How did you know about www.badmintoncentral.com?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by george@chongwei, Mar 13, 2008.

1. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

This might sound a bit funny (some might not believe it)..

..okay, this is true & a bit of confession here, but it all started in the fall of 2004, just around the time U.S. Open rolled around. So, I was searching around to buy a digital camera/sport photography & i stumbled upon BC...And all the thoughts of the sport started to trickle down my memory lane...I was like "What?! How did i end up finding a badminton forum through a search for digital cameras??"...And i asked myself, after seeing the location of this website "Wow, is badminton really popular in the U.S.?"..In any rate, as i entered this site, with a feeling of anxiousness & excitement, i saw the U.S. Open thread and immediately was converted into a "born-again badminton fanatic"..Yep, after all those yrs forgetting abt the sport, perhaps it was a divine intervention after all!!..:cool: ;)

Btw, if george@chongwei had done a search, he would find a similar thread here, below;):
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2856

..oops, i think i might've just given a mini-intro of myself...:p

#21 ctjcad, Mar 13, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. malayali

malayali Regular Member

namaskaaram..
    I forgot how i stumbled upon BC, its been quite some time now....

3. fifteen luv

fifteen luv Regular Member

I key in badminton in yahoo then web search, I got it
    Now it is the 1st site I go wehn ever I switch on the computer

4. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    stumbled upon it. via google most probably. it was when i started playing again and wanted to find more info on badminton techniques. was a guest first for maybe a few months before finally registering myself and made a commitment. so far the love is still strong. let's see when the seventh year itch rolls by. hahahahahaha :D

5. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

It's quite addictive.. Whatever thing related to badminton that I search up on google, badmintoncentral.com shows up first.

6. Sleepy

Sleepy Regular Member

I was looking for a video/guide to picking up birdie and google showed me a thread here. I was transfixed on sight 0.0

7. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    I was walking down the street that day cold July evening. It had been pouring ever since the clock struck one in the afternoon and still hadn't stopped after six hours. It wasn't as heavy then but the ambient warmth of midday morning was a thing of the past.

The street was deserted that evening as the workers at the docks made their way hastily home under the dim light of kerosene lamps lining the paved esplanade, noticing but showing little regards to the vagabonds shielding themselves from the falling rain under crates with one of their walls detached, huddling over a small fire lit in a metal powdered milk can.

Light peeked through the cracks between curtains of windows, winking and occasionally showing the smiles of the hardworking man sitting in his chair at the head the table, holding hands with his beloved wife and children, saying grace and thanks for the food spread over the table. Next door an old man hunched over his table writing the headline for the morning's news as his assistant slumped over asleep nearby, catching up on sleep before the need to wake up and deliver the people their news.

The streets were lit by bigger and brighter lamps the further I walked down the street as a restaurant came to view. Under the green canopy sat a young couple, impeccably dressed and groomed for their special night that will not give way to the rain. Smiles lined their face as they watched a waiter uncork the bottle of wine to the background of a violinist playing Romance-era music to set the hearts racing. Coyly they stole glances at one another, avoiding each other's eyes at the final moments only to be caught, resulting in downcast glances on the empty plates in front of them, blushing.

A signboard hung on one of the doors that swiveled very slightly in the gentle but cool breeze of the evening that said, 'BF'. It was warmer inside as the fireplace lit up the place with nice soft glows that enhances the timber-paneled walls' rustic charm.

I took off my jacket and sat down at the bar. A tall man who reminded me a Korean I once saw on the television came to me. "Nasty weather today. Bloody cold", he said. I nodded and he gave me a welcomed mug of hot cocoa. He gestured for me to join the crowd as they sat in front of a television that rippled with slight interference.

I couldn't make out what it was they were watching, so I walked to the nearest table with an unoccupied seat and sat down. A gentleman with an easy smile nodded and shook my hand, his eyes crinkled slightly behind a pair of large glasses.

"Loh", he introduced himself. "Cheung", another guy with glasses next to him who promptly stood up and left to the request of a customer, and a young girl whose name was Joanne, who turned to follow the spectacle on the television after introducing herself. A closer look at the screen showed two men in shorts and tees on opposite ends of a court similar to that of tennis but smaller and with higher nets.

Both men smashed and lifted, moving one another all over the court in a contest of endurance, skill and wit. Every time the shuttle touched the green surface within the white boundaries, one group of the crowd cheered. The next time it happened on the other court, the group around me cheered. Banter were exchanged between rallies, ranging from the nationalistic to that of good-natured cheers.

The mug of cocoa was full of taste as I nodded while checking the message on the mobile. Liverpool 4 - 0 West Brom, it said. Some fellas at the back corner pumped their fists while checking their own phone, possibly because of Manchester United and Arsenal's victory as well that evening, whilst on the table next to them a few men scrutinised a bunch of metalic apparatus imprinted with a stylised 'YY' logos, debating heatedly with one another over the pro and cons of one to the other.

I suppose I'll hang around for a while, I thought.

I sat back and watched as the score came to sixteen-to-sixteen on the television screen as the group at the front cheered. Everybody was tense and excited, staring hopefully at the two men exchanging strokes of hitting what looked like a rounded cork affixed with feathers, bringing oohs and aahs as it were hit and returned.

The phone rang.

"Hello", I said, as the crowd around me erupted again, shouting 'Come onnnnnnnn, jiaaaaaa youuuuuuuu!!" almost in unison as jeers came from the bunch at the front.

"Me? Oh I'm in a cosy little place called...", I cupped the microphone and asked the man called Loh, "What's the name of this place, sir?".

"Badminton Forum", he answered.

---

Atrocious grandma! :eek:

8. Felicia_txh

Felicia_txh Regular Member

Student
    One day,after i watched a badminton match between LCW vs LD..Oh gosh,1st set:30-29 2nd set:29-30 3rd set:30-29..Chong Wei defeated LD...Unbelieveable..I felt it was amazing n i try to search the video of the match via yahoo n i found this forums...the next day I realised it was a dream..

OMG..i found BC in my dream..:eek::D:p;)

#28 Felicia_txh, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  9. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    You've been drinking again, haven't you? ;)

10. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    You have F&N's Apple Juice with Aloe Vera to blame for that.

11. Pete LSD

Pete LSD Regular Member

Soul Searching
    Man, you guys can write a badminton novel :).

12. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Only wilfred give full details about his first date with Bc.
    Others are just giving their 2 cents.
    But wilfred.up to 5 or 7 cents perhaps.

13. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    wilfred's one is more like USD100. hahahahah :)

14. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yeah. that would do it. the Apple Juice + Aloe Vera was what kept me sane during my 5 days marathon photo session at the HK Open last year.