LCW vs BCL

Discussion in 'Malaysia Open 2008' started by Angelou, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

You gotta have a true professional attitude to play top level badminton in your 30s.

2. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    u got it right.
    im happy enough if kkk played well.everything is ok for me.
    lost is lost.

n tomorrow.MALAYSIA BOLEH.

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Unfortunately, most badminton strong powerhouse like China, Indonesia and Korea, do not really encourage players to play after they reach 27-28. Look at Chen Hong...he has yet to reach 28 and already retired from the national squad and is now a free-lance. The same goes for Zhao Tingting's former partner, Chen Qiqiu, who retired when he was only 27 or 28.

In Indonesia, players also rarely remain in Pelatnas once they reach 30. Flandy Limpele is currenly the only one exception. Even Taufik Hidayat, who's only 26 is saying that his playing career will only last at most 2 more years :eek: I personally think Taufik will be gone after this year's Olympics.

4. badMania

badMania Regular Member

LOL...this is what I meant by a true-blue Koo Kien Keat fan :eek: Err....what about Tan Boon Heong :rolleyes: ?

5. volcom

volcom Regular Member

So sad to see theres basically no consistent hope beyond LD...

Before there could be reliance on Chen Hong aswell, but hes just falling and falling deeper into the abyss, he just doesn't seem to be anywhere near what he used to be nowadays.

Chen Yu aswell, this guy has the ability to constantly beat the best Chinese players and anyone, but his stamina? and mentality just does not seem strong enough for him.

6. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    I was cheering for KJ at L2 first row near court 1. KJ moved well and managed to retrieve a few deceptive dropshots by BCL. BCL didn't play well and KJ just kept returning the shuttle back. Some audience "shouting" at KJ to give away his winning racquet after he won that match. But I guess KJ didn't hear it.

7. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Chen Yu saved some face for China by advancing to the SF. SSM almost got him in the 1st game. It was so close.

8. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

no more lcw vs bcl after bao yesterday bowed out...

9. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

Maybe they quit early because they cant stand the training. I mean, the older you are, the tougher it is gonna be. Imagine a 30+ yr old playing against someone who is ten years younger.

10. xsakurax

xsakurax Regular Member

Well there will be a great match for ms tomorrow..lcw with his coach misbun vs Lee hyun il with his coach li mao!!Who will win?We will see it tomorrow =D
    Too bad i cant watch it on tv coz i have to go for my driving class T_T

#50 xsakurax, Jan 19, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2008
  11. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    You are partly right, in the sense that the training is very tough, designed for peak performance, and this must come at a price, sacrificing longevity. Sometimes, we see exceptions like Zhang Ning and Flandy, but even they are finding it hard to maintain consistency now.

European training system is different, athletes stay in peak condition up to mid-30s, practically in every sport. Denmark's badminton players since Flemming Delfs and Morten Frost were so consistent up to the end of their playing career, the same tradition continues with the current batch of players.

12. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

We have to admit western athletes are more disciplined in the sense that they are still able to perform at the top when they are well into their 30s. In that sense, they are very professional.

Denmark, I believe must be doing something right as they have been successful in the Olympics and WCs. If we look at yesterday's match between Tine & ZL, Tine despite being a less technical and skillful shuttler won. I would say Tine's mental toughness was the make or break factor in yesterday's match.

13. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    your assertion is 99% incorrect. Only 1 I know of is Lee Hyun-Il who quit when li mao came onboard and so he can train under another club. Runner up in 08 MO, i doubt Lee stop training. However, in china, players dont quit, they get the booted out by lyb. Look at chen hong, he is floudering because he not getting enough 'hard training.'

In 2004 Uber qualifying, 'Eva Lee couldn't handle seasoned veteran Denise Julien, losing 11-5, 11-3.' Denise is 40+ at that time.

#53 cooler, Jan 20, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2008
  14. Pemuda

Pemuda Regular Member

I like LYB. I know he is not the nicest chap around. But LYB is not supposed to be a nice loving chap. His job is to deliver winners and titles. And this is a realistic world. Perform you stay, dont perform he show you the door. No wonder China is a badminton powerhouse till today.

15. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Might work for a country like China where the supply is endless and you can pick and choose. Even countries like Malaysia and Indonesia, with their rich badminton tradition, are unable to keep up. Look at some of the backup players or ones they are grooming to be future seniors; it's not looking that good.

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i disagree.
    I say the reason is because denmark team did their homework.
    tine is aware of each of the top chinese gal strength and weaknesses where as tine isn't on lyb or chinese gal's radar screen as yet.

17. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Since this thread is about LCW vs BCL, aren't we off-topic here? ;)

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

just for clarification, i did not assert that LYB is not nice or any of his personal character. All i said who if u dont perform, ur release from the team. This is common in all sport and business organization, not just in china badminton team. Of course there are the unusual exception.

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i was only making some correction to some incorrect assumptions.
    I think the thread starter angelou is trying to re-ignite a previously discussed controversy - that lcw lost in china open was due to the alleged 1 or 2 bad line calls instead of bcl superior performance. Too bad angelou don't remembered some old bad line calls in previous MAL Opens where lin dan lost to lcw.

#59 cooler, Jan 21, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2008
  20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    LYB to say "Only LCW and BCL can stay"

:D:D:D Perhaps, LYB could say to all the other players mentioned thus far (in this thread)... "OK, only LCW and BCL can stay", and "All Danish players should be retired".

But LYB has forgotten that he's still keeping ZN. :D:D:D