.
    I admit that I am a stupid and naive 16 year old. Aiming for crazy goals. I only started training the beginning of this year. I am a dreamer. I think I am crazy.
    but just like anyone here, including ZhiWei, my msn friend, we hold on to this ambition. For me, everytime I considered giving up, a hunch told me to carry on. But hopefully with out burning passion we will make it.

15. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

well.. inever give up enev though my dad stopped (banned) me from badminton. But since i came to nz..hoho..i took this chance to develop my game..even though im not really a pro player..thanl god coz my coach gave me chances to play in some small open tourny here in nz..well he did gave me a chance to join quite a big 1.. the nz open, which was also my 1st international tourny i've ever join before. He said just enjoy the game, gain some experince, and learn from other players from overseas. I was supposed to play under nz..but im not a citizen here..so i ended up putting on a malaysian shirt. I'm happy enough to be in the last 32 as i got BYE in the 1st round.so basicly i was beaten in the 1st round by 1 talented jap player...with all my hardwork and by not giving up until my dad "gives up" coz he couldnt stop me anymore, i ended up like so......

[​IMG]

so guys.. girls.. don give up..it doesnt matter when did u started to play..it's all about hardwork and conffidence :)

P/S : Im not really a good player(and also not an official m'sia player)..as u can u know from above..i was not allowed to play under nz..tht's good enough for so long i can enjoy and experience the feel of play in some tourny where some of my frens cheering for me and watch by some other audience.

#35 dimitri, Oct 15, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2007
  16. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

hey, you took part in the NZ oPen is it?? in the draw i cant found your name.... here is the draw

17. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Hmm...its quite sensible...yy_ling, i guess its not time to give up eventhough we are so old...the thing we need now is really the hard work and effort to catch up with the pro's !!!
    The days are still long...so we must try hard !!!
    Thx to u Dimitri, btw u coming back to Malaysia for further studies or extra training??

18. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

hehe..tht was bcoz im not registered in IBF (same as the jap guy who beat me..who was gonna play for nz but he has gone back to jp).. :) My coach did something to put me into the tourny (or should i say..somthing naughty?) :p

#38 dimitri, Oct 16, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2007
  19. dimitri

dimitri Regular Member

erm..holidays maybe..? hehe..need to wait for the reply from uni..i'm looking forward to train in klrc if possible..hehe..:)

20. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    LOL...dimitri, i hope we will meet someday, but with my skills, i think i'm a trash to u, but i will give my best !!!
    Hope i can learn some tips and skills from u too...or maybe some strategies and tactics on court...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.