Penalty for Lin Dan

Discussion in 'Korea Open 2008' started by kwun, Jan 30, 2008.

?

penalty for Lin Dan

1. no penalty

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. small fine - (< US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. large fine - (> US$1000)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. suspension for 1 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. suspension for 2 SS

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Large Fine &Suspension

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. samuel882

samuel882 Regular Member

Tour Leader
    2006 MAS Open Quarterfinals
    Peter Gade vs LCW
    There was many bad line calls against Gade during the match
    Gade did protest against the umpire but TO NOT AVAIL; he just waved his hand and continued the match
    He lost the match eventually.
    After the match ended, a reporter went to interview Peter.
    He never mentioned anything regarding the BAD Calls, just said LEE CW was too excellent on that day. He said he will be back strongly next time ( A MAN TO HIS WORDS -- He won the MAS Open SS MS Title in 2007)
    Even though Peter lost that match, he won praises from the way he react post-match.
    WIN Or LOSE in a match sometimes is out of the players' control ; Since they can't change the results. Why need to debate and keep on arguing

2. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Yup......bad calls happen everywhere...so move on ppl.

3. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    None of all these controversy would have happened if instant reply is implemented. But i agree, let bygone be bygone. As long as BWF learn the lesson, will they?

4. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I said the match is not "totally unfair", I didn't say the line judges are not "totally unfair". There is this official called "umpire" who is able to cancel the unfairness of the line judges (and he did a pretty good job). Are you really unable to see the difference? :eek: Or more probably you are just trying to mix things up. :cool:

A professional player should not get personal with line judges and should only care about his points. So if LD is professional enough, he should not let the 4 overruled calls affect his mind.

5. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

If you are talking about ZYW getting 11 service faults, I think a Korean female player got a similar amount in another match. Both players are among the shorter ones, so it's more probably just different standards. At least, it's anti-Asia not anti-China.

And Chn benefited from controversial calls too. BCL benefited from controversial calls in his games against LCW and LHI. In particular, in the BCL-LHI match, there were 3 controversial calls in 4 consecutive points, all benefited BCL.

In both matches LCW and LHI dropped their racket as protests. Some ppl said they "smashed" their rackets, I suggest them go watch the videos again.

6. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

That's the point. Instant replay + neutral umpire + neutral service judge should be able to guarantee enough fairness.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    and in MO too...

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

yup, bad line calls over there too

9. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

So bad line calls justify everything? :eek: Or they only justify everything LD did, but other ppl has to act as gentlemen?

10. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Bad line calls will recur again as long as BWF is too cheap or is it because of lack of funding/sponsors cannot afford Hawkeye…maybe incidence like this will generate more global interest than the great game itself...at least in BC, the most talked about topic with so many posts and threads than ever before, even ZM winning WSF going through 3 previous champions get no mention…game fixing, bad calls, etc are part of game strategy nowadays all with the goal of winning at all costs...simply put if 'you did not cheat to win, you did not try hard enough to win'.
    When I watch/play baddy again, after 20 years of not even playing the sport since I left MAS, it was because of watching ZJH-JS match, and then watching LD-TH rivalry and skills, so much so, I organized the trip to WC05 with 16 people to see these players live...it was the sheer delight in watching world class players in action more than I care who is winning what that capture my interest...really, if BWF cannot ride on the backs of these players to advance baddy, improve the game like tennis does and with coaches fixing game outcomes, bad calls, etc that does not help the cause one bit....and after LD, TH, LCW and PG retire, I cannot see baddy going anywhere, not with the current people running BWF.

11. cooler

cooler Regular Member

since u have mentioned this twice, here is a precedent

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19785&postcount=1

12. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

It's obviously a mistake that TH didn't get some severe punishment. And further it's PBSI's mistake, not BWF's. So what's your point? :confused:

Furthermore we can compare TH and LD's attitutes. TH basically said, I did something bad, I had my reasons. I am ready to go on court; LD basically said, I did something not very appropriate, but that's because I am patriotic, I was trying to punish a traitor, so no one should blame me. Very funny.

13. zqloy

zqloy Regular Member

Yr point? Or u r trying to say LD lose to LCW in MO06 because of the linecalls?

14. cooler

cooler Regular Member

my point was to reply to eaglehelang, plus u have illustrated my point.
    Beside, this KO incident hasn't come to full conclusion yet, u can't speculate what LD would say or not say.

#294 cooler, Feb 1, 2008
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2008
  15. yen_saw

yen_saw Regular Member

Engineer
    Yep. Financial issue is always there i guess. Just look at the winner prize, is a shame badminton winning is just the tip of iceburg compare to other sports like Tennis and golf, where first place winner get a cool million USD, when will that happen in badminton?

16. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i know how to type.
    my point is as written.
    beyond that, it is your words

#296 cooler, Feb 1, 2008
  17. ye333

ye333 Regular Member

I paraphrased what LD said so far. Please point out any inaccuracy.

18. badMania

badMania Regular Member

19. cooler

cooler Regular Member

I like to present a balance point of view and many people have short memory and conveniently gloss over historical events. Unfortunately, some see me as anti-TH:rolleyes::eek:

#299 cooler, Feb 1, 2008
  20. badMania

badMania Regular Member

ye333 is right. Read the comments made by Lin Dan, quoted on Badzine. It's pretty clear that he had gotten over the bad linecall. Yet, its the sight of Li Mao, complaning and gesturing, and uttering some words to him that irked him and pushed him towards making that act of agression :eek:

And as I mentioned earlier, bad linecalls happened all the time. Some even said it happened in the World Championships 2006 (mostly service faults issues), so, move on! No tournament is 100% perfect. As far as I am concerned, the level of umpiring in that MS Final match was probably the best we can have in Korea on that day. Imagine if the umpire himself was a Korean. Lin Dan would probably not wait until the ending of the third set to commit that act.

Accept the fact that Korea is notorious for biased linejudges, and to think that Lin Dan should be mentally prepared for it too.

As samuel mentioned, if Peter Gade and Bao Chunlai can accept their loss at the Malaysia Open 2006 and Indonesia Open 2006, even though there were biased linecalls against them, without resorting to violence, then the question is: Why Lin Dan failed to do the same in Korea Open 2008?

#300 badMania, Feb 1, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.