Thomas cup predictions

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2008' started by Inky2000, May 13, 2007.

?

Who will win the Thomas cup 2008?

1. CHINA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. MALAYSIA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. KOREA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. DENMARK

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. INDONESIA

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. OTHER

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. koo_fan

koo_fan Regular Member

Student
    Ld's lost is sthing that make me happy.

2. X Ball

X Ball Regular Member

It is a good point -- Chinese singles had not done well in MO or IO in the past probably because of the humidity. Hence, I think it will not be easy for China. For that same reason, I think LCW will do well and hopefully the rest of the team maybe motivated to excel.

3. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Interesting factor, humidity and CHN MS performance. Even LD hasn't passed any INA, MAS or SIN Super Series q-finals over these 15 months. Didn't compete in INA last year and MAS this year. Best result was Bao Chunlai's runnerup finish in INA.

But I would expect Li Yongbo to send his players for conditioning early so that they are well prepared.

4. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    It has only been recently (Yesterday) Made into a poll.

I Disagree I am one of the Korean Supporters. KOR can win both CHN MD and therfore it will only take one upset in MS to take the tie.

The difficuly for KOR is overcoming MAS or INA, as there weakness in MS and INA/MAS strength in MD could expose them.

5. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

yeah, KOR have a shot. wait, i did say that in post #376! :rolleyes:

i think the point i'm trying to make is, the only certain point for KOR is MD2. MS1, MS2 and MS3 are at least 60-40 in favour of CHN, and MD1 is 50-50 at best. looks tough, they can do it, but i think INA have a bigger shot, especially considering they have home ground advantage. their supporters will give them a major lift.

6. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    INA IMO have limited chance MS1 & MS2 (SDK vs Lin and BCL vs TH) Taufik is a shadow and SDK too slow for Lin. If both MD win (not a certainty) then this leaves MS3 Santoso vs CJ I favour CHN.

I would say best Chance for KOR win is MS1 and MD 1&2. Unless SSM (if picked) can come in at MS3 and rediscover some form.

MAS must win MS1 & MD2 & MD2 because MS 2& 3 nowhere.

7. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    INA won 5 Thomas Cups in a row between 1994-2004 because even though we were theoretically weaker in MS than CHN, we always had world-beaters such as Ardi Wiranata, Heryanto Arbi, Hendrawan, etc. who had the firepower, skill, experience, and mental determination to beat anyone in the tournament. They were either All England champs or World Champs. The other countries also fear them...

I heard stories like this: when asked who wanted to play the #3 MS, who most likely will determine the outcome of the Thomas Cup finals, when most players hesitate in accepting such a big burden, Ardi [in 1994 or so] and [later] Hendrawan [in 2002] would voluntarily step up and say "Put me in the game, I will do it!" They did so with pure joy. Did you guys remember the kind of show Hendrawan displayed in 2002? Pure joy, I tell you. These INA MS looovvveeed the challenge.

Today we still have Taufik... if he is determined, he can play amazing badminton [especially in front of the home crowd]... Taufik is the type who likes attention... :p

As for 2004... yes we lost TWO MD matches in the SF against DEN. We didn't deserve the Thomas Cup that year. [I was there] :eek: :eek: :eek:

8. Wong8Egg

Wong8Egg Regular Member

I think both Korea and Malaysia has a fair chance to upset China, with Korea having the best chance.

For Mala, they can only root onto 1st MS (LCW), 2nd and 3rd MD (LWW/CTF or KKK/TBH), failure of anyone of them is almost a certain defeat. And yet LCW still lacking of a good strategy to against LD meanwhile KKK/TBH's performance is questionable.

For Korea, they should able to win both MDs consider their exceptional forms displayed lately. LYD/JJS should very well on par with CY/FHF if not better. On the MS side, they have both PSH and LHI to root on. Either of them has a fair chance to upset LD and/or BCL.

9. abedeng

abedeng Regular Member

Occupying Tall Buildings
    Err, I would beg to differ. 1994-1998, INA was clearly superior individually and as a team, CHN was in transition.

Except 2000 (Denmark was superior but couldn't manage the heat of battle) and 2002 (INA, MAS and CHN on almost equal footing). But as you said, the trump card is in the heart of the players when the tie goes down the wire ......:D :D :D

10. ronnie14

ronnie14 Regular Member

its getting hot in here.. 6-7 weeks more to thomas cup :)

11. taufik-ist

taufik-ist Regular Member

it administrator
    Christian hadinata: Ina team must decrease self-errors (blunder) if they want to win the thomas cup

12. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    Hmm... maybe... I remember INA's MS as being precarious... :p Our MD were very good with Ricky-Rexy, Deni-Anton, etc.

#392 Krisna, Mar 31, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  13. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

LD and friends had delivered China Thomas Team gained back the supremacy in 2004 (after 14 years long time sleep since 1990 TC's victory) at same venue with this year event, Istora Senayan Jakarta -- CHN beat KOR 3-0 in semi and DEN 3-1 in final. For individual tournament, it seems LD avoid INA Open, last time he participated IO was 2004 edition (December/04).

CHN is still strong favourite this time but winning chance between title holder and the other seedings (INA-MAS-DEN) is quite balance now. And KOR team is the surprise maker who may shock any participant.

14. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

I vote for China...in terms of line up...they are the strongest

As for Mas,....its an achievement...if they can enter QF ....a bonus if manage to go thru to SF......and no chance to win TC.....

For INA,......i think home ground advantages will put them thru to Final...to face Chn......

And for KOR.......as usual they'll be the darkesst dark horse ....ever in TC.....even darker compare to 2006...

15. tjl_vanguard

tjl_vanguard Regular Member

Student
    hahaha abedeng, LD won WC in KL last yr.. :D

16. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    that's my old post, Huangkwokhau. could u stop your personal attack?

that's not what I meant.
    my post refers to :

"electronic score board error" during SC 07 vs PSH
    bad call favour to him vs PSH in MO 08
    the same thing with the incident in MO 08, but this time in AG 06 SF vs LCW, when the score 20-18 or 20-19 for TH.

in SC 07, he got several point free from the score board.
    in AG 06 & MO 08, he know that it was a bad call favor to him, but he decides to ignore it.

last but not least, in Ina 06, the linejudge call the shot from CY is "in". TH complaint about it. after some "good chat", plus "pressure" from Ina spectators, the linejudge change his decision, it was "OUT"!

17. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    imagine if he argue with the refree (in AG 06), says that it was a bad call.
    I believe LCW can forced it until rubber - sets.
    I don't care who will win, but for sure, they are not as fit as Lin Dan.
    surely it can affect the AG 06 result.
    I highly doubt if an exhausted TH or LCW can win against LD, who slaughtered LHI in another SF match.

18. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    lack of sportsmanship probably the best word, compare to NO SPORTSMANSHIP. do u agree?

19. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    Ina win TC 94, beat MAS 3-0 or 3-1.
    the last match absolutely MS2 or MD2.
    no contest for MS3 match.

Hendrawan win MS3 match against Roslin, where Ina beat MAS 3-2

20. Winston_T

Winston_T Regular Member

Business Consultant
    that's right. I don't know why.
    YY or ZJH probably the last CHN MS who can win Ina open (15-20 yrs ago)