training at home

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by hihaca, Apr 1, 2008.

1. hihaca

hihaca Regular Member

I am a beginner in badminton. I can hit the shuttle fine but kinda lack of power. I was wondering if there is any practices or training I can do at home to improve my clearing and smashing power. Or does any one have tutorials or videos show how to effectively use your body power when hit the shuttle?

Thanks in advance.

2. kubuk

kubuk Regular Member

Student
    Squash racket training is one of the few trainings that you can do at home. Footwork can be done too (not really beneficial when you do not see the court)

3. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

you can always train your wrists when you're at home. try using small weights or a heavier racquet, like a squash racquet as mentioned above. or you could watch some matches to learn a bit more about tactics and court positioning.

4. Teppei

Teppei Regular Member

squash racket training really works?
    need to have more money to buy one.

5. riz125

riz125 Regular Member

Student
    i agree with every one but 1 thing i would also like to add to them is that get your badminton racket stand in front of the mirror try swinging it suchas try and do smash, do lifts, do serves etc. trust me wen u lookin at ur mirror pretending to do these you will spot some mistakes some times and you can get that sorted as well. this mirron technique really helped me doing a lot of jump smashes. cas i use to strugle a lot when i am jumping. i use lose control or dont get the smash right or dont use to swing the racket right so. i suggest have a crack see what you think. this is just a suggestion : )

6. Dreamzz

Dreamzz Regular Member

good for you that your place is big enough to practice jump smashing. my flat is tiny!

7. yy_ling

yy_ling Regular Member

Student
    play against the wall,

8. popopi0102

popopi0102 Regular Member

IT in Intel
    you can never win against the wall.....

9. Teppei

Teppei Regular Member

yeah, but you can only train your drive
    you cant train your net play

i wonder how to train my net play at home (not in front of the net)?

10. popopi0102

popopi0102 Regular Member

IT in Intel
    net play... easy training, bounce the shutter on your racket. this is the way i train... when you are able to get the bounce height on each attempt. you will be good on net play. dunno how to tell it. my english is bad....

11. Elixau

Elixau Regular Member

The wall might break!

12. coachgary

coachgary Regular Member

I wouldn't recommend a beginner to use a squash racquet at this stage. Learn to use a badminton racquet with correct technique before moving onto such training. You dont want to risk injury at such an important time.

13. skyjohnny1

skyjohnny1 Regular Member

college student

i am obsolutely agree with u......

this is my opinion:

1. use only one racket for playing and practicing. if u try to practice with a heavier racket at home, then u will have a lot of problem when playing. for example, u will always hit the bird with the edge of your racket during game play. you know why? because your playing(good) racket swing faster, and the timing in your brain is stunk to the previous one. therefore, never try to change your racket or has two different racket for playing.

2. learn how to hold the racket properly. most beginers like to hold the racket in the way that they feel good with .. this is wrong..if u do it, u will never be good .u can check out the pictures for holding a racket.

3. the swing: foorwork+swing=good shot. for footwork u can check the video in google. but the swing is hard, because u have to swing the racket in a proper way in order to hit the bird well..

4. how to swing: for clear and smash. (1). this is very improtant..learn how to hold and hang your rakcet before a shot( smash and clear). the pose is sort of like u are holding a spear and ready to throw it, except your arm and the tip of your racket is pointing to the upper front. in this way, give u a lot of power for hitting a shot. (2). if u watch the smash clearly in the video from the back of the smasher. u can see the tip of their racket pointing FROM THE TOP TO THE LEFT AND THEN RETURN TO THE TOP. it go counterclockwise...when the tip of the racket return pointing to the TOP(pointing up),THAT'S THE TIME IT SHOULD HITTING THE BIRD . pointing more to the front , that's a smash, pointing more to the top, that's a clear. now u understand me? let me give u a picture. let's say that u are holding a stick and try to hit an object with your stick. the object is high and over your head. if u wanna break the object u will swing your stick with all the power u got. but guess what ? if you watch your arm and the stick during the movement, the stick go from the right to the center, because the ovject is in the center position. u know what?? this is wrong in badminton, even though most beginer smash the bird in this way, and they will never improve..they can never smash the bird in a "BOOB" sound... Badminton require Wrist action... and the wrist movement making the tip of your racket pointing from the top to the left and then return to the top(hiting the bird).

5. top-left-top??? ----- before swing your racket, u prepare yourself by hanging the it, that's pointing to the top(actually upper front).... pull your wrist back(when all the way back, the tip of the racket should be pointing left)........finally, u use all the power to hit the bird. when your racket get contact with the bird, that should be point up.....

practice it at home, and look at your arm and your racket infront of the mirror....

#13 skyjohnny1, Apr 9, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2008
  14. Permochinon

Permochinon Regular Member

Student
    Yeah im having this problem i do a lot of wrist training*swinging the bottle half full water and after that i do streches* (until recently cuz it was rly hurting *i think i stretched a bit too much spending a whole day at school stretching it :p) and cuz i get stronger and stronger i get a lot of edges ... but im noob too ... but i think it will help me (maybe i cant see it right now but) im using an at250 so i really need wrist power recently my game is getting better (just before i stopped cuz i was afraid of serious injury)

So dont be stupid like me and dont spend a whole day stretching for flexibility cuz your not gonna be able to play and you are gonna be really frustrated:p
    But i think training the wrist at the begining is the best time , cuz later you will be able to concentrate on the technique

15. Shifty

Shifty Regular Member

Student
    you don't even need a squash racquet to do similar training. just stick your racquet cover on and it should provide enough resistance for even the buffest unit.

in all reality, don't even focus on strength training if you've just started. while you can't do the full footwork at home, try one step, where you only take the 1st step in any direction. this will help you become more explosive and react quicker. youtube is full of videos that will help. try searching for Zhao Jianhua. he's got some pretty good ones, and even if you don't understand chinese, what he says is pretty obvious from his actions.

most beginners lack power not because they are not strong, but because they don't know how to effectively use power. try find videos on proper forearm pronation.

16. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    at home deffinetly work on your swing and also i know some of my coaches have told me this the ones from asia to hold a racquet and just change grips with it in your hand you can do that while your watching tv or something just so you get use to it and do it fast and effectively as well you can practice the strokes for sure and watch yourself in a mirror that would be the most benifical for you if youc an practice your stroke just by itself and then incorperate in the footwork and get it down so that there are no bad habbits in it.

where im currently staying in trinidad im lucky cause inside the house i have a nice big empty room thats about the size of one of the halfs of a badminton court so im able to do some footwork in there as well we have what 14foot ceilings here and concrete walls so im pretty lucky in that sense if national training gets cancled i can easily just do some footwork as well as hit against the wall for some defensive practic as well as do some fast feet stuff all at home.

but at home you can also do some basic strength training as well as basic cardio, like you can do fast feet excercises as well which would benifite for sure on the court in terms of explosiveness.

17. granzon2

granzon2 Regular Member

wrist training can really hurt:crying:

18. Permochinon

Permochinon Regular Member

Student
    That's right :p

But as you mentionned zhao zinghua i recently took a look at em and the episode 15 is great for footwork

some are just too advenced lisen to em but ignore the most advanced thing *like the slice* for the moment

Zhao insist so much about how to use the wrist to get more power (that was the main purpose of the thread)

19. chrisnchips

chrisnchips Regular Member

Student
    An original one I have for you is:

STIR PEANUT BUTTER! XD haha, a full jar preferably.. and try to keep the utensil you're using to stir it in the same position as you would for holding your racket!

hope this helps xP and/or made you smile

20. jafffa

jafffa Regular Member

i think i'd eat it