French Open 2007 - Day 2 - Oct 31 - Round 1

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by vching, Oct 30, 2007.

1. badMania

badMania Regular Member

No Danish pair left in the R16 :eek: Tadashi Ohtsuka/Keita Masuda have beaten Lars Paaske/Jonas Rasmussen in rubber-sets :eek:

2. well-son

well-son Regular Member

Your wish come true :).
    Hope the best for AG/Joko.

3. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Were you there watching in the stadium??

4. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

wow,:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: very surprise that wong mew choo create an upset by beating wang chen in straight sets....
    hope that she can wain her match 2day n go to the QF...
    btw, i`m very happy that kkk/tbh n Lee chong wei won their match...:):)
    LCW need juz 30 mins to win the match...

5. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Fallen Seeds

Mixed Doubles
    HWANG Yu Mi/LEE Jae Jin beat Donna KELLOGG/Anthony CLARK [7] 21-17 21-12

Men's Singles
    Boonsak PONSANA beat CHEN Hong [6] 24-22 13-21 21-12

Women's Singles
    Ella DIEHL beat ZHU Lin [3] 19-21 21-15 21-17
    YIP Pui Yin beat YAO Jie [8] 21-12 21-19
    WONG Mew Choo beat WANG Chen [5] 21-14 21-8

Men's Doubles
    Sudket PRAPAKAMOL/Phattapol NGENSRISUK beat Jens ERIKSEN/Martin LUNDGAARD HANSEN [6] 11-21 21-16 21-17
    Tadashi OHTSUKA/Keita MASUDA beat Lars PAASKE/Jonas RASMUSSEN [8] 16-21 21-17 21-16

6. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

I watched the match, there were at least 3 line calls reversed by the umpire in favor of the English pair. The 2 pairs got into a heated eye to eye fight.:eek: The Malaysian pair would shout each time the score and the English pair so annoyed.:mad:
    The 3rd set speaks for itself. :)

7. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

I guess there were a lot at stake. Beating the champs is everyone's dream and so when you are in a tight situation, sparks will fly. Too bad for the English pair and congratulation to the Malaysian champs.

8. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

It was really a tough day for the MS players who advanced from the qualifying round. Each one has to win 3 matches the day before and go to the main draw to face the "giants". The matches schedules are too close making them too exhausted.
    Among the qualifiers, one player really has impressed me, POOMPAT S. from Thailand. Very promising young player. Too bad he has to play Bao Chun Lai in round 1. Even then, his performance was remarkable. Surely he is a player to go places. Keep it up!:)

9. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

In all sports, the rule is: The one who gets annoyed lose composure and focus, the other becomes victorious.:)

10. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

hahaha, ok the Brit lost their cool and lost, is that it ? That is something Tan Kim Her couldn't teach them not to do.

11. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

I sure you perfectly know the kind of sound KKK makes each time they score, plus the stare.:D

12. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    Congratz to WMC...She did a great job..Good luck!!:)
    CH n 3 China WS players was eliminated??bad news to Chn..

#1032 Felicia_txh, Nov 1, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2007
  13. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    the trick is to stare right back even more menacingly... thats what I saw Cai Yun do....

14. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

KKK does it better plus the annoying sound...:p

15. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    wooh, wooh, awooooooooooooooooooooohhh..............like that???:D:D:D:D

16. fastdrop

fastdrop Regular Member

I rest my case.:)

17. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

That is the call of wolves in the wild ! He is a wild 'animal when he wants to' !:D It adds to the fear he drums into his opponents - he unsettles them with that call.;)

18. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader

19. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    how old is poompat anyway??

20. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

from, badzine...

[​IMG]Big matches were scheduled in Pierre de Coubertin Hall. The newly reborn “Internationaux de France” has been successful in terms of crowds, with all the top players playing their heart out to win their matches. The match of the day was - as expected - a win for Lin Dan, but Sony Dwi Kuncoro, proved that in the future, it could be another story.

Hafi Tarek, Live in Paris. Photos : Badmintonphoto (Live)

As expected, the match of the day was as tense as its predecessor, three months ago. And the French crowd didn’t miss the chance to watch their own “world championship final” as Lin Dan met Sony Dwi Kuncoro in the very first round of the “Internationaux de France in Paris”. Both came earlier in the day in order to warm up. Lin Dan chose to practice his skills whereas Sony was just stretching up because of his back injury. Then at nine o’clock sharp, they were called onto the court.

From the beginning, Lin Dan put a lot of pressure on his opponent with impressive high jump smashes and tiring rallies. But the Indonesian, who is having his best season ever, didn’t let his chance to shine in front of a cheerful French crowd slip away. Therefore he matched the Chinese player’s pace and even came out on top at 11-8 in the first half of the game. However, the Chinese didn’t look as nonchalant as he sometimes does and he proved that the energy left in his win last week in Denmark wasn’t a handicap. After putting more speed into the rallies and making Sony run around all the corners, he eventually won the first game thanks to a fantastic smash at 21-18.

The actual World Championship final had been won in straight games by Lin Dan, but Sony wouldn’t go down without a bigger fight this time, and he played much better in the second game with few unforced errors. He immediately took the lead 7-1. The world champion didn’t look as calm as he had been, showing his anger and pumping his fist after each of his points, the world number one, got back into the game and eventually took a 16-15 lead.

After this tiring run, Lin Dan's smashes became less effective and Sony used this to level up and win the second game. However, the Indonesian was totally down during the rubber game. “At 19-18, Sony hurt his back and then onwards, he couldn’t play well,” Sony’s coach, Hendrawan, told Badzine. The last game went to Lin Dan as Sony couldn’t really move because of his painful back. Lin Dan eventually won 21-8. When asked about how he felt meeting such a tough opponent in the first round, Lin said “That's just the Super Series. I expected it. I had prepared well for this event and this particular match.”

[​IMG]Taufik: “It’s hard for the moment, I’m always playing overseas”

Taufik Hidayat struggled against Canada’s player Andrew Dabeka. The top Indonesian men’s single player had to fight physically and mentally to get through three hard games to get into the second round. Andrew decided to play Taufik on his main weapon, net play. It almost worked in the first game as he gave Taufik a lot of trouble, getting him very frustrated. However, Indonesia’s sweetheart eventually won the first game with a little margin, 21-17. The Canadian player just kept on his game, and it finally worked until he led the game 16-8 after Taufik got more and more angry.

Afterward, Taufik’s confidence came back and helped him to catch up with the score until 15-13. But Andrew’s efforts to get Taufik nervous worked, and he won the second game 21-13. The whole French crowd were deeply cheering for Taufik as it was the first time they had welcomed him on French soil, and it helped him to get back into the match, even though Dabeka’s confidence grew up a step further as they both matched each other’s pace. An upset was in the making, but Taufik’s talent and patience get through that battle and he eventually won 21-19 in the rubber game, even if the Olympic champion had trailed 13-17. “I had problems getting adjusted to the conditions here and it was a tough match. I hope I can play better tomorrow and keep my world ranking in the top 8, which is my main target” said Hidayat.

Later in the day, Peter Gade won in straight games against Ronald Susilo, but the surprise of the day came with the defeat of World Champion Zhu Lin of China by Ella Karachkova (now Diehl).