Variety news around All England week

Discussion in 'German Open / All England / Swiss Open 2008' started by huangkwokhau, Mar 4, 2008.

1. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design

In Indonesia, linespeople get paid....dont know how much though...

2. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

The reason I asked is that at the end of MD SF Kor vs Mas, a shot was clearly out, but was unintentionally called in. It's probably due to eye-sights and the constrains these linesmen/women had to put up. I would think it's hard work for anyone, let alone seniors. Great volunteerism. Maybe AE should consider paying some money to attract a wider range of people.

3. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I think this is probably not undertaken due to employment laws and insurance reasons which would add significant cost to the Event.

The members would need to be tempoarary employees of BE, and therfore accrue Holiday, sick etc.. pay. BE would be responsible for there well being also.

I don't know the actual figures but I assume there are approximately 90 Volunteers required at any one time. On the three days before QF there is approximately 12 hours of play, meaning this is in effect counts for two days, therfore you have 9 Days of paying 90 People for about 6hrs avr/day. THis gives 6480 man hours. at a rate of At least £5.50/hr this Equals to over £35,000 for the week. Include Taxes on behalf of these payments and extra insurance liability you will be talking well over £40,000.

Would you get a better quality Linejudge/Mopper? Personally I doubt it, you will just get the same people doing it, but this time getting paid for it.

4. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

Thanks for the explanation and cost calculation. The law sounds like worse than US. Regarding your last comments, all I can say is you got some great volunteers there :)

5. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Off topic-Well..

..same story here also in the U.S., during the U.S. Opens, at least the last few yrs. All the linespeople were consisted of volunteers.
    But short of being treated a full order of Sam Woo's mouth watering roast duck or Outback Steakhouse's restaurant hearty 16 oz. filet mignon king steak, the volunteers had been receiving a full complementary meals, courtesy of the facility's restaurant, a Thai restaurant . They would be treated for lunch and dinner (that's if they stay for the whole shift). If not, they'd be fed w/meal @ which ever shift they're working. Add to their volunteer work, they'd receive the tournament's t-shirt and a group pic. The volunteers themselves are mostly older people, with a few younger people in the mix. Some of them are even regulars in every U.S. Opens, w/ a few traveling from other states. :cool:

#45 ctjcad, Mar 11, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2008
  6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I am Not sure about the benefits of being a linejudge...they may well get free meals while on duty. They get passes which let them into the Players stands to watch the games.

Maybe Some BF members who were linejudges can help?

7. elwin81

elwin81 Regular Member

Linejudges in AE get meal allowance, free parking, free programme, free guest ticket. No money are whatsoever..........