This wonderful place called VRC

Discussion in 'Vancouver Racquets Club' started by cappy75, Sep 2, 2004.

1. Growler

Growler Regular Member

Engineer
    That's actually different from what I said. I'm saying when it's not BUSY... not as long as there are free courts. If there's only something like a 0-2 court wait, why not let the juniors hang rackets and play, too?

If I saw that happening, I would be encouraged to get games with them and would in turn encourage them to play games with me and the other adult members, too. There would be much more variety in the games available to play, because there would be more people playing rather than the same regulars all the time.

Granted, there might be problems with what I'm suggesting (who says anything good comes easy?) but it might also lead to a better "scene" at VRC, baddy-wise.

2. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Actually, most of the juniors who come out during the late evenings already have their own groups. They themselves would not mix it up with adult players since they would rather stick with their own group, understandably so considering the varying levels amongst the club members.

3. Growler

Growler Regular Member

Engineer
    I've noticed. That's actually the syndrome I was talking about; the fact that there's so little interaction amongst the different groups of people who play.

I've also noticed that there ARE one or two individuals who are regulars at VRC who WILL go up to some of these juniors to ask for games. Very heartening! It's usually because the juniors play at a higher level, though, and these individuals are looking for an interesting or challenging game.

For my part, I've managed to get games with these young guns, too, and it's always fun when that happens.

4. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

As a "younger" member of VRC though holding a full time student membership. I agree full heartedly on Growler's urge for interaction. Better badminton, better interaction, better club environment.

As for the issue with juniors coming on the courts past their designated time. If there are open courts I don't know what the problem is, people should shut up and just play instead of being a dirty "orifice for stool excretion" to people for self enlightment, trust me its not going to improve your badminton skills because you told a younger player to get lost. Holding on to the little "red" book of the club isn't going to make you popular either.

I personally have felt this sort of rudeness from adults when I visited the club off my regular hours, However I should correct myself in saying that it is not all adults I am referring to. Once 5 pm rolls along, anyone that looks younger than 25 automatically gets shunned off the court and not politely too if I may add. It is quite ironic that some of these same adults will bring their own children (NOT CLUB MEMBERS) to come practice/play during the dead hours.

Anyways enough of my ranting. Im sure the usual BF/BC VRC group has heard this rant countless times. But I digress... This is still a wonderful place called VRC. :)

5. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    And it has been wonderful to have you all here to make this Wonderful Place Called VRC possible.

6. xXHilikusXx

xXHilikusXx Regular Member

@ Nephrus

totally agree with you, though the court time doenst really matter, the real trouble is that these few adults are not creating the ideal type of community, and as time drags on, we will see the effects/ conflicts between just turned adult juniors and adults.

and the reiterate,i feel the currrent schedule is out of date and is in need for revision. while i am not saying add more junior piorty times, i must say that the current times must be shifted.

junior piorty from 3pm to 5pm is preposterous as most will not be able to arrive to the club till 4:00- 4:30.

yes, many juniors already have groups of their own, but i am almost sure most will mingle if asked. just ask the guys in elite, i am pretty sure a number of them would be happy to play and get better.

#186 xXHilikusXx, Oct 1, 2007
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2007
  7. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

Have we met before Hilikus? Im usually with Cappy or Woodchuck at VRC. Maybe you should encourage juniors to mingle more :) we "semi" old folks are too shy to ask haha

8. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Master Nephrus, you aren't old compared to the rest of the VRC AM gangs :p.

I saw Jason (Hilikus) in a video with Smashingbird already . . .

9. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    i was in a video with hilikus?..i dun even know who he is lol

10. xXHilikusXx

thats funny, i was not not under the impression i knew any of you ... care to send me a picture thru pm guys?

11. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

are you on facebook? most of us are on the VRC group for facebook.

12. xXHilikusXx

ya i am, but i dont believe u go by nephrus? whats ur real name mate

oo btw id like to see that video, i dont get much vids of me ^^

13. Nephrus

Nephrus Regular Member

Hilikus read your PMs?

14. xXHilikusXx

lol got it. now i want to know who pete is lol... scares me ^^

15. Pink_Suika

Pink_Suika Regular Member

talk about schedules...
    vrc doesn't reli give juniors a chance to practice there, except if they join trianing groups. I mean the right-after-school times till 5 isn't exactly enough (no wonder juniors leave...)

as for non-member problems...it bothers me that they don't realize they're not members...i guess they take it for granted we'll (members) let them play...even if there's no court waits...i still dun like it when they play...

as for guests...i dun see how it can be annoying...i mean the most we'd ask u the same question is 6 times...unless u come more than 6 times which ur not suppose to...besides it's not like we're shooing them out...it's just to check that they r guests...n not sneak-ins so to speak

i like vrc...but i do agree that some members can be a bit fiesty...

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
  17. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

18. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Any BF'ers? 100%

Growler, Wood_22_chuck, Nephrus, cappy75!

-dave

19. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Figured that it'll be a great training tool to have our games videotaped. Nothing beats self-awareness of our weaknesses and strengths.

20. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

That doesn't stop them from coming out late in the evening to play. Maybe you should petition the membership to extend one more hour for junior privileges.