Lin Dan's Technique

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by paulchow, Sep 11, 2005.

1. bad_fanatic

bad_fanatic Regular Member

Day dream about being a Pro Badminton Player
    I don't condone to forum arguments, but that was a good one.

I think azabaz_ipoh, Elixau and some others of are trying to say is that. Lin Dan's does have good Technique. However he may not look as graceful like other top notch player, but he does have good technique.

2. Athelete1234

Athelete1234 Regular Member

Student
    I'd say LD has amazing technique. The only problem is, he only likes to do what he's good at; zipping around the court like greased lightning, huge smashes, and a lot of around the head, in a sense, he has mastery over basic badminton technique. LCW and TH have more techniques to rely on, but LD is master of the basic stuff. Not to mention his fitness is insane.

3. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    BTW do you notice that Lin Dan probably has the greatest "bend" in his overhead (round the head) smash among the singles players? This acrobatic-like ability, reflecting an extremely strong core, shrinks the court for him.

4. bananakid

bananakid Regular Member

business owner
    Isn't the whole point of a match is to play to your own strength? It's harder than you think, just to keep your opponent playing to your strength, and keep them away from your weakness.:cool:

Having more technique may be good to watch from an audience point of view, and sometimes may help the player to get out of trouble, but that doesn't necessary mean the more technique you have, the better you are. Just look at the number of trick shots Hafiz has, and look at his result from 2007... that should prove a point.:p

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm not sure if 'flawed' or 'flaw' is the right word to describe it, we've to check Xiong Guobao's original word in Mandarin. Personally, I'd prefer to translate it (without knowing Xiong GB's original Mandarin word used) as odd/peculiar or an oddity/peculiarity, allow me the liberty to do so.

Anyway, Xiong GB admitted it didn't really affect Lin Dan's game but he felt it's not good for new or amateur players to adopt his grip of the racquet of "only 80% of what it should be.", adding, however, Lin Dan "need not worry about his grip aspect nevertheless."

He concluded "That's because Lin Dan is an exceptionally talented player. He is fast, very fast and that aspect of his game supercedes everything else. That's why though I believe that in my time Frost was the best badminton player around, over all I would have no hesitation in admitting that Lin Dan's the greatest."

In the context of Xiong GB trying to promote a new 'revolutionary grip' racquets, JFX and SFX, for Thwack (part of One Sports Group), we can understand what he's driving at.

7. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Maybe Xiong GB is psychorigid. if reality does not accord to his idea of it, then reality is "flawed".

8. visor

visor Regular Member

So, how's Thwack doing by now ? ;)