Lin Dan punched coach Ji Xinpeng

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by rwchen, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Cindyy

Cindyy Regular Member

Got the message from JI's blog:

" 4月8日林丹与我发生了一些不愉快,昨天下午林丹已对我作出道歉!
    为了国家利益、为了队伍安定团结,我不希望影响备战奥运,这件事情已经过去了。谢谢球迷朋友对我的关心,让我们安心备战奥运!
    感谢大家! "

2. Louisa

Louisa Regular Member

Yesterday LD had apologized on what he did to me on 8/4/2008 (unhappy event, Ji didn't mention the exact scenario)...
    For the sake of Country benefit, to restore the team spirit n team cohesiveness, I do hope that this incident will not affect our preparation for OG08. Let bygone be bygone. Thank you for those who show care and concern, just let us prepare OG08 without any interuption...

my 2cents...hihi, not pro translator...

3. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Let me do a translation here:
    "4-April: There was an incident between Lin Dan and I (which left both parties unhappy). Lin Dan had apologized to me yesterday. For the sake of the country and team-spirit, I do not wish that this incident will affect the preparation for the Olympics. This matter was over. Thanks to all the fans for their concern and let us prepare for the Olympics in peace. Thanks to all!

4. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

Another version of this issue, taken from AFP through Yahoo!News :

Badminton's bad boy Lin Dan in trouble again
    1 hour, 42 minutes ago

China's world number one badminton star Lin Dan is embroiled in yet another controversy ahead of the Beijing Olympics, with state press reporting Friday he hit his coach.
    According to numerous reports, Lin struck his coach, Ji Xinpeng, after losing his cool during a training match on Tuesday, prompting a chorus of calls to punish the temperamental star.
    But top sports officials said Lin, 24, the nation's top hope for men's badminton gold at the Beijing Games, was only involved in a verbal spat with his coach and no blows were struck.
    Following the spat, Lin "was criticised for arguing with his coaches" and he also admitted acting inappropriately, the official China Sports Daily on Friday cited Li Weiguo, head of China's national badminton team, as saying.
    Other reports, including the China Daily, said that numerous journalists saw Lin strike Ji, but players and coaches quickly intervened and prevented the 2007 world champion from landing a second blow.
    The incident has caused an uproar on the Internet, with sports fans calling Lin's behaviour "intolerable," the report said.
    "The coaching team and chief officials have spoiled Lin. He should have been kicked out of the team earlier," the China Daily quoted one as saying.
    "What they care about is whether Lin will win gold ... if we send this kind of person to compete on the international stage, it's a shame for China's badminton."
    Lin, famous for his public spats with the reigning Olympic champion Taufik Hidayat of Indonesia, was also involved in an altercation with South Korea's Chinese head coach Li Mao in the Korean Open early this year, the report said.
    In that incident, Lin rushed Li after a questionable line call and appeared
    poised to strike the former Chinese coach with his racket before trainers and teammates again intervened, it said.
    Lin was not punished for that incident, the China Daily said.
    -- AFP (Agence France Presse) --

5. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    that sounds like an excuse wood 22 chuck.:D

6. badMania

badMania Regular Member

One interesting observation:
    These "negative" press keeps coming for Lin Dan (last year's China Open comments about line-judges favoring foreign players after he lost to Park Sung Hwan in the first round; this year's Korea Open fiasco and now another local incident involving fellow coach)....but surprisingly not for the other players like Bao Chunlai or Chen Jin :cool:

Hmm.....

7. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    If you were looking to label Lin Dan as "bad," sure, it might be taken as an excuse.

Is there a possibility for the reasoning I put forward?

I'll qualify by saying I don't condone Lin Dan punching Ji at all, that's unequivocably bad, no contest.

But the reasoning behind why Lin Dan lost it, is not addressed. Maybe he identified the void that the undisputed bad-boy image Taufik left, and wanted to fill it :D (Cooler will back me up on this point, since I "borrowed" it from him, and he's a much more convincing debater than myself).

-dave

#67 wood_22_chuck, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  8. azabaz_ipoh

azabaz_ipoh Regular Member

is second to badminton
    i dont try my hardest to label LD as bad. i just dont agree with some of his aggressive nature outside the courts. but ok. i agree you might have a point there. but it seems that whenever LD did something bad like throwing a racket, people points out that he was provoked. when he argues with his coach (since it cannot be proved that he punch anybody, lets assume it was just a verbal spat) you said it is because he has passion. all this still dont condone wrong doing right? when other players make mistakes and some people discuss about the possible reasons, other people say that those are just excuses. :)

9. badMania

badMania Regular Member

What is ironic is that the argument was over (what I think) was a minor thing in the Thomas-Cup simulation match:

“事情是这样的,我在赛前安排对阵时,当时说厦门队的陈龙属于林丹他们这一边,可能是在跟吉新鹏教练传话时出现了失误,他以为陈龙属于鲍春来那一队,所以在宣判结果时搞错了。”钟波认为媒体报道和事实的确有一些出入,“林丹怎么会打教练呢,因为我当时说陈龙属于他们组,按道理应该是他们赢,再加上他这人比较较真,当时双方情绪都有些激动,所以媒体记者误解了。”

One team member (Chen Long) was supposedly to be in Lin Dan's team. However, Ji Xinpeng was thought to believe that Chen Long belonged to Bao Chunlai's group. Therefore, when Chen Long won, Lin Dan thought that his team won 3-2. But, Ji Xinpeng announced that his team lost 2-3. So, Lin Dan was furious and confronted Ji Xinpeng over the confusion.

