A Classic for LCW

Discussion in 'Dutch Open / Denmark Open / French Open 2007' started by ye333, Nov 3, 2007.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

That Star article also has LCW saying he might choose only one tourney - between China and Hong Kong Open cos his knee needs rest.

We'll see.

2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Hope he chooses HKG open.....:D

3. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I am glad to see that LCW and Misbun actually agree with me... :D Chong Wei is playing more intelligently, and reading his opponents much better.

4. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

It makes more sense to opt for CHN Open as part of the preparation for the big OG challenge.

5. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    No...they will learn his style of play .....Just pray that he will show up in HKG....other reason is in case he loses, he has time to shop in HKG....:D especially in causeway bay, times square...hehe

6. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

CHN team will definitely go and support HKG SS in full force anyway, so they can learn his style of play at either event (or even if they don't, they just need the video recordings). My point is that LCW has to get used to the atmosphere when playing against CHN players with home ground advantage.

Anyway, Guangzhou and HK are only separated by 2 hours' train ride (faster if you are taking express train). I'm pretty sure LCW has been to HK before but not Guangzhou, which has its own charm despite of not so well-managed as HK. I visited both cities a few months ago (3rd time in HK but 1st time in Guangzhou) and enjoyed every single moment.

#126 Inky2000, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  7. eaglehelang

Huang just wants LCW to go to HK so he can bring LCW around

8. Inky2000

Inky2000 Regular Member

So Huang wishes LCW will lose in the early round (see his original posting) so that he can show him around ...? :eek:

9. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Hmm..

..in other words, the definition (and examples) for a "Classic game" is relative..:confused:;)
    ..it was simply a question from my side, in a way, as i wasn't clear; not adding to your point..It's a bit clearer now..
    ..hmm, so going with the point that "everybody has his/her own definition of 'classic game' and there are many other types of classic games", perhaps, to be fair to other fans (even LCW's), the statement should be "It is ONE of LCW's 'classic games'" (which i'm sure he has a few memorable ones)..As one never knows if in next yr's OG, LCW could produce another "classic game(s)"..;):cool:

#129 ctjcad, Nov 5, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Pls do a favour and post today's NST write up by one KM Boopathy and let's hear comments on his interesting perceptions.Shades of Mr Pemuda.Or maybe worse.

11. eaglehelang

NST ONLINE

Badminton: Chong Wei's No 2 spot crucial

By : K.M. Boopathy

[​IMG]
    World No 1 pair Koo Kien Keat (left) and Tan Boon Heong are gold medal prospects in the Beijing Olympics next year.

LEE Chong Wei, boosted by his victory in the French Open in Paris on Sunday, has taken a big step in establishing himself as the World No 2, and this should augur well for his Olympic challenge next year.

The World No 1 spot is held by China’s Lin Dan, whose superb temperament and performance should see him above everyone else for at least another year.

That is why it is crucial for Chong Wei to ensure that he should at least be in a strong position as the World No 2.

Lin Dan can afford to select the tournaments that he wishes to win, as he did in the Denmark Open a fortnight ago, and take his feet off the accelerator when he deems fit, as he did against compatriot Bao Chunlai in the semis in Paris.

Incidentally, three of the four titles were won by Chong Wei when Lin Dan didn’t make the finals, and this shows that the Malaysian is filled with confidence when he faces other rivals.

The moment Lin Dan conceded the match to Chunlai in Paris, it was apparent that Chong Wei would eventually clinch the French Open and he duly did it.

At the same time, Chong Wei has also established a good record against experienced China player Chen Hong and Danish veteran Peter Gade Christensen.

But the danger is still in the form of China’s World No 4 Chen Yu and Chong Wei must also overcome his apprehension when facing Indonesia’s Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat who is going downhill.

If Chong Wei maintains his standards, it should lead to at least an Olympic silver in Beijing.

Well, he can aim for the gold if the chance comes, and Lin Dan, though as imposing as the Great Wall, can crack at times.

