French Open 2007 - Day 4 - Nov 2nd - Quarter-finals

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by robin7, Nov 1, 2007.

1. damouse

damouse Regular Member

It's a bit shocking and definitely sad that Koo/Tan lost but at the same time, I think we shouldn't be too negative and start bashing them - saying that fame has gone to their heads, etc etc etc. True or not, they really have been one of our more consistent pairs, and in the world of badminton (and any sport), there's always been winners and losers. Someone had to lose, and if Koo/Tan was slightly off form while Ohtsuka/Masuda were brilliant with their form, then they would emerge victorious.

Even world #1, world champs will fall sometimes. I mean remember when the Koo/Tan won the Doha gold medal and Malaysian Open and All England? They were the "new and unheralded" pair then and beat so many top pairs en route to their win. I'm sure the Indonesian/Chinese/Danish press and supporters didn't start bashing their players when they lost to Koo/Tan so as Malaysian fans, we should stick by them rather than criticizing them after a loss.

I still remain a avid supporter of Koo/Tan although I do hope they will do better in the next tourney.

2. ben95

ben95 Regular Member

studient
    Japenese pair were most than exhausted. One of them have had a faintness (probably hypoglycemia). She couldn't walk and stay lengthened on the floor (at least 5mn) and Polii was limping.

All of them were very, very tired since the middle of the 2nd game. None of them couldn't smash anymore and rallies were mostly clear, clear, clear.... and clear

I am not sure that the indo can play tomorrow. Congrats to all the four ladies. They went beyond their physical limits.

Concerning KKK/TBH it's a pity they lose like that but let me tell you that japenese victory isn't a fluke. They have an iron defense and are very sharp at the net.

Honestly, KKK/TBH were in total control in the first set, but japenese manage to increase their level in the second + KKK/TBH were making somes errors.

3. ben95

ben95 Regular Member

studient
    This is a mistake. Believe me, there were some smashes ;)
    In the first set TH made to many errors especially at the end. Then he raced alone in the second with good agressive play. He was up to ten points ahead.
    Then I though he would take the second but his stamina left him and LD made a strong come back.

IMO Taufik was too tired. 3 lost finales + danish open => too much for him. He needs to rest a bit.

I'm so sad, PG lost :crying: :crying:. Hopefully, CTF/LWW broke the curse and beat MK/HS :)

4. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Poor sportsmanship is a strong word. I would say they lost due to their silliness and bad luck....

5. ben95

ben95 Regular Member

studient
    Yes, you could and all malaysians could be proud of Koo/Tan. I think this sentence:
    summarizes exactly the situation. Koo/Tan weren't at their very top form in the second and third game while the japenese were totally on fire.
    I'm a little bit sad for them because of the umpire mistake. I hope they don't think that the crowd dislike them or something like that.

This is the same situation than the Kido/Setiawan match against the polish pair yesterday. Indos totally controlled the first game and then polish guys plays better in second and third game. Indos were not at their very top level and in parallel, the polish pair play very well with strong defense and very clever lifts.

But this time, no problem with the net so indos won :D

6. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Hey ben, hows LCW's knees during the match against CYK yesterday?

7. erin_hakkinen

erin_hakkinen Regular Member

Business Student
    Yayyyyyyyyyy............CTF/LWW bt Markis/Hendra!!!!
    (yannie .. :D :D )

8. ben95

ben95 Regular Member

studient
    Sorry, i don't follow his match cause their were MD playing (or other MS i don't really remember).

9. yannie

yannie Regular Member

Means Erin beats Mei Ying :rolleyes:

#2049 yannie, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  10. spchu

spchu Regular Member

Again I look on the bright side, we (Malaysians) have a team to cheer on in the semis rather than dont know which camp to sit on?

11. ixory

ixory Regular Member

wow..sad to hear this..:(,from beginning i feel something bad will happen to kkk/tbh when facing Jpn pair and it's happened,but i should give credit to Jpn pair.Most of JPN point come from net which i think KKK/TBH advantage.Today just not kkk/tbh day.Haih,nvm hope they'll find a solution how to defeat Japan pair next time.Anyway thanks fastdrop for u report..

12. carol91

carol91 Regular Member

Student
    I AGREED !!!!!!! Nvr bash dem when they lose.. when da 1st tim fu/cai falls 2 kk/bh in DOHA, is oso the same as now, kk/bh falls 2 the Japanese.. They r now the pair to beat.. Every1 is aiming to beat them now..
    Some how, kk havin blister. Mayb nt yet fully recover, or it bcum worse after Dennark Open. So, v shud support them all the way..

13. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Kudos to the Japanese pair for beating Koo and Tan.

Kudos to Koo and Tan for putting up a good fight.

Regarding the situation, Koo and Tan should NOT have told the umpire. They did the correct thing. In badminton tactical play, if you admit that the opponent is correct, according to some books I've read, it gives the opponent newfound confidence. That is why sometimes even good sportsmen, when they saw a shot that went in their favour although its blatantly obvious the call is bad, keeps quiet. That is not bad sportsmenship, that is tactical mind games, and it is unfortunate the crowd turned against Koo and Tan.

However, this defeat is only a temporary setback. THey will return strongly again next tournament, just like after the WC. Guys, don't bash them. They've tried their hardest. Just put yourself in their shoes...

Besides, the bright side of things, like someone mentioned: We know who to cheer for today :D

14. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Well, i still think they should tell the umpire. However, in the new scoring system especially in tight games, its understandable. But 1 thing for certain, the umpire is an idiot!

#2054 zqloy, Nov 2, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  15. carol91

carol91 Regular Member

Student
    in tennis oso same. world no.1 can falls..

16. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    come on. i think they did a good job. came back from a slump. became world no 1. but we cant expect them to win every time and even very good players like cai yun and fu hai feng go through slumps. they haven't won lately have they but that does not mean that they are not good. sad to hear about the umpire fiasco but that's life and sports. things like that happen. you take it in your stride and you look forward and keep walking. :D

17. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    I think they should have told umpire that the shuttle did not go thru.....in tennis, Ai Sugiyama and Yayuk Basuki have been voted Sportmanship of the year something...yayuk has won twice....we need that in our badminton sport...I wish Umpire did not give Yellow card to Japanese....I wish I was there....:D

18. steffi_annie

steffi_annie Regular Member

student
    What's tournaments are coming up after this French Open????

19. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Vietnam Open.........next wednesday....

20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Only have a few spare time to post my thoughts.

It's certainly disappointing for Kido/Hendra to lose to Choong/Lee, despite leading 15-12 in the rubber-set :mad: Same for Luluk/Alvent. But, both pairs have not really performed well in the past 2 weeks, esp Kido/Hendra :cool: They were often stretched when playing unheralded pairs like the Polish pair :eek: So, congrats to Choong/Lee for avenging their loss. They certainly deserve a title for the hard work in the past few mths. I really hope they can win the title here...beating Fu/Cai yet again, if both pairs win today.

Another surprising thing was Koo/Tan's loss yesterday. Everyone (including me) expected them to stroll past the Japanese pair yesterday, yet, Ohtsuka/Masuda have been in good form this week, beating Paaske/Rasmussen, AG/Joko and now Koo/Tan. Can they beat Choong/Lee?

Another disappointing loss was Nova/Butet's 2nd consecutive defeat to Laybourn/Rytter-Juhl. Butet has been really off form lately and its probably time to re-evaluate the priority now...XD or both XD and WD.

As for Taufik, its expected that Lin Dan will beat him. It should be another Lin Dan vs Lee Chong Wei Final tomorrow.