Both Lin Dan and Ji Xingpeng were also emotional at that moment, said Zhong Bo.

10. Cindyy

Cindyy Regular Member

Be honest, I don't believe Super Dan punched him....But may be really emotional...

11. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Passion over anything else, including respect for your "teacher" :eek:??

Another quote from sina.com.cn:
    称做队员就要这样,第一是尊重教练,第二还是尊重教练。国人讲究“师道”,队员和教练关系更是如此,丢掉了这一点,不是忘本是什么?

As a player, the first thing u have to do is respect your coach. The second thing is still to respect your coach. The Chinese ppl put a heavy emphasis on "student-teacher relationship". The same goes for the relationship between player and his coach.

I cannot write an appropriate translation for the last part: 丢掉了这一点,不是忘本是什么?Maybe someone else will provide a better one. But the gist is that if he abandons (forgets) about the fact that Ji is a coach, then, he has really lost it....

My opinion (u might disagree with me):
    I believe that "punching" is too exaggerated. Probably just some heated "war of words" and minor scuffles (pushing). However, regardless of any mistakes Ji Xinpeng made in the announcement, Lin Dan has no reason to even raise his voice to someone who's a coach in the team :cool:

12. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Maybe he was showing the coach how he could have done it to Li Mao. Misunderstanding I guess. hehe. This is call drama. I heard this in the news from Jean Danker today. I guess, they'll cool it. Lin Dan is too important to be banned from China.

13. Krisna

Krisna Regular Member

General Management
    No need to ban Lin Dan for life. Just give him a 3 months cooling-down period and skip the Thomas Cup in Jakarta... :p:D Proportional punishment laahh... ;)

14. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

kah kah kah, that's hilarious cooler. So.... TH would be "bad married man"?? & LD "bad single man" (depends whether the punching incident really happened) ?

15. Ching293

Ching293 Regular Member

李矛在得知林丹打吉新鹏的事情后,他拒绝对林丹打人发表自己的观点,“我没有看法!”李矛说道。不过,李矛透露他将缺席本月的亚锦赛和下个月在印尼的汤尤杯赛,“不去,怕被打,哈哈!”李矛开玩笑地说道,接着又补充了一句,“去也可以,但看来要穿防弹背心了!”

even li mao makes fun of it.
    http://www.chinabadminton.com/open.asp?id=11763&path=zhishi&filename=2008411104602.asp

16. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
    Olympic gold medalist hopeful can punch?

依仗球技,依仗奥运金牌你可以去发泄,可以做得出格一些。但是我们可以反过来问一下:即使林丹真的夺得了男单金牌,那他就该去打自己的老师吗?况且这个老师还是2000年悉尼奥运会羽毛球男子单打冠军吉新鹏,都说只见新人笑,不闻旧人哭,毕竟林丹还没有夺得奥运冠军,倘若林丹夺得了北京奥运会的奥运冠军,那他的拳头会不会挥向李永波,如果真的有这么一天,那我们也只能说李永波是为平时一再的护犊子自找没趣。
    Before even having won the Olympic title, LD punched the Olympic champion JXP. Well, we won't be surprised to see LYB get punched after the Beijing Olympic (if LD wins).

http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_4bd55b6e0100978l.html

#76 robin7, Apr 11, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  17. robin7

robin7 Regular Member

Dreamer
  18. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Ah....

..the drama of it all...:p..Well, it should be interesting to see if both LD and JXP will be watched closely in next week's ABC tourney...
    ...yeah, LD that is...:p
    ..erm, you sure you don't want to split up the 3 months? half for Thomas Cup and half for the Olympics???.....:confused::rolleyes: ;)

19. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Lin Dan strikes again

There's report that Lin Dan was mad during the internal Thomas Cup simulation matches and punched coach Ji Xinpeng, the incidence was witness by few reporters. There are many articles in Sina Sports of Lin Dan denial and coach Ji silence right after the incidence until this morning coach Ji accepted the apology from the super star. According to the survey, more than 80% of the voters think the incidence did happen.
    The funny thing is how Li Yongbo and Chong Bo trying so hard to cover the whole incidence and twisted the story more like the incidence happened in Korea against Li Mao. Many think Lin Dan has superseded Taufik on Bad Boy image.
    Chong Wei should take note, to be the best, this is how you should behave :D
    If you can read Chinese, here's the link
    http://sports.sina.com.cn/others/badmin.shtml

20. Han

Han Regular Member

Engineer
    Ops ... yesterday news? Man, I am a bit slow now a day, my apology!