Meanwhile, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah have once again shown their tendency to crumble under pressure when in a final.

This cost them their first Super Series title when they lost tamely to China’s Fu Haifeng-Cai Yun in Paris.

However, Tan Fook-Wan Wah can still be counted on to help Malaysia’s Olympic aspirations as they have the ability to eliminate top pairs in the early rounds, which they did in Paris when beating world champions Markis Kido-Hendra Setiawan in the quarter-finals.

But world No 1 Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong must be around to capitalise on the openings created by Tan Fook-Wan Wah.

Although Kien Keat-Boon Heong fell in the French Open quarter-finals, they won the Denmark Open earlier for their fourth Super Series crown.

Malaysia can still look to a two-pronged attack for an Olympic gold in Beijing.

12. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    maybe boopathy is somehow related to pemuda???:D:D:D

13. eaglehelang

Nahhh, just NST Group (NST, BH and Harian Metro) more critical.
    Btw, did you all notice he said Lin Dan conceded? Like he pity Bao Bao and give Bao chance to win. Szzzhh, an insult to Bao's skills, like LD the only good MS player in China.

14. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

LCW is now becoming unbeatable. Something has come into him, it is as if he suddenly believed in himself. He can turn his play on when he wants to - in his 2nd game, when he was into a little lull, he was able to exert himself very quickly to close the game on poor BAO, who tried as he did just could not come up with the answer.

LCW has now a great turn of speed and he used this very well to catch his opponents off-guard - e.g. a fast drive to the forehand to be followed by an accurate jumping smash to finish it off was just awesome. His returns now have pin-point accuracy and his cross courts are sharp and deep --- WOW !

I need to take my hat off to him, if he continues like this he would be world champion again soon. It is just a reveller to watch him play -- as a fan, you can almost feel the superiority in LCW's plays.

Bring on LD ! LCW will handle him. :)

15. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I think the main difference this time is LCW has full confidence and was not nervous at all. It seems his mind is clearer etc. We see that the opponents cannot surprise him anymore.

The question is, when he recovered from the injury, when their is real pressure, will he be nervous again? :cool:

16. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Haiya!!!:cool:...just in case..........:D:D dont make look bad....:mad::D

17. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

In another thread, my guess is LD conceded to Bao but not for the reason boopathy floated.CHN dared not let LD play LCW as it has to be a must-win for LD because LCW has the distinct disadvantage of injury. And CHN's not too sure LD can win, seeing how lightning quick all his other FO matches were.So they sent BCL for testing.Since BCL lost, fans will say it's expected. If BCL had won,then they can say, 'See,BCL is good enough,that's why LD can just be a spectator.' That's what they tried to do in IO07.It's a no-lose situation except for the MS title.If they had sent LD,it may turn out to be an end of the Super dan image.
    What I don't understand is how come Boopathy didn't realise that when a tier 1 player is injured, he becomes vulnerable even to tier 2 or 3 players.

18. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

How about this? LCW to play in CO, hopefully win title,then go out R1 in HKO so you can bring him shopping?

19. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

He 'll be ok so long as YKH is out of sight because YKH is a source of nervous energy(nothing personal,that's just YKH's shortcoming).Actually only Misbun needs to be there for him;other accessories are just disturbance.

20. eaglehelang

As I've said, this writer is critical, he will continue writing in this tone.
    If you have read articles by the Berita Harian sports journalists(not this tourney in particular but in general), it's even more critical.

Better too to have lower expectations of LCW- less pressure for him. More pressure = LCW cant perform well = as you know happened in 2004 Olympics, WC 2006 and 2007.

In any case, going back to Misbun seem to be the right move. Misbun's cool and calm personality suits LCW at this stage of his career.
    Though in LCW younger days many said Misbun isnt a good coach, no outstanding results then, LCW wasnt mature enuf I suppose.

Btw, may I ask what skills Li Mao taught LCW and what's Misbun's speciality? I didnt follow LCW's career from his younger days, so I just want to know if he incorporated the best stuff he learnt from these 2 coaches.