LD wins..........

Discussion in 'Hong Kong Open 2007' started by alfa-2, Dec 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    I think LD outplayed LCW............i think the umpire did the right thing, and maybe the shot was really in, LD wouldn't have shouted it that way if it was really out.

The reason why LCW lost:-

1) LD attacked more with his lethal smashes
    2) LD's perfect play with excellent net play and less unforced errors in 2nd/3rd set
    3) LCW's defense wasn't that solid compared to his usual ones when he played with LD, especially he didnt dive that much (maybe to avoid aggravate his current tendon injury).
    4) LCW had more unforced errors

2. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Agreed, agreed, agreed and agreed.

As for (3) that was my thought in the first place - he was in Lin Dan's mercy simply because he can't really move he wanted, ending up with so many easy shots from LD.

LD looked like he wasn't pleased to be beating a rival who was at 75% eh? :)

3. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    Something that i miss so much from LCW is his solid defense................u know that last minute kinda of saves that are returned perfectly..........

Rest more LCW. Don't want to miss him in action next year. It has been quite a year for LCW.

LD must have been really happy to revenge his loss recently to LCW. He did great today. Flawless game by LD in the 2nd/3rd set.

Anyway, did anyone notice that LCW didn't bother to do jump smashing in the 3rd set like he did in the 1st set??

4. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    if LCW has no injury (100%) and play the same game as today, he would have lost to LD also.

5. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    At least LCW would put up a better fight, I'd imagine.

LD looked at LCW as if saying, "Oh yeah, he gave up. Ok".

#5 wilfredlgf, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  6. alfa-2

alfa-2 Regular Member

Architect
    i believe that LCW didn't give up at any point with his much infamous fighting spirit.

7. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Yes i agree. Lindan played well today...but i think it was not his best game yet. LCW had a different strategy in the 1st set. But it did not work on the 2nd and 3rd set and at the same time LCW had some unforce errors and did not have his usual netgame. Kudos to LindaN to close the SS series with the win.

8. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    I agree that Lin Dan's the superior but it's either aggravate the tendon and miss out on the big finale and even the OG if it's serious enough, or fight hard and still lose, and aggravate the injury.

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I enjoyed the match. And I am sure hand to heart, we can all agree that LD outplayed LCW today. Coming back from a set down, LD showed his composure and range of shots.

10. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Too many BCers are arguing in the other thread and too hard to get things straight. I'm joining you guys here. It's only one game that LD won today and shouldn't be a too big deal to anyone. The match could go either way and they both played well.

With the way LCW played in the 1st game, it sure looked like he was going to win the match easily. LD was no match for LCW and no real chance to smash.

But LD turned table around in 2nd game with game change. Using his backhand, LD played LCW's backhand more, which limited LCW's smashing power. LD also increased his defense against LCW's offensive play. Moving faster and fired-up motivation also help LD.

In third game we saw luck was clear on LD's side with some real nice play. LCW might be tired at that point and did some half-hearted smashes. It was very atypical to see LCW making so many mistakes and missed so many shots.

LD out-played LCW in HK Open today, but I don't think he was at his best. He won more because LCW did not play well enough. Congratulation to LD to turn things around, and pulled himself together and out off a potential defeat. Hope they will meet again soon and outcome between them are always hard to predict.

11. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

12. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

Athough I hate to admit it, LD is a hell of a player. If one is half-injured or employs the wrong strategy LD is not forgiving.

My reading of the match is LCW employed the wrong strategy - he can beat LD as shown in the first game. But that first game perhaps took the toll and LD was able to take control. The 3rd game was clearly more of LD exerting his fitness.

I have to give it to LD. On the year as a whole, he is the most successful on tour. But let us not forget LCW, who has shown a lot of courage and improvement throughout the whole year. If it wasn't him, I think I would have lost interest in badminton long time ago.

My respect to both players, great players of this era.

13. dannyang

dannyang Regular Member

en. LCW has improved a lot. I'm surprised with his defense during last few tournaments.

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

Yup and yup. LCW didnt employ his usual "dive to save shuttle" much. The one time he fell down, RTM Commentator also worried about his injured knee.

15. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Indeed,...LD played well enough to win the match...he is still the best MS in the world for at least for now...

But...i think the gap between these two players have been narrowed a lot...since LCW recovered from this year 7 months lows form.........so..
    they will keep beating each other in the coming tournaments if they meet again...

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Congrats to Lin Dan for his victory, and for LCW for making sure the match is still competitive despite his injury.

LCW did the right tactics in 1st game, but once he had the changeover, the drift doesn't allow him to maintain the same tactics. You can see from the position where he was dominating the net, it suddenly shifted LD's way with more net cord shots winning him points.

Plus LD used a lot more direct attacks in the 2nd half of the match.

17. Konnichiwa

Konnichiwa Regular Member

Studente
    90% nervous lin dan >>>>>>>>> 100 % LCW

18. Tjun Tjun

Tjun Tjun Regular Member

Actually I thought LCW had a chance to catch up somewhere in the middle of the final set but then he had several successive unlucky net shots which stubbornly refused to cross over and a couple of deceptive trick shots he tried and failed....and from that point onwards it was uphill all the way as LD did not let up an inch......still at 15-20 I was hoping against hope that LCW could cough up another Houdini act (like the one he did in MO in Kuching) and force a dueuce and wrap up the match.....that was not to be ......well I hope LCW will turn the table the next time round.......but now I congratulate LD for his superb performance and victory which he thoroughly deserves.

19. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

I agree with 1,3,4.. But not No.2. LD is just too lucky for a few happy lucky net shot. U can see him apologized few time for the HAPPY NET SHOT.
    LCW play well and he did TOO many errors in G2 & G3...His net shot & drop just can't pass through the net... Even his silent smashes just went wide..

I am not too worry about LCW's defeat..LCW is on par with LD just today his make too many errors..
    This is the main reason he lost..

20. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

well, it nearly went through his racquet!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.