SS Final : Cancelled? (was: Where will be the final's venue?)

Discussion in 'Super Series Final 2007' started by kevinboy, Jul 4, 2007.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think you have to go back into history. For tennis, it was not always like that. Players did not have a break. It was only because of increasing complaints that the calendar was altered.

To be fair, I think it is still unexpected problems that are turning up. Other sports have their problems.

2. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Yes that's my point. In fact for all top players in real professional sports, tennis, soccer, basketball, etc., the "professional leagues" are always top priority.

3. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    BWF just announced in their website that SS Final will be postponed ....no more Jan 2 to 6 but will be SS final sometimes in 2008........

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's not meant to cynical but postpone it all the way till end of next year would be good. This is an Olympic year.

In light of recent logistic problems and incentive for teams and players, those issues have to be readdressed.

5. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

SUPER SERIES - Postponned again

haiz....
    the SS final had been postponed again:mad::rolleyes::eek::(:D:rolleyes::):p:crying:

The Super Series finals to be held in the beginning of January have been postponned again as indicated on the official BWF Website today.

Due to a tight calendar of events in this Olympic year, the Finals should be held later in the year in a place to be confirmed as well.

6. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Look at their website....they have BIG internal problems...they also clearly wanted to oust Dr. Kang...( read their article " london...and beyond)....

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Yup, they want to oust Dr. Kang... Rebels! :mad::rolleyes: Actually I heard a lot of people badmouth Dr. Kang, including the korean players, coaches, and administrators... I don't know him personally but he does not seem too popular... Aaarrrgghh, then why did they elect him in the first place laaaah... :mad: In the meantime, badminton suffers... :crying: :crying::crying:

8. huangkwokhau

sales & design

Yep...heard too many versions what he has done as well as BWF's.......anyway....I do not know him...I can not comment anything...I just hope that BWF makes things better for 2008....as longas it benefits to badminton players, not for officials...thats more important!

9. hhs1000

hhs1000 Regular Member

As per the news, the 2007 SS Final will be announced later in 2008.

My guess is they will combine the SS Final 2007 & 2008. Sound better than canceling right ?.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the only difference between that and cancelling is they will incorporate the points earned in 2007. aside from that, it is effectively the same as cancelling the 2007 one.

11. hhs1000

hhs1000 Regular Member

Here is one more example of shoddy work of the BWF.

Check out the SS site http://www.bwfsuperseries.com/ it expired on Dec 11, 2007 and not renewed. Speaks a lot about current BWF administrator.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    it looks like they had renewed it recently.

13. george@chongwei

i think its better this SS final cancel it than delay it untill so long....

14. george@chongwei

if the SS final din delayed untill so long, the actual date suppose to be 2day i think....

15. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Just postponement not cancellation, better than nothing. It will be hard to seek the right time for all participants since year of 2008 has busier agenda than 2007...

16. kenny7_2006

kenny7_2006 Regular Member

Working student...
    another article in The Star today (22nd December 2007):

KUALA LUMPUR: The Badminton World Federation (BWF) have postponed the Super Series Finals scheduled for Jan 2-6 indefinitely.
    This is the second time the championships have been postponed. Initially, the Finals were supposed to be held from Dec 18-22.
    “It is going to be tough to try and fix a date over the next few months due to the tight schedule for 2008. Basically it is the sponsors who have decided to change the dates.
    “They are unable to provide us with the new dates until now. We will meet on this and make a decision,” said BWF event manager M. Venugopal yesterday.
    The postponement of the 2007 Finals, however, will not affect the start of the 2008 Super Series. It will kick off with the Proton Malaysian Open from Jan 15-20 in Kuala Lumpur. Then, it will be the Korean Open from Jan 22-27.
    In March, they will another two more tournaments – All-England Championships from March 4-9 and the Swiss Open from March 11-16 – before the Thomas Cup Finals in May.
    “All these four tournaments are very important as they will provide qualifying points for the players in the chase for places in the Beijing Olympics,” said Venugopal.
    “In February, there is also the various Thomas Cup qualifying rounds, so there is hardly any time left to slot in another top level meet which might affect the players’ preparation for the Olympics or the Thomas Cup,” he added.
    He admitted that the other possibility was to hold it after the completion of the Thomas Cup Finals.

Link: http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2007/12/22/sports/19838672&sec=sports

17. willie

willie Regular Member

draftsperson
    With the power struggle and the poor administration performance within the organization, the BWF is a laughing stock in the world sport. Better revert to IBF and move back to UK. I seriously think badminton will be eliminated from the Olympic Games.

18. george@chongwei

you gotta be kidding me then....

19. tommy_bun

tommy_bun Regular Member

Once I heard that rumour too

20. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Hopefully that nonsense stays a rumour