Rexy resigned !!!

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by alfa-2, Jan 18, 2008.

1. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

2008 starts with drama, promising a year of much action, excitement, sobbing, turning at corners, left, right, U-turn ..........he, he

From the Star

Rexy makes U-turn

INDONESIAN Rexy Mainaky has had a change of heart – a day after creating a stir with his decision to quit as the men’s doubles coach of the national team.

Yesterday, Rexy said that he is not leaving after all. And that is good news for Malaysian badminton.

On Friday, he announced that he was quitting following the dismal performance of his players on Thursday, especially the defeat of defending champions and world number one Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong.

“I have had good advice. I spoke to (BAM) president (Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh). I will continue as the national doubles coach,” Rexy said when met at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.

“I was emotional. I cannot give up now. If I did, it will prove that I am not a professional. I have to face all this bravely. This is my responsibility as a coach.

“I apologise for making the statement (that I am quitting). I take it back.”
    Rexy said that he got all worked up because the players had failed to meet his expectations.

“My expectations were high and the players failed to meet my lofty targets. I got very emotional over their defeats. And all I could think of at that time was quitting,” he said.

“From now on, I am only going to look forward. I want to move forward with the players, the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia), the NSC (National Sports Council) and the Malaysian people.”

Rexy was reminded that this was the second time that he had gone back on his decision to quit the team, having done so during the Asian Games in Busan in 2006.

“I know some people will laugh at me now that I am retracting my decision yet again. But I want to look ahead and work together to help Malaysia achieve the ultimate goal – to win a gold medal in the Beijing Olympic Games,” said Rexy.

“Yes, I am emotional. But what I really want is for the players to be as passionate as I am.”

Rexy said it was important for the team to stay united.

“The unity is better in the team now. If not we would not have won a lot of titles last year. But others can easily distract our players and this is something we have to be careful about. We must continue to stand together,” he said.

“The foreign players always say that it is easy to beat the Malaysian players when they are under pressure. And I agree that Malaysians like to heap unnecessary pressure on themselves.

“Tan (Boon Heong) says that whenever he gets up in the morning, he already feels the pressure. But this is something I must work on. It is important to give them a peace of mind.”

On the issue of four of his national players – Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui – leaving the team, Rexy said he would leave it to the BAM to handle it.

“These are good players who are leaving us. It will be a big loss. But it is best that the BAM look into this matter. It will not be right for me to get involved.”

For now, Rexy aims to meet his players and assistant coaches and have an open discussion with them on each other’s expectations.
    “We have gotten off to a bad start (at the Malaysian Open) but let’s hope that this (tournament) will mark a turnaround in our fortunes.”

2. eaglehelang

And another one......

from NST

Badminton/Malaysia Open 2008: Rexy explains!

By K.M. Boopathy

20 January, 2008

REXY Mainaky surprised Malaysian badminton fans when he said he was contemplating resigning as national doubles coach on Friday. A day later, a much calmer Rexy - after a heart-to-heart talk with BA of Malaysia top brass - changed his mind. He explains to Timesport's K.M. BOOPATHY. - WHY HE WANTED TO QUIT

I was frustrated that the performance of the (doubles) players did not meet my expectations.

It happened in the heat of the moment and it (the performance) was disappointing as we had prepared very hard.

When I was driving (on Thursday night) my mind kept saying 'Rexy, you must quit, you must quit.' Maybe I was too emotional.

- BA OF MALAYSIA'S STAND

We had a good meeting. The president (Datuk Nadzmi Salleh) and deputy president (Datuk Roland Wong) offered some good advice which I accepted with a clear mind.

- HIS DECISION

I'm sorry about the statement (wanting to resign) and I would like to retract that.

I will continue. If I give up now, I'm not a professional. I must be brave in facing situations like this.

- PERCEPTION OF PLAYERS

Now that I have made the statement, I know people will make fun of me but I can live with that. I'm sorry and I will be back.

- BEIJING OLYMPICS

We have to work together - players, coaches, BAM and National Sports Council - towards the Olympic gold.

(The burden of winning Olympic gold) is not just on Koo (Kien Keat) and Tan (Boon Heong) but other pairs as well. Singles players Lee Chong Wei and Wong Mew Choo will also be trying to secure gold in the Olympics.

I want the players to be emotional, to be passionate like me.

We, the coaches and players, feel the pressure and this will make the eight months (to the Olympics) like two months.

- MALAYSIA OPEN

Tan was under so much pressure in this tournament. Tan didn't look comfortable from the first match and he was not relaxed.

We must be relaxed when a tournament is near. Our players must be prepared about three months before a tournament and not rush with just a month to go.

This is what I have to work on and I will use all my experience to overcome this as we prepare towards the Olympics.

We didn't allow the pressure to affect us as we did produce good results last year.

When I meet the players, I want their feedback. It is important that they have faith in me and it is the also the same for me.

3. eaglehelang

From NST

Badminton: Nadzmi: Coach was frustrated

20 January, 2008

BA of Malaysia (BAM) president Datuk Nadzmi Salleh yesterday stated that he has full confidence in Rexy Mainaky's coaching ability. Rexy rocked Malaysian badminton on Friday by saying he was contemplating quitting but changed his mind after meeting Nadzmi and BAM deputy president Datuk Roland Wong yesterday.

"Rexy was a great player and I want him to become a great coach as well. He has a good set of players and his job is to turn them into a great bunch," said Nadzmi.

"I met him today (yesterday) and after having discussed the issue, I am sure that he will stay till, at least, the Olympics.

"He did not submit a resignation letter and whatever he said (on Friday) was caused by frustration.

While not divulging what exactly Rexy's grouses were, Nadzmi said BAM will make sure that whatever has been bothering the coach and his players will be sorted out.

And btw, 4 MD players are leaving BAM, not 2- TBS/OSH, Gan/Lin. See the Media news thread

4. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

Rexy makes U-turn

MALAYSIAN OPEN
    PUTRA STADIUM, BUKIT JALIL, KUALA LUMPUR

INDONESIAN Rexy Mainaky has had a change of heart – a day after creating a stir with his decision to quit as the men’s doubles coach of the national team.
    Yesterday, Rexy said that he is not leaving after all. And that is good news for Malaysian badminton.
    On Friday, he announced that he was quitting following the dismal performance of his players on Thursday, especially the defeat of defending champions and world number one Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong.
    “I have had good advice. I spoke to (BAM) president (Datuk Nadzmi Mohd Salleh). I will continue as the national doubles coach,” Rexy said when met at the Putra Stadium in Bukit Jalil yesterday.
    “I was emotional. I cannot give up now. If I did, it will prove that I am not a professional. I have to face all this bravely. This is my responsibility as a coach.
    “I apologise for making the statement (that I am quitting). I take it back.”
    Rexy said that he got all worked up because the players had failed to meet his expectations.
    “My expectations were high and the players failed to meet my lofty targets. I got very emotional over their defeats. And all I could think of at that time was quitting,” he said.
    “From now on, I am only going to look forward. I want to move forward with the players, the BAM (Badminton Association of Malaysia), the NSC (National Sports Council) and the Malaysian people.”
    Rexy was reminded that this was the second time that he had gone back on his decision to quit the team, having done so during the Asian Games in Busan in 2006.
    “I know some people will laugh at me now that I am retracting my decision yet again. But I want to look ahead and work together to help Malaysia achieve the ultimate goal – to win a gold medal in the Beijing Olympic Games,” said Rexy.
    “Yes, I am emotional. But what I really want is for the players to be as passionate as I am.”
    Rexy said it was important for the team to stay united.
    “The unity is better in the team now. If not we would not have won a lot of titles last year. But others can easily distract our players and this is something we have to be careful about. We must continue to stand together,” he said.
    “The foreign players always say that it is easy to beat the Malaysian players when they are under pressure. And I agree that Malaysians like to heap unnecessary pressure on themselves.
    “Tan (Boon Heong) says that whenever he gets up in the morning, he already feels the pressure. But this is something I must work on. It is important to give them a peace of mind.”
    On the issue of four of his national players – Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui – leaving the team, Rexy said he would leave it to the BAM to handle it.
    “These are good players who are leaving us. It will be a big loss. But it is best that the BAM look into this matter. It will not be right for me to get involved.”
    For now, Rexy aims to meet his players and assistant coaches and have an open discussion with them on each other’s expectations.
    “We have gotten off to a bad start (at the Malaysian Open) but let’s hope that this (tournament) will mark a turnaround in our fortunes.”

5. xymaerts

xymaerts Regular Member

Four doubles players stride out on their own

MALAYSIAN OPEN
    PUTRA STADIUM, BUKIT JALIL, KUALA LUMPUR

FOUR men’s doubles players – Tan Bin Shen-Ong Soon Hock and Gan Teik Chai-Lin Woon Fui – quit the national team on Friday to seek a change of fortune in their pursuits for individual glory.
    The 25-year-old Teik Chai said they had tendered their resignation to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) officials on Friday.
    In their absence, the remaining men’s pairs left in the elite squad are Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari-Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif, Choong Tan Fook-Lee Wan Wah and Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong.
    While Teik Chai and Woon Fui may follow in the footsteps of Chan Chong Ming-Chew Choon Eng and find their own sponsors to compete in international tournaments, Bin Shen-Soon Hock have had talks with professional club KLRC Bhd.
    The 25-year-old Teik Chai said they decided to leave because they felt that they had no future with the BAM and wanted to start afresh elsewhere.
    “Yes, I am leaving. I have no future with the BAM. I am 25 years old and am ranked fifth in the national team (with Woon Fui). There is no opportunity for us with the BAM,” said Teik Chai.
    “But I can’t blame anyone on this. I am not blaming BAM either. Instead, I thank them for taking care of us for a long time. But I have no results to show for. So, there is nothing for me to fight for here.”
    He said he would give himself a year before deciding on his future as a badminton player.
    “For now, Woon Fui and I will be out to find sponsors. We will see how we fare in international tournaments. Maybe, there will be a change of fortune when we are out there,” he said.
    “I think, we have reached a junction where you either turn right or left. Well, we have decided to leave the BAM. It was great while it lasted.”

6. kutukupret

kutukupret New Member

professional
    Rexy,
    A good person, is not only from the skill or knowledge. It's not enough. It needs a good character also. Good character need a commitment, have strong principal. NOT FLOATING AROUND (in bahasa: PLIN PLAN!!).
    Don't keep changing whatever your decision from time to time. It's very bad, you know....everybody will not trust you anymore if you keep do it...

7. Kamen

Kamen Regular Member

Self-Employed
    i guess BAM will accept tbh/osk and gtc/lwf resignation. Afterall, BAM have too many pairs! It will be good for all parties.

8. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

The long and short of this is Rexy is staying. And whether anyone likes it or not, it means there is continuity for the players. At this point, we cannot afford to hire another coach with another style of training -- it will be too disruptive.

As the saying goes : No pain no gain. But I think it should be : No pressure no gain. Yes, learn to live with the pressure and everything will be great. There will always be pressure no matter what and our players need to learn how to play under those pressure. If you have the training under your belt, you will feel less pressure (an analogy : like in work, if you have know the subject matter well, you will have more confidence to deal with any pressure).

9. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    The most important factors for Rexy to start for continuing his task will be how to improve the mental & reduce the pressure for all the players under his belts. He need not entertain all the press and tell them the story behind all his players; exp : who is not committed in training etc... The more the players read negative comments from the press, the more amount of pressure they would suffer.
    Focus more on his own players and let the result speak.

10. Sandy

Sandy Regular Member

Koo/Tan lost to Paaske/Rasmussen in 3 tough sets, it was'nt bad result. I guess this accident because of Rexy's style.

I remembered in PON (National Games), Rexy wanted fight to the spectators from East Java. Ricky/Rexy represented West Java lost to Tony Gunawan/Rudy Wijaya (East Java) at this event.

Maybe, he will do better when less pressure to him.

11. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    I agree wif u...I think KKK/TBH oso dun wan this 2 happen!!

I can understand wat Rexy feels,he had did everything he can,when he put hope on MD players especially KKK/TBH,at last wat he get is dissapointment..I hope Rexy will think twice next time b4 he makes such decision..I m glad he decided 2 stay in Mas!!!:)

12. little_bird

little_bird Regular Member

Glad that Rexy is staying back with Malaysia team!!

No dispute, Rexy is the essential person who managed to transform Malaysia's Doubles' to a new arena!

13. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Bold & Beautiful

Anyone here ever watch Bold & Beautiful??

This Rexy's 'today I resign and my resignation is final' and 'tomorrow I take back my resignation' saga reminds me of Bold & Beautiful or B&B. :D Full of drama: tension, tears, heartache, pressure, reverse tension ;), relief and then happiness.

Anyway, am glad Rexy reversed his decision to say goodbye to Malaysia for the 2nd time (please, Rexy, shall we not have a 3rd time??). I dont like the notion of Malaysia going to Beijing with Rexy jumping ship as Rexy's departure may be used as an excuse should we end up with a zero in Beijing.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Rexy Mainaky's family loves Malaysia

:D:D:D Welcome Back Rexy !!! :D:D:D

The fact is Rexy's wife and children love Malaysia. And Malaysia loves Rexy.

It doesn't matter how many times Rexy says he is leaving, but as long as he remains in Malaysia, everyone is HAPPY. :D:D:D

15. rinewy

rinewy Regular Member

student
    suppose that kien keat n boon heong shud work harder....they are playing in the court afterall and not rexy...they must improve , not playing de same way all the while....they are a pair people target to defeat nowadays wat..:(

so its nobody fault if they are beaten since ppl are 'eyeing' on them alot.work harder lo.hope rexy wun be so frust le

16. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    I really don't care how Rexy does it as long as he gets the result. He can blame anybody and everybody but at the end of the day nobody remembers who said what. All that matters is the win.

17. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Better dont, have you ever heard...'too many cook will spoil the food' :D:D:D

18. d65up2

d65up2 Regular Member

Student
    Rexy...offcially hates him now...is like he is playing mind games with INA badminton...

19. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Rexy's outburst: Enough is Enough

The outburst from Rexy was because his trainees/charges were not listening/following his instructions/plan of actions. That's the cause of Rexy's outburst, as I put it (quite strongly) as "Enough is Enough".

20. eaglehelang

Why dont you pass the above mssg to Ants to pass to Rexy?

Stimes the press will keep bugging till they get an answer - recently too Misbun has been making more statements than usual - abt Hafiz & LCW.