ESPN's Ranking of Sports by Degree Of Difficulty

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Eurasian =--(O), Jan 31, 2007.

1. ShuttleShine

ShuttleShine Regular Member

Wow, badminton only scored 1.25 in the nerves category! Tell LCW, LD, or any player that you don't need nerves in badminton!

2. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

There's no "intelligence" category - shocker. In all my years of playing, I have NEVER met a stupid badminton player. Come to think of it, I have never met a player with less than above average intelligence...

Some of those ratings are just hilarious. For example, ice hockey: analytical aptitude of 7.5?!?! Hit the puck towards the opposite goal and punch the opposing players as hard as possible:D.

Oh sweet lord: I just spotted cheerleading...

3. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    If anything, those findings are indescribably pathetic!
    What a bunch of lame-duck analysts :D :D

4. crashandburn

crashandburn Regular Member

badminton player

Cheerleading isn't a bloody sport is it ???!!!!:eek::eek::eek::eek::p:p:p:p:p

5. Oldhand

Oldhand Moderator

Broadcast Systems Integration
    Of course not.
    There's no blood involved :p

But, yes, it is a sport now.
    There are plenty of competitions too.

6. aerotus70

aerotus70 Regular Member

i scroll down and saw that... next was pressing the X on top right corner of the screen... cant be bother with it

7. Birdwood

Birdwood Regular Member

I don't even want to read that report. But maybe they were talking about danger? Cheerleading can break someone's neck, not just leg :D

8. super__gao

super__gao Regular Member

hm.... interesting results. this being a badminton forum, i think most if not all members will be outraged with the results. i believe badminton should be higher than it is, but not as high as a lot of the members are saying it should be. i believe that a rank of about 20 or so would be fair to the sport. obviously the rankings are flawed, it's impossible for them not to be, so i think you guys need to take them with a grain of salt.

in my opinion, boxing is most definitely the hardest sport i have ever tried. not just because it's physically demanding, but also because it's nerve wracking. as soon as your hit, your really scared/discouraged to keep on going. also, try playing badminton (singles) for 3 minutes straight, then try boxing for 3 minutes straight and then tell me badminton is more tiring.
    if anything, i think that the sport which is underestimated the most, is autoracing (F1)

9. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer

If you are good enough at boxing.. the match will only last a few seconds :) Not very demanding for stamina.. :D :D

/Twobeer

10. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    but to be that good, that boxer gotta have lotta stamina for all those hard trainings:D:)

11. markham player

markham player Regular Member

medical
    While there isn't any bite, fishing is a very "difficult" sport. I think that's what they mean by degree of "difficulties". They might think rallying high clear in MS against each other is simple on TV that badminton is not that difficult but I think they are ignorant.
    Have a nice day & happy badminton.

12. Fan888

Fan888 Regular Member

Well said! Well said! I can't agree more :D Being a badminton forum, I am sure everyone here agrees :D:D But come to think of it, all my badminton buddies very smart and well accomplished individuals ;)

13. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I think so too..
    Basicly all the top players at my school are in the so called ' cambridge stream ', which is like.. in the 'smart category'. As far as I know, most people in the smartest classes plays badminton, while most in the 'dumb' classes play rugby.. I basicly know no 'dumb person' who plays badminton >_>, well except for some minorities..

14. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Intelligence is definitely a trait of badminton players. And humility too, apparently:cool:.

I don't think badminton faired too badly in the ratings, meaningless as they are. Hockey received its due, being ranked second. You've got to believe that it takes some sort talent to skate around for hours and still have the energy to drink 6 beer in the lockerroom whilst throwing sweaty jockstraps at each other. You can trust me on this since I used to play goal, and its fact that goalies are the most intelligent atheletes of all. :)

#94 Fidget, Mar 17, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2008
  15. KazeCloud

KazeCloud Regular Member

Student
    Well said. Although some people in our team is quite stupid.

The term "difficult" is a vague term to use.

However, I think relatively the rating of badminton's endurance, speed, agility, and hand eye coordination should be a bit higher. Even though its higher than a lot.

Its got be like 20th. Take a look at whats after 20. -__-

16. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Hmmmm...
    Ski jumping is after 20th and that's gotta be a lot harder than badminton.
    Bobsled and luge on the other hand....apart from requiring cojones of steel, is it really more complex of a sport than badminton.

All this is pointless fun. What's true is that to excel in anything--badminton, wrestling or oyster shucking-- it takes an insane amount of practice and dedication. Thankfully for the rest of us, to have fun you just have to show up.

17. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    no disrespect to the "educated" panel, but after reading through their specialties, i doubt at all they've even seen high level badminton. no disrespect to US badminton, but even if the panel has seen it, i'd still think they might rank it that low. they indeed should review it after seeing each at the highest levels, if not. not that i'm completely biased with badminton, but i've gotta admit that badminton MUST be more intense than team handball or something...i can understand the comparision between badminton and table tennis/tennis..but all 3 are split in different positions, and not even remotely close to each other...

18. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    every individual involves in a particular sport, sure will say his preference sport is tough.........;)
    wonder what will these people say if they are allow here;
    1. Tiger Woods - golf
    2. Frank Williams or Michael Shumacher - auto racing
    3. Valentino Rossi or Michael Doohan - motosports
    etc

19. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

I recently watched a Nadal match, and I wondered what rating tennis got for hand-eye coordination. I was dismayed (but not at all surprised) to see that it scored higher than badminton:confused:.

During the time one tennis crosscourt groundstroke is in the air, as many as five shots can be exchanged in a flat rally in badders. This makes tennis look positively leisurely. I'd like to see how Agassi, the best returner the game has ever seen, would deal with a Fu Haifeng smash...

I did find a rating I agree with, however: table tennis requires the h/e coordination of a coked-up fighter pilot:D.

20. ShuttleShine

ShuttleShine Regular Member

I have a pretty decent smash, and when I played with my friend, who is a very good tennis player, he retrieved one of my smashes at his body. I was very surprised.