French Open 2007 - Day 1 - Oct 30 - Qualifying

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by oyl928, Oct 29, 2007.

1. stork

stork Regular Member

-
    Maybe this one is good to know! But how does it sound like, especially ngm...?

2. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    wo----zai------liao--------dong kim. (hokkien)
    I-----know----already----now

3. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    JUN Jae Youn (1) lost to LEE Yun Hwa 15-21 16-21 in the Qualifying round.

4. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    "ngm" is like hmm but a very short one.

5. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Never mind if u can't understand. It's 2:51am and I'm going to sleep now.

6. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    Lee Yun Hwa beat JJY !:crying: The biggest upset of the day !! :eek:

#46 samuel882, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  7. tohcsh

tohcsh New Member

Dog Training Consultant
    hee hee lee lang jiah ho jioh la. (hokkien)
    hee hee you guys are so funny.:D
    Can't wait for the matches to start today.:cool:

8. niepan

niepan Regular Member

I was surprised at the first glance, mistaking JJY for JIANG Yanjiao from CHN...:eek:

9. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Not surprising.In her loss to XXF (in MCO?), it was quite obvious she will have a hard time against tall players. She needs to rectify her footwork if she's to have any chance against tall players.She also lost easily to ZM.

10. niepan

niepan Regular Member

One time I predicted that JUN Jae Youn would be a great threat to Chinese lady's singles. It seems now my prediction can't turn true...

11. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Don't worry about your lack of comprehension. Just enjoy LD's titles the way you like it.

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

INTERNATIONAUX DE FRANCE – Kick off day in Paris

[​IMG]For the first time in many years, Paris is welcoming all the best players in world in the Hall Pierre de Coubertin, named for the man who gave the Olympic Games a second birth. Even though the hall could be seen as a little small compared to Asian stadiums, today the French crowd made up for it by cheering loudly for their favourite players.

By Tarek Hafi, Badzine Correspondent. Photos (live) : Badmintonphoto

The French crowd – apart from their own shuttlers who didn’t survive the qualifying rounds - enjoyed the impressive Korean team, which appeared in the qualification draws, led by some big names such as Lee Hyun Il (pictured), Lee Jae Jin and Jun Jae Youn.

All of them have now qualified for the main draw except for Jun Jae Youn, who lost against none other than her compatriot Lee Yun Hwa. The latter took her revenge for her defeat in the first round of the Denmark Open last week. But all the Korean team were as frustrated as Jae Youn, as the people in charge of giving the accreditation wrote the wrong country onto their passes and all had to wait another hour to see their passes given.

A few months ago, nobody could have guessed that these former top players would have to go through qualifications, as there level is great enough to belong to the top 20 in the world ranking. Former world number one Lee Hyun Il, had to leave for the army at one point and spent a few months of this year in "temporary retirement" while Jun Jae Youn suffered from a severe injury last year and both are now struggling to get their tickets for the Olympics.

New Goals for the French Open

“We started from scratch, nobody was really optimistic.”

[​IMG]The French Open underwent a major change after being, for many years, a grade A tournament and eventually being included in the Super Series circuit, one of the twelve most important tournaments in the world. Philippe Siat, Vice President of the French Federation in charge of communication, helped to make this dream come true. Originally, the idea of a Super Series in Paris came with the project “Paris 2012” in order to get the Olympic Games in France, “Firstly we wanted to grow step by step, with a four star event,” then, with the birth of the Paris 2012 project, the French Federation decided to submit their bit for the Super Series and the World Championships in 2010. And “we finally managed to get both!” said Phillipe Siat as he wants now to see France clearly under the spotlight and playing a bigger role in the International scene.

With the major change in status for the event, came a few management problems on this first day, such as transportation and logistics troubles, but players and officials already had their minds into the game and the beautiful city of lights, which was shining under the sun this Tuesday.

Incredible matches are now on the cards as Lin Dan is set to play Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the first round – a rematch of the World Championship final. As for Lee Chong Wei, who got injured in Denmark, he was said to be willing to play, according to our latest information.

13. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, it can be done and LD has been beaten before.

If LCW is in peak form and barring any injuries or other mishaps on the court, it is of course possible for him to defeat LD as it is very difficult for a player to remain in peak form throughout the year and for all the SS. Look at LD's SS record and I'm sure you'll find some dents here and there. Remember too that LD has expressed admiration for TH's skills as well, which suggests that he feels TH is a strong opponent who can also beat him.

If a player cannot finish off LD's compatriots along the way to the final, that player does not deserve to be the champion. One can also argue that having one's teammates to help clear the path for him right up to the semi finals may not be to LD's advantage as he should be able to beat his compatriot, having been so familiar with his opponent's game through many hours of training together. On a lucky day, his compatriot may even beat LD for a place in the final instead!

So for LCW and TH to put LD out is certainly possible! :rolleyes:

#53 Loh, Oct 30, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2007
  14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Loh, so sarcastic these days ? How can you be so sure (I thought I am the only one of a few sure of LCW's capabilities)?

Now I can tell that you are going to say I am a bad influence on you.:D

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Give credit when credit is due. LCW deserves credit! So does TH.

But my friend, you have jumped to the conclusion that was not what I intended. I never said LCW is sure to beat LD. I said it is possible!

Unfortunately, LCW just like LD and TH, is human and is not expected to be perfect all the time. Did I not say that LD cannot maintain peak form throughout? This goes the same for LCW and TH, the latter perhaps a greater culprit than the other talented shuttlers. :D

16. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

And I did not claim that you said LCW is sure to beat LD. 'Just possible' is already a big thing coz I have not heard you said it before.:D Anyway, you can tell I was only 'ribbing' you -- not serious lah, only serious about the beer at Clarke Quay that you said you were going to buy us (me and somebody else). And don't tell me I forgot who is supposed to buy !

17. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    In fact, Jun Jae Youn was the former Asian Champion and she has beaten Zhou Mi as 1st singles at Uber Cup years back. It will be great if Jun can come back in form to challenge CHN.

18. BlaZe

BlaZe Regular Member

i'm sorry if i seemed rude about the LD team advantage post, i realized when re-reading my post i was making a generality out of your comment and that could be offensive.

I actually understand very well what you mean, but i was thinking there is a limit to this. I hope you got my point and that you slept well;)

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    As I've said, LD can be beaten.

This time, it was Bao Chunlai who cleared the path for LCW instead! :D:D:D

Quote from my previous post:

"If a player cannot finish off LD's compatriots along the way to the final, that player does not deserve to be the champion.

One can also argue that having one's teammates to help clear the path for him right up to the semi finals may not be to LD's advantage as he should be able to beat his compatriot, having been so familiar with his opponent's game through many hours of training together.

On a lucky day, his compatriot may even beat LD for a place in the final instead!"