Variety news around All England week

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by huangkwokhau, Mar 4, 2008.

1. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

most probably implement hawkeye in bigger tourneys - maybe OG
    whatever, hope it will be soon

2. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Still, there is no meeting about HAWKEYE at all during AE........as BWF promised.....

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

so far it looks like there hasn't been too many controversial calls, not from the matches i've seen anyway.

as usual, the line judging at the all england is superb.

4. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Actually, the line judging was surprisingly bad but it wasn't intentional like KO or CO.Just that the line judges have vision problem,especially visual alertness cos they are not young.AE probably has the oldest line judges but the youngest court attendants(to mop the floors)

5. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

Absolute agree. I noticed few "unintentional" bad calls by very small margin as compared to KO or CO. In any sports, bad calls always happen and it's OK as long as it's not "intentional" :eek:

6. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i thought the line judging was good. only once or twice the call was wrong but they humans and those wrong calls were pretty tight. :)

7. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    yeah i thought the line judging was good too as some of you said it's probably not intentional if there is a bad call...the AE is probably my fav tournament to watch because of the atmosphere and they actually darken out the spectators area which enhances our vision of the match...that's one thing that other stadiums should follow....especially Asian stadiums I hate the lighting...

8. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I dont think BWF promised. They just mention about it but didnt put it as a priority.

9. z3048018

z3048018 Regular Member

sometimes i wonder what's with the snails pace?

10. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    being complacent. *sighs* :(

11. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    They did mention to disucss during ALL England....it is priority if they do not want Badminton got kicked out from Olympics or another KOR's accident....

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

when will BWF introduce this HAWKEYE system in international tournament?

13. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

i still don't think hawkeye is necessary. just a few extra cameras close to the lines will do.

14. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    yeah, like they did during the all england. the replays are clear enough for calls to be disputed if there is a need to. just add the same for the sidelines and wallah, good to go. the umpire can ask for a close up replay if the player wants to dispute the call. :D come on BWF, it should be easy to implement. dont make a simple thing to be highly complicated. :p;)

15. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

No, it's not ok even if unintentional. Old people should not be allowed to line judge when their vision is not good enough to do a proper job.They should just be given a free pass on account of long AE service and not worked for it and mess up the match outcome because of their incompetence.AE should really get younger volunteers with perfect vision to do the job.And they can't be serious about the matches, can they?Getting little boys looking about 10 years old to mop court floors? These boys can't even do the job properly and can risk player injury.
    Sometimes I think some AE traditions are a joke.

16. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Forget the expensive Hawkeye. Use cameras pointed to the sidelines, service lines (long and short) and baselines. Allow players to contest calls, where the camera will replay the shuttle movement.

This would be 99.9% accurate already.

17. azabaz_ipoh

is second to badminton
    agree abedeng. it is easier to implement than the hawkeye. and yet, BWF is still not doing anything about it. :(

18. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I Agree with pjswift on the court moppers, they really need to be people who know what they are supposed to be doing. Often the AE ones have no idea and just come on a rub the floor aimlessly.

19. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

jamesd20, just realize you're one of the mods. Good work for closing threads, that had turned away from their original purposes and into divisive clashes of views.

Just wondering if AE uses more older linesmen/women because the cost and availability? Since you are in UK, maybe you could explain it a little.

20. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Badminton England are Actually Quite active in trying to recruit Lines people for all levels of play from Local Junior tournaments right up to the all england.

They are all volunteers however, so as a result of this, with some exceptions obviously the Volunteers are either Students (who can take a couple of days off as you must be available throughout the whole week) of ages 16 upwards or Older (retired?) people who have no work. It would be very hard to convince working people to take 4 days off work for no pay, even to see top level badminton.

In other countries are the linespeople paid?

The Court Moppers are school children however (I think). A least in the finals they put older (12-16 yo) moppers on the court. Sometimes it must be frustrating for the Players, Umpires & Fans to see a 9-11 yo inadequately mopping the wrong area of the court.