What happend between Lin Dan and Li Mao?

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by ThinkRiver, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    As i've mentioned on the other post.. Lindan smash his racket after the game when he lost. He did not throw the racket to LiMao.

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i bet u that lcw had sensed some bad calls on game 1&2, plus not feeling well, why go on....

2008 KO
    taufik withdraw
    lcw retired
    LD plays on to bitter end.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

#43 cooler, Jan 27, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2008
  4. skunklover

skunklover Regular Member

student
    yea...i dont think LD actually threw the racket at anyone....
    it was still in his hands....at the end of said scuffle....
    plus the pic of the smashed racket does not look like it was thrown at anyone...it wouldnt break at the handle and the head, just from throwing it towarsds someone...he must have smashed it at the ground...

5. stork

stork Regular Member

-
    I saw a photo of a chinese official sitting behind LiMao and giving the racquet back to LD. That could also be the reason why LD still holds the racquet in the video you mentioned...

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

well, i think a yellow card should be levied against the korea side too.
    Umpire already signaled that he isnt reversing that point, and the point goes to LHI. Li Mao should have remained seated and keep quiet. Instead he rose up his seat and provoking the matter.

7. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

Here we go again, lot of bias from the Malaysian fans, points were made simply out of your hatred toward the Chinese team, LYB and LD's dominant.
    Can't we even keep one single thread of LD away from LYB and LCW's name? They are not even present at the scene!!! :mad: Bad line calls are bad for the sport at a whole regardless if you think Korea did a sweet revenge on China officials or not, but the player is innocents.

Take a look at the picture as a whole, this is not the first bad calls happened during the game, LD has been emotionally affected by the many bad calls, overruled or not and happen that the last one where the fight begin happened at the most crucial point of the rubber game, and guess what, Li Mao provoked him further more (cheap tactics??)

I don't agree with LD's action,but I found it understandable. LD shouldn't lose his temper but I think Li Mao and the Korean officials share EQUAL RESPONSIBILITY for provocation and all the dispute calls. :mad:

8. Konnichiwa

Konnichiwa Regular Member

Studente

no kwun he did throw the racket at li mao......check the vid again.... watch the other korean coaches reaction.....one of the judges or assistant tournament guys actually hands over the racket back to lin dan after he threw it.....so in fact he did throw it but i dont think he meant to throw it at li mao...or maybe he did who knows for sure

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

first i would blame the WBF. These incidents will keep on repeating itself because wbf is dragging their feet and not implementing any credible line verification system. These conflicts aren't new. Badminton is becoming a faster game, and the stakes are becoming higher. This was only for 10 to 25k for top prize. Imagine if the prizes were 500k to 1000k. We all wanted badminton to be a mainstream sport with great sponsorship and great prizes but if all your efforts and potential prizes are determined by some hokey and biased linesmen or a blind umpire ( the french open incident), and video replay is invalid, badminton as it is now can not be a mainstream sport. No big sponsors would dough money out if outcomes are constantly controversial.

PS but it does generate more posts in bf hehehe (j/k kwun);):D

#49 cooler, Jan 27, 2008
  10. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Kwun you should watch the video again. Right after the shot in which Li Mao rose from his seat, the camera turned back to LD walking around, and then you clearly see some ppl handed a racket to LD.

Of course this cannot prove LD threw a racket at Li Mao. What this can prove is that LD's original racket for some reason left his hand.

#50 ye333, Jan 27, 2008
  11. Konnichiwa

Konnichiwa Regular Member

Studente
    hmm well said...these players are fighting for there money and for there countries respectively..... i can see why lin dan was so angry.....we all lose our tempers sometimes....and will the malaysian forummers stop posting things about lcw and LYB breaking his legs and all of that talk.....it has nothing to do with this and its getting annoying

12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

How many bad calls are there? From what I read, there are several bad calls before this one but they are all overruled by the empire. :confused:

So, exactly how many bad calls (which indeed took points from LD) are there during the whole match?

13. stork

stork Regular Member

-
    Wong8Egg, LiMao is the best Coach China had, and he had to go, like others (including players), because they knew of some financial irregularity caused by LYB. In short, this is an issue between former partners LYB and LM (and LD of course is influenced by LYB).

Like I said before, I saw photos of a chinese official behind LiMao giving LinDan his racquet back and I´m not malaysian or in any way biased.

#53 stork, Jan 27, 2008
  14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

LD likely (just my opinion, have not seen the entire video) just threw his racket on the ground and broke it, and not at li mao. Slamming rackets on the floor is a sport invented by taufik if u don't know;)

15. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Can you provide a link? Is there any proof that this "chinese official" was seated behind Li Mao? If there is such proof, then I think the dispute can basically be settled.

16. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes yes yes. you're correct! i reviewed the video a few times. i did noticed that someone handed LD back his racket, and before that, both his hands were empty.

i stand corrected.

i do agree that it only means the racket left LD's hand, but not conclusive whether he intended the racket to be thrown at Li Mao. it is entirely possible that he threw it with frustration and anger. i don't see any reason why he would throw it at Li Mao, wouldn't it make more sense to throw it at the line judge? ;)

17. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

Well, if Stork is right (the official who hand a racket to LD was seating behind Li Mao), then your theory falls apart. :rolleyes:

18. cooler

cooler Regular Member

it's not a theory, just an opinion (see my above disclaimer):p

there are many people near li mao, it would be dumb to throw a racket at li mao because chances are high of hitting someone else. That would be like attacking a crowd of people.

#58 cooler, Jan 27, 2008
  19. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    no. that's not true.

the racket after all the scuffle is intact and in one piece. LD smashed it after the end of the whole match. (after he lost)

i would suggest viewing the video. ;)

20. kungfukid

kungfukid Regular Member

Sorry Kwun, i'm afraid u r wrong on this point.
    At 3m43s, u can see an officer handling a racket to LD. I'm convinced he did not hav a racket until this time.
    However this does not mean that he threw the racket towards Li Mao, it's possible that he jes smashed it hard on the floor.

But, one more detail that i observed in the video is that LD did cross over to LHY's side (comentator affirms this in the video) during the dispute. IMO, he smashed his racket at this moment n hence cos Li Mao to erupt into anger.

So for those who said that it's Li Mao who started the fight, think twice....